LegacyGT.com

Who do you trust for repairs?

arnox

I would like to compile a list of the most trusted mechanics and dealerships in the New England area. I have a website that is perfect for compiling a list, and letting us all see the results right here.

I entered mine (but I still didn't find a good service place for my 2005 Legacy GT 2.5MT).

CLICK BELOW TO ADD AND SEE THE RESULTS:

http://www.trustedones.com/tones/arnox?location=waltham_ma&topic=cars&wisdom=3&radius=200

(to add your service place, login, and click the add note button, ...it's fairly self explanatory, but ask if you need help).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTTuner (Paul). He's a member on this forum, does the work himself, does not work for a shop. He seems to be able to do everything from service intervals to installing ANY aftermarket parts (exhaust, engine, suspension). I think the only thing he can't do is flush the 5EAT.

Otherwise, I haven't really been able to find anyone else I trust with my car :lol: ...but this website is a very good idea.

edit: Sorry, I've brought my car to Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham, MA and they did good work. Forgot about that.

We have a 2005 Legacy GT2.5MT and a 2009 Forester. My Legacy had the stuttering problem, and none of the dealership service shops c/would fix the problem. Fortunately, a SOA factory rep stopped by a dealership and identified the problem. The Subaru service shops' incompetence combined with being told that nothing was wrong with the car, was extremely frustrating. We also had trouble getting simple service for the Forester at CitySide. The incompetent service shops were Cityside, MetroWest and Clair, and I've posted them on TrustedOnes.

If everybody else would enter their experience, we'd have a good resource to tap into, right from this site.

Does Paul GTTuner have a shop?

Another nod for Paulie....top notch. Also, Scott at FastTrack Automotive in Peabody I believe. It was a while back he def knew what he was doing(specializes in suspension I believe) and is trustworthy.

-Adam

Hey there. I have my garage at home and I also use a friends shop in Cranston RI.

I'll post up my "waiting room" at my home garage / such a lavish waiting area, LOL.

Hey, a waiting room with wifi is all I need, but what matters even more is that the car is in good hands. Paul, if you have an address or two, please post both with your name/phone on trustedones. I'll definitely give you a ring the next time I need anything done on the GT.

Maybe the admins could create a sticky link at the top, that will let the users of the forum get a list of the shops and people we trust whenever we need a service place.

i second fasttrack automotive in peabody, MA; though they seem to have some difficulty with pressing LCA bushings. but still, trustworthy garage. and they're fairly familiar with legacys having worked on several from this forum.

once i brought my car in and they had a lotus exige in there, it was pretty cool. you would have never expected based on the shop's humble appearance but i guess word gets around.

as far as dealership experiences go, planet subaru has been pretty good to me in the past. i know there are polarizing opinions on this dealership but in my personal interactions with them they have had excellent customer service. they seem to be fairly mod friendly as far as i can tell.

edit: i haven't actually had to make any repairs on my vehicle with planet, just maintenance, so things may differ

Fastrack did my clutch, and did a very thorough job... excellent work. I had a clunking noise that they trouble-shot for no additional charge... now that's good service!

I have also used Baron's Auto in Gloucester, MA... way the hell out there for most people, I know, but he knows his stuff, and works on everything. Small shop with great work and superb prices. He's pretty busy, though, and can pick and choose the work he does, which is why I had to go to Fastrack for the clutch (he simply didn't want to do it).

I had a so-so experience with Fastrack. They're just too busy to get things done in a timely manner. Had a cyl 2 misfire shortly after they did my timing belt, so they spent four hours replacing a coil pack which didn't solve the problem. Said I could come back in a few days and they'd clean the injector. I bought a new injector from a dealership nearby and replaced the #2 injector myself - problem solved.

I live in western mass now, and Matt's Garage in Easthampton is my go-to shop for stuff I can't do myself, like CV boots, cam seals and alignments.

Hey, a waiting room with wifi is all I need, but what matters even more is that the car is in good hands. Paul, if you have an address or two, please post both with your name/phone on trustedones. I'll definitely give you a ring the next time I need anything done on the GT.

Maybe the admins could create a sticky link at the top, that will let the users of the forum get a list of the shops and people we trust whenever we need a service place.

Yes I have WiFi! Just shoot me a PM if you ever need anything or just advice.

