LegacyGT.com

07 lgt bad turbo maybe?

ok so first off i dont know much about cars... So i was driving to a meeting today and as i was driving my car suddenly had lack of power... i would press the gas pedal and it would barely move. While driving there is a sound coming from the passanger side of the engine bay almost sounding like the exhaust is broken or disconnected somewhere but when u open the window or door the exhaust is still quiet... and there is a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood on the same side. The reason my guess is turbo is cause i do not hear any BOV any turbo spooling up and the lack of power but again i know basically nothing and was hopin someone can just give me an idea of what might be going on... i forgot to mention the car does not overheat and there is no smoke coming from the mufflers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't drive the car until you get those CELs scanned, sounds like something serious happen, and the only way at this point to determine it is by scanning.

Once you get the codes off the ECU, it will give us a better idea what is happening or has happened.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Could be a large vacuum leak. The blue t under the intercooler comes off often on these cars and will cause a drastic loss in power and you won't hear any turbo spooling sounds. I would check the codes and check that t to see if the lines blew off. If so there is a member here selling a barbed replacement so it will never come off again.

the cel could be cause of an older issue... so idk if the cel would have came on today... but im not throwing that out the window at all lol. My friend will be here around 6 and he will pull some codes i just hope its nothing to expensive altho im sure it is

Smoke coming from the DP area could be a torn CV boot (grease blown onto the DP), or a possible oil feed line coming from under the turbo. Take the turbo shield off and check all around the turbo for leaks, you'll have to get under the car to check the oil feed line or use a mirror from up top.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Definitely won't (just) be a vacuum leak. You'd still make some boost with a leak - just nowhere near normal.

My guess with the smoke and complete loss of power is your turbo is goneskis. I've seen the same kind of thing happen - without the smoke - where the turbo shaft had seized completely.

As F1inspiredGT mentioned CELs need to be checked first. They should never be ignored. Certainly not for a week or more...

Could simply be a clogged cat restricting air flow, could be a blown turbo. CELs should tell.

So if I read correctly...

a) you had a CEL on for over a week and didn't get it checked

b) you heard concerning noises and saw smoke, but drove for an hour

I truly am hoping for best case senario for you, but won't hold my breath. Either way this will be a good lesson. These cars need a lot of up keep and maintenance. It will only treat you as well as you treat it.

Good luck!

well considering i was an hr away and had to get my son from school at 2 yes i drove... i assumed the cel was from a censor either tire or o2 cause the car drove fine no issues or bogging... had an appointment to get maint done/car looked over but that has changed now

both... stand still and moving

Right... well don't turn on your car until you get the CELs checked and know what's going on. If your turbo is blown then you don't want anything making its way into the engine if it already hasn't.

Archived