LegacyGT.com

Overheating & leak

Hey I've got a 1990 Legacy 5speed awd. I noticed a small (2" diameter) puddle on the ground under the passenger side of the radiator last week. I continued driving, planning to look at it on my weekend. Two days later, the temp spiked to the top and I saw more fluid leaking. I parked it and let it sit until yesterday.

I could still see fluid at the top of the radiator under the fill cap. I started it and drove it around for a few miles, then let it run in the driveway. The fan started okay and it didn't overhead. I drove it today and it started overheating again after a few miles. I looked at the radiator and there was fluid on the passenger side, but I couldn't tell where from. I couldn't get any heat inside the car.

I'm thinking it's a thermostat, any wisdom from the forum?

Trevor

Thermostat would be your easiest fix first. Get the car to operating temperature, and feel the top and bottom hoses.

If the bottom one is cold and the top is warm or hot, chances are, it is just the thermostat.

Make sure there isn't an overwhelming amount of pressure in the hoses as well.

Changed the thermostat, no luck. I noticed a hose toward the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side that seemed to be disconnected, but there didn't seem to be a way to plug it back in. I'll tear into it tomorrow, any ideas?

Archived