I had a so-so experience with Fastrack. They're just too busy to get things done in a timely manner. Had a cyl 2 misfire shortly after they did my timing belt, so they spent four hours replacing a coil pack which didn't solve the problem. Said I could come back in a few days and they'd clean the injector. I bought a new injector from a dealership nearby and replaced the #2 injector myself - problem solved.

I live in western mass now, and Matt's Garage in Easthampton is my go-to shop for stuff I can't do myself, like CV boots, cam seals and alignments.

I no longer recommend Fastrack. I liked them for alignment work and tire mounting/balancing, but I think otherwise they do not do good work.

1. They messed up my SpecB LCAs while pressing bushings. The bushing came out half way. Glad I caught it or might have not been here. They replaced the arms, but denied responsibility (!) and told me to GTFO.

Additionally, I believe they tried to sell the damaged arms!!!! :spin: :spin: :spin:

2. They were about to jack up the engine in order to remove the cylinder #4 coilpack (to remove spark plug)!!!! :spin: Luckily I noticed that and showed them rotating the coil pack is all that's needed to remove it.

3. They misdiagnosed bad master cylinder as worn clutch. Not only that, I trusted them so I wanted to have them replace the clutch (that was on wife's car) - they gave me a quote, but could not provide information what brand of clutch they would get (!). Well, I bought a clutch myself (Exedy, cheaper, too) and when I wanted to schedule appointment to install it they told me it's 50% (!) more for labor if I bring my parts. I ended up replacing the clutch elsewhere, which did not fix the problem, then I looked closer and determined it must be the master cylinder (to Fastrack's "credit", another popular Boston area "performance shop" had no clue either, and even tried to tell me it's "normal" :rolleyes:).

I no longer recommend Fastrack. I liked them for alignment work and tire mounting/balancing, but I think otherwise they do not do good work.

Sounds like a series of bad luck and one bad method in replacing a spark plug.

It is very normal for many shops to mark up labor cost if you bring your own parts.

That being said in your shoes I would not return either.

Sounds like a series of bad luck and one bad method in replacing a spark plug.

It is very normal for many shops to mark up labor cost if you bring your own parts.

That being said in your shoes I would not return either.

Yes, it's not uncommon, but not 50%. Also they were presenting themselves as a "performance enthusiast friendly" shop, and that usually means installing parts brought by the customer. I was frankly shocked to hear that, especially after sending them several customers.

We have a 2005 Legacy GT2.5MT and a 2009 Forester. My Legacy had the stuttering problem, and none of the dealership service shops c/would fix the problem. Fortunately, a SOA factory rep stopped by a dealership and identified the problem. The Subaru service shops' incompetence combined with being told that nothing was wrong with the car, was extremely frustrating. We also had trouble getting simple service for the Forester at CitySide. The incompetent service shops were Cityside, MetroWest and Clair, and I've posted them on TrustedOnes.

Cityside... They claimed they replaced part on my car (under warranty), which they did not (coolant tank... the replacement was strangely just as dirty as the rest of the engine). When questioned they told me "we removed the part from another customer's car to get you on the road right away" (sic!! :spin:)

^^^^^-----

Agreed, just brought to cityside for squeeks and creeks, and they had my car the whole day and didn't fix a f-in thing. They called me 40 min before they closed saying they couldnt locate this, and that they have a call into SOA, and blah blah blah. My car pretty much sat there for 7 hrs while I was stuck carless at home on my day off. Then they said that they driven 3 or 4 times to diagnose the squeeks and had it in the shop for the past 3 hrs, I told them the odometer has not gone more than a 1/10 of a mile and that it was cold to the touch.

They were happy to set up an appt next week, and give me a loaner for as long as it took to fix the problem. I guess they tried to make good on there F up, but still a wasted day.

As for shops in Waltham, I know the guys at 3 sons autobody, they will do any body work you need, and most mechanical. Definately a good group over there.

habitual derail-er

1. They messed up my SpecB LCAs while pressing bushings. The bushing came out half way. Glad I caught it or might have not been here. They replaced the arms, but denied responsibility (!) and told me to GTFO.

yeah i had mine installed with them too and ended up having issues as well.

but otherwise i can't say i really had other bad experiences with them.

and of course GTTuner, i recommend, though i wouldn't necessarily call him a "shop", haha but definitely a good bunch of the new england guys have had their cars worked on from him :)

haha the post right above yours is recommending them. i went there for a dyno tune for my stage 2 setup, they do good work. had a bunch of cars in there being worked on, majority subarus, an old porsche that looked like its a race car (paint job), an evo i think. good group of guys it seems.

Archived