LegacyGT.com

Snow size & model

Shotokan1509

So I ready the sticky (does not list specific size I am looking at), and was looking through search threads, but with a bubble in my sidewall :eek: and getting hit with 12-18" in the next 24 hours I sort of need to make decisions and get this done this week.

Seems the most common size for LGT on the factory wheels are 215/45/17 (24.6") or 225/45/17's(25.0"), but I looked and Spec B's are 215/45/18's (25.6") stock? I always thought factory LGT size was a bit small for the wheel well, so can I run a 215/50/17(25.5")? Fill the wheel well and give tiny bit more ground clearance.

Also trying to make a tire decision, last winter I ran all seasons, did ok wished a few times for more braking/cornering grip in the snow, but being in Southern New England we do have a decent amount of dry winter days. I do go skiing quite a bit, all over NewEngland/NY/PA. I was originally thinking go real snow tire, but I might be better off with performance winters?

Edit: If I step up to the taller tire, how does one fix the speedo on LGT's? (sorry for noobster questions, the LGT is more my daily/snow mobile than my toy in my avatar)

The three main tires I think I am looking at are:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3: performance winter, good reviews, most expensive

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3: performance winter, good reviews, not sure I am finding any locally

Michelin X-Ice Xi2: True snow tire, really cheap online... not sure if I will be unhappy in dry conditions with a real snow tire?

Im not going to cheap out, but considering I will also need to purchase tires again come spring, I'd rather not spend a fortune

For a performance winter tire, I run 205/50/17 Pilot Alpin PA3's on the stock wheels. The slightly narrower footprint helps to cut through slush which is far more common in CT than hardcore ice and snow. The 50 series adds a little more sidewall to help with frostheaves and broken pavement. These aren't summer tire performance but there is very little drop in dry performance and they handle ice, snow, slush like a champ.

As for the speedo, you get used to it. Iirc, my 225/40/18 summers are off by 3 mph at 60mph. Really not a big deal for me

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3: performance winter, good reviews, not sure I am finding any locally

Michelin X-Ice Xi2: True snow tire, really cheap online... not sure if I will be unhappy in dry conditions with a real snow tire?

I looked for the Dunlop's myself and was unable to find any locally in the right size(North Seattle area).... Ended up going with the Micehlin's in 215/45, i have not had them in snow yet (that will be later this week), i have put about 500 miles on them on wet and dry roads and have not noticed any negative handleing features yet. With that being said i also do not beat on my car and drive it like it's a '97 Camry... The few times i have got on it has been on the freeway and they did fine. They are a little noisy at highway speed(above 60), although not enough to be bothersome, and not even noticeable with the radio on. So far i would recommend them, although i have nothing to compare them to, and for what it's worth they are ranked #1 in their category on Tire Rack.

For a direct comparison between the Pilot PA3 and the Xi2, Shotokan, go to the 2009 Car and Driver test here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/2009_winter_tire_test-comparison_tests

You can then interpolate/extrapolate the cross-comparison to the 3Ds via the many European tests which includes the Pilot PA3 and the Dunlop 3D. Use outahere's 2010 tests thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-winter-tire-tests-146153.html) as a comprehensive reference, but you can also get a quickie here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SP-Winter-Sport-3D.htm

[ And between the Xi2 and the 3D, you can also cross-search my screen-name here, as well as on NASIOC, where I am "LGT+WRX" - I've written about both tires before, even as the unlikely (because they are such different tires) direct-comparison, as we have these two in our household. These are two very different tires, both excellent at their respective end-purposes, but that's two VERY different purposes! ]

You're in between a rock and a hard spot :( , as you're facing a storm in the next day or so - but you also want to save money. Without that first constraint, I'd be tempted to drive as hard of a bargain as I could, locally, for a set of the PA3s, since North-America should see the PA4 by next winter. The 3Ds likely will perform better, but that difference will probably only be seen in the extremes of true testing conditions: nevertheless, by this time of the year, you may be able to strike a good deal on remaining stock, particularly if you were willing to compromise with either of the two speed-ratings (H- or V-rated).

