LegacyGT.com

5eat FREE SSM Thread

ClimberDHexMods

It's probably best to have a dedicated thread for this tool that was recently discovered--at least within this forum--for interfacing with the 5eat TCU. It's a pain to find the existing discussion on this in other threads.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbsmh4kok5afn89/FreeSSMinstaller.exe?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo9p7hpxt6brf2z/FreeSSM-1.2.5-windows-qt4-installer.exe?dl=0

^^^Download

This utility connects with your laptop to your TCU via the OBD-II port with a VAG-COM cable. VAG-COM cables can be found on eBay for <$15, and cable software drivers can be found with a little searching, or from the cable seller.

FREE SSM allows you to perform a partial or full TCU reset.

The first level of reset clears the check engine light (CEL) codes if present, and does whatever else the utility says to you in the warning before you confirm your selection.

The second level of reset clears the TCU of all learned values and all CEL codes, which means it will revert to factory shift parameters with a clean slate, and then shift adaptation learning will begin all over again when you drive around.

There is a 'proper' re-learning procedure that can be performed by your dealer with a Subaru Select Monitor (SSM). The SSM will tell the driver what to do while driving during the initial learning phase. Little is known about this procedure and whether it is actually necessary for the TCU to command normal, smooth shifting.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit: It worked for me with Windows 7 64-bit and Vag Com cable.

The release notes say it won't work with 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, which I have.

They also say it will work with Tactrix 1.3 connectors, but not the 2.0. I have the 2.0.

Needless to say I could not connect. Going to try a Vag-Com later and see if that works.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I have Windows 7 64 bit and a Vag-Com cable and I was actually the first on the forum to get it to work. Its actually pretty simple to get it up and running.

As of right now there is only 1 adjustment for the 5EAT and a lot of parameters that can be monitored but not logged. The adjustable value is for the center differential clutch torque but I don't think anybody on here has tried paying around with the values.

• Mega Users
It definitely works with windows 7 32 bit and a vag com. We need to figure out a way to log with it because max values are worthless most of the time. Lots of parameters! 5 minutes with it convinced me that I NEED a transmission cooler for stage 1 with barely any more boost than stock below 3500 rpm. Excellent tool...just requires someone to look at while you drive.

There is also some discussion in the 5eat tune your line pressure thread. Either way it all gets diluted with all the other posts, so hopefully it can be kept here where it can be followed without much topic interruption or dilution.

There is free software that allows one to make a video recording of their screen. Would be a nice way to record and playback a FreeSSM pull and compare line pressure target readings, sort of. Maybe have RomRaider gauges in the background to keep tabs on what's happening vs FreeSSM.

• Mega Users
I have not used FreeSSM so far other than just firing it up to see if it works, but ... what is this??

http://developer.berlios.de/dbimage.php?id=4248

Realtime (aka non-permanent like base) line pressure adjustments? It shows a 4EAT though :(

It still hasn't gotten there for the 5eat yet. I can't wait until that gets figured out! I can't think of any reason to adjust the pressure on the central diff.

• 2 months later...
Bump for the FreeSSM thread?

What *can* be done on the 5EAT, any updates?

Updates for hacking the stock 5eat TCU would be in the other thread. I have used this utility to read and reset trans codes, and you can also use it to reset learning. It can also read a ton of information from the trans' active operation.

Ya, you need the "real" SSM tool that the dealers have to change TPMS sensors AFAIK. It would be sweet if these guys could figure out how to do that with this tool. Would save lots of people lots of money! And would save me a 1hr drive to get my TPMS sensors programmed. Stupid tire monkey broke my sensor. They were happy to replace the sensor but it's taken me months to convince them that they can't program my car for it. Now I've gotta go to the closest dealer which isn't that close.

Ya, you need the "real" SSM tool that the dealers have to change TPMS sensors AFAIK. It would be sweet if these guys could figure out how to do that with this tool. Would save lots of people lots of money! And would save me a 1hr drive to get my TPMS sensors programmed. Stupid tire monkey broke my sensor. They were happy to replace the sensor but it's taken me months to convince them that they can't program my car for it. Now I've gotta go to the closest dealer which isn't that close.

Any tire place should have the tool to read the TPMS code. When I got my winter set with a set of TPMS on them, they woke them up, reflashed the TCU to recognise them and gave me the HEX numbers for free. I bought the ATEQ from tirerack.com for 100.00 and plugged the HEx codes to both sets of tpms senors in. This wil be the first year using it, but form my understanding as long as you have the HEX codes and the sensors are awake, the ATEQ will relash the TCU with the new codes.

But lets keep this thread about the 5eat and how we can fix our slow shifting issues, increase line pressure, hold more power, hard shifts, want to get to 5th as fast as possible thread...

Glad someone revived this thread because I was wondering ... In FreeSSM it seems that non-permanent means the changes are reset upon disconnecting the battery. So I wonder, would altering the line pressure make it, in fact, stick until you lose power? If that were the case then I don't see a significant issue. I will try this once the weather improves.

FreeSSM DOES allow one to dick around with line pressure, does it not?

Glad someone revived this thread because I was wondering ... In FreeSSM it seems that non-permanent means the changes are reset upon disconnecting the battery. So I wonder, would altering the line pressure make it, in fact, stick until you lose power? If that were the case then I don't see a significant issue. I will try this once the weather improves.

FreeSSM DOES allow one to dick around with line pressure, does it not?

Not on the 5eat. It supposedly does on some 4eats.

Archived