LegacyGT.com

Hit wheel, alignment issue, parts bent

rustler753

So I hit a curb during the rain not too hard, but hard enough to bend the front left wheel slightly, replaced wheels/tires and got it aligned. They got the wheels within specs however the adjusters are maxed out apparently. They said the steering knuckle was slightly damaged and the front left control arm was slightly bent. The car handles neutral on streets, I can leave the wheel alone, no shaking or wandering. However on the freeway I brought it up to 80mph and there was a very very slight vibration in the steering wheel, the car still ran true straight after letting go the wheel.

Should I worry about replacing the control arm and/or steering knuckle or you think the car sounds fine? Also, they checked to see if the wheel bearings were busted from the hit, and the front left wheel had play in it so could that be a culprit too? I'm definitely going to replace the bearing.

Get a Second opinion, also have them show you.I hit a curb at about 30mph after hitting a dip and the right front tire blew. The front Stock rims shattered on impact as all 4 tires jumped the curb.I replaced my wheels and tires. They also said I had destroyed the control arm as well.I took it to another shop for a second opinion who did wheel alignments on a daily basis, they didn't see the issue. I also went underneath the car to look at the supposed damage.

When I talked to BrakesPlus, they wanted to quote me for $680 due to the bearing/hub being one part thus more expensive, I called subaru parts, they quoted me $155 for parts and total of $309 for the job, what the hell is BrakesPlus pulling $680 from, I used to think that non-dealer was generally cheaper ><. Subaru service actually claimed it was 2 seperate parts, the hub and bearing were not one, so what the heck, no one has their story straight!

Don't go to a place called Brakesplus.

Find a real shop.

You likely need if you bent a wheel:

Control Arm

Knuckle

Wheel bearing -- This has either failed now or will fail in 500 mi

• 2 weeks later...
When I talked to BrakesPlus, they wanted to quote me for $680 due to the bearing/hub being one part thus more expensive, I called subaru parts, they quoted me $155 for parts and total of $309 for the job, what the hell is BrakesPlus pulling $680 from, I used to think that non-dealer was generally cheaper ><. Subaru service actually claimed it was 2 seperate parts, the hub and bearing were not one, so what the heck, no one has their story straight!

I'm running into a similar problem with my left rear wheel, except Brakes-plus couldn't get the wheel within spec and the eccentric bolt is maxed out... This means that I have either a bent eccentric bolt, or a bent control arm... today I'm gonna go to my local Subaru dealer and get them to do an alignment in order to get a 2nd opinion... I'm kinda pissed at Brakes-plus, they have apparently done a bad job on my car before (I found out yesterday when I was getting a 2nd alignment done that they may have damaged some parts when I asked them to do an alignment a month ago)...

• 2 weeks later...
Since this got bumped, turns out I did bust the front lest bearing, that got replaced, car got new set of shoes and re-aligned, it rights near perfect, slight vibration in steering wheel at 70mph+ but I'm going to get the tires rebalanced.

• 10 months later...
So I hit a curb during the rain not too hard, but hard enough to bend the front left wheel slightly, replaced wheels/tires and got it aligned. They got the wheels within specs however the adjusters are maxed out apparently. They said the steering knuckle was slightly damaged and the front left control arm was slightly bent. The car handles neutral on streets, I can leave the wheel alone, no shaking or wandering. However on the freeway I brought it up to 80mph and there was a very very slight vibration in the steering wheel, the car still ran true straight after letting go the wheel.

Should I worry about replacing the control arm and/or steering knuckle or you think the car sounds fine? Also, they checked to see if the wheel bearings were busted from the hit, and the front left wheel had play in it so could that be a culprit too? I'm definitely going to replace the bearing.

Archived