FWIW, I'd drive a hard deal with the Xi2s, too. They are no longer the "top-dog" tire of the "Studless Ice & Snow" sub-genre (but remain top-tier), so you should be able to get some decent pricing. That's not to say that you should go with the Xi2s...rather, only that if you do go with them, don't let anyone pull the "this tire is #1" deal over your eyes (as, really, in all the European tests, it's already fallen off the top, now going on for the second year: my guess is that Michelin will counter with an evolution next year, starting in the European market) - you have every right to want to bargain. :)

As for the 215/50/17 sizing, if you're at all lowered on a [stock-struts/shocks] + [aftermarket springs] combo - even if only mildly so (i.e. "Pinks," iON Sport Specs, Tein H-Tech, etc.), you still will run a risk of rubbing with that tall of a sidewall.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

At this point the storm isn't the main push, I was out on it earlier with my A/S's and while ABS kicked in for a downhill stop sign, I did drive these last year with not a ton of problems. I'm just used to having BFG A/T's on my 4x4 Ranger that dig better.

Car will not be getting lowered, I want the extra clearance for snow (it might get swaybars & shock upgrades at some point).

Still going round & round on the tire class, thinking are the performance winter a big enough step from A/S's or should I really go all the way to the studless ice but then have the potential squirmy dry handling, noise, etc. I've done a 375 mile one way trip for skiing in both blizzard conditions and completely dry. :confused:

I went through the same indecision before going with performance winters. Fyi, I drove from Okemo to Old Saybrook, CT in a major storm with my previous set of Michelin PA2. At one point on 91 South, I was in 8-10 inches of unplowed snow in the space between the travel lanes and the HOV lane. With so much snow you just kind of drove wherever. I had no trouble at all while other people were spinning out all over the place. I wasn't on lowering springs at the time.

With winter performance tires you wont have the all out ice grip of snows but you won't lose your dry traction either for most of the CT winter which is dry

At this point the storm isn't the main push, I was out on it earlier with my A/S's and while ABS kicked in for a downhill stop sign, I did drive these last year with not a ton of problems. I'm just used to having BFG A/T's on my 4x4 Ranger that dig better.

^ Ah, gotcha. :)

Still going round & round on the tire class, thinking are the performance winter a big enough step from A/S's or should I really go all the way to the studless ice but then have the potential squirmy dry handling, noise, etc. I've done a 375 mile one way trip for skiing in both blizzard conditions and completely dry. :confused:

It's a hard decision to make, and as I always say to those involved in the decision, I don't envy them for that position.

What makes it harder is that while yes, the "Performance Winters" truly are that big of a step above and beyond (and in all honesty, even the "All Winters" will, at least until they're down to 6/32nd tread, still easily outclass any "all-season" in wintry precip. conditions), it can also be said that the more highway-oriented modern "Studless Ice & Snows" (i.e. the Continental ContiEWC, and even the Michelin Xi2) are far from un-livable on the highway - sure, they won't track with as much certainty as the "Performance Winters" will, but you're not going to be grandma/pa in the slow-lane, either. Heck, even today's premium "studdable winters" will have you at-ease at 80+ MPH.

The fundamental question boils down to something that our brothers here on LGT.com, outahere and Dr. Cloud, once so eloquently put: Do you prepare for the worst possible 25%, or do you prepare for the most commonly seen 75%?

^ And you know what? there's no right or wrong answer for that - it's all dependent on what you most value, and what you're willing to compromise. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I think it will be getting Michelin X-Ice Xi2 today, I may be annoyed by the reduced dry performance but I'd rather not have the "oh $*@#%)@!" moment in the nasty stuff.

Also going to stay stock size, the speedo being slightly off would bug the heck outta me.

Local tire chain lists 191 per, their website is 172 per, and he'll match tireracks $135 per (plus he adds $10 per tire for shipping which is reasonable to me)

Archived