LegacyGT.com

Clutch Improving???

I've noticed over the past few weeks or so that my clutch is actually performing much better now than it ever did before. It's gripping and launching the car when it used to just slip and stink. I'm not talking about punishing, drag-strip launches here - just spirited driving. I used to have trouble taking off quickly from a stop without either bogging the engine or slipping the clutch excessively.

This is my first AWD, manual transmission equipped car, so I'm sure my learning curve has something to do with it, but there's definitely more to it than that.

I expected it to get a little better with break-in miles, but it's much better now than I ever thought it could be. 12k miles and I get absolutely zero clutch stink anymore!!

Any other 5mt owners out there noticing this trend??

I noticed a mild improvement in grip a while back, after about 3 months of driving.

I am capable of launching (not strip style) the car easier.... but I think that's just me adapting to the clutch.

I've owned & driven many manual vehicles.... this is one THE hardest to launch I've ever been in.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Mine seems to be clearing up after 2k; I like to drive in reverse.

Also, I wonder if the clutch pedal return spring is loosening up a bit, although that has nothing to do with the stink. The spring is attached in the most "non-linear" travel position. The petal pushes back harder when it's half way out, at least to me.

Now, if I could just get the dealer to align the car, that would be great. Took it in once, yet no change. Plus, I have two rattles, maybe a third in the dash I heard the other day on rough highway. So annoying.

In addition, a screw that holds on the driver window bottom seal sticks out too far and has scratched the window about 2.5 inches. When you close the door with the window down the glass smacks the scre and makes a terrible sound. To start, the sunroof switch started sticking, then the sunnroof started vibrating. Turns out a slide the roof decends to, then rests on while retracting if just floating in there.. doesn't seem properly installed.

Next, I found 1 bolt holding on the passenger roof handle was not fastened down completely. Upon further inspection it was cross threaded. I was carefully able to twist it in properly.. It was in there pretty good body steel seemed good.

The center console squeeks. I can now determine relative humidity based on my center console sqeek.

Car hesitates. Not turbo lag as the dealer says. The car cuts out, even at high rpm sometimes. It is load dependent. Worse with A/C on, even more with 4 passengers, etc.

Otherwise, the car is cool. Good seats. I'm 6'2" 175. Euro arm rest on the way.. hopefully.

Everyone that drives my car thinks the clutch has been replaced..........but it hasn't ;)

Yeah - Mine feels like a completely different clutch compared to when it was new. It actually feels 'newer' now after 12k break-in miles.

Engagement seems to be more linear than before, too... :)

but that's just one day.. I jump in different cars everyday and I can tell my engagement point/shifting is different from every car.. there might be some wear, but the driver is more noted for the changes IMO ;) Drive a WRX one week, then the GT, then an M3, 2.5RS, then into a Baja, and then an S2k, you'll see that your footwork for the clutch will all "feel" different.. there is a subconcious thought out of all of us that is telling ourselves "don't' stall the car".
Keefe

I have been lucky enought never to get the dreaded "clutchstink", but my clutch seems to respond a little differently on different days, for no reason I've ever been able to find...

Some days it engages a little more easily and the car seems like it's really dialed in, other days the engine wants to bog and the clutch doesn't seem to engage without slipping it a little.

Purely psychological or is it possible that the clutch engagement can actually vary from day-to-day?

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

it could also be that you are getting use to the car ;)

To some extent I think you're right, but I don't think I can take credit for all of the improvement. This thing is "night and day" better than when the car was new.

Also, I used to get some of the clutch smell even with light driving - I don't even get it now with aggressive driving. I don't think I can take full credit for that improvement either :)

Purely psychological or is it possible that the clutch engagement can actually vary from day-to-day?

I think it's completely possible that the clutch engagement can vary under different conditions. I believe these are hydraulic clutches, so anything that might affect the properties of the fluid (temperature would be one example) could cause slight but noticeable variations in clutch performance.

I've noticed the same thing, FWIW...

There must be a layer of something that smells on the clutch when it ships from the factory.

I noticed the smell was there a lot when in reverse which is very strange to me. I will try reverse today and sniff sniff. If the stink occurs in reverse I will be baffled!

Basically the ""dual mass" flywheel has two separate sections with springs betweenthem like a typical clutch disk and hub to smooth the engagement and prevent chatter. The inner portion rotates against some springs before the outer portion is engaged. On the Legacy, the flywheel and clutch disk both work like this.

Dual Mass Flywheel

Clutch Disk

There must be a layer of something that smells on the clutch when it ships from the factory.

I noticed the smell was there a lot when in reverse which is very strange to me. I will try reverse today and sniff sniff. If the stink occurs in reverse I will be baffled!

I don't think it's that strange. I know I tend to slip the clutch more when maneuvering in reverse. You have to keep the rpm's up, but you want to go nice and slow. Several other members have mentioned that they notice the clutch stink while backing up.

Basically the ""dual mass" flywheel has two separate sections with springs betweenthem like a typical clutch disk and hub to smooth the engagement and prevent chatter. The inner portion rotates against some springs before the outer portion is engaged. On the Legacy, the flywheel and clutch disk both work like this.

Dual Mass Flywheel

Clutch Disk

Ah, I see.. I wonder if the stink is caused by the grease inside the dual mass flywheel burning.. I'm not sure I like the dual mass setup. I was blasting around tonight and the clutch doesn't seem to be capable of handling much.

I hope it gets better like my brakes did after a couple 90-0 stops. They are pretty good.. the ABS was active from the second I stomped on the pedal.

• 6 years later...
Hate to bring up an old thread but I still get the smell from my newly installed clutch about 6k - 7k miles ago, mainly in traffic going uphill with at least 1 passenger in the car. I'm pretty sure it's b/c my clutch pedal is not properly adjusted to the normal height it should be at. Before I had the new clutch installed, the mechanic adjusted the clutch pedal lower to compensate for the issues prior which didn't seem to do much but I kept it that way. Now that the new clutch is installed, I don't think the pedal was ever adjusted back to way it was previously (normal height). I've been told that it may be the problem since it indirectly adjusts the clutch master cylinder which can change how the clutch feels with engagement and disengagement. Think this could be my problem?

Get it adjusted back to where it should be.

Don't tell me you put a OEM clutch back in the car ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i did...

i'm not planning on doing anything to the car although i know i really should have gone with something different/known to be better. but i didn't.

i'd like to hear what you're thinkin, Max...

I have owned 3 GT wagons since my 1998 one. All the stock clutchs would slip and smoke backing up in 3" of snow. That tells me they are a POS.

If you get the pedal adjusted so there is very little or no dead play at the top, that's how stock is, you should be fine.

I'm thinking if the pedal has dead play at the top before you feel any pressure when you step on it. That is not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage, or is that backwards.

If you step on the pedal and you feel lots of pressure, may be the throw out bearing is already pushing on the pressure plate and not allowing full engagement and this is why the clutch slips.

My cars seem to have a little movement that I can feel pressure before the TOB hit the PP.

I remember back in the old day's with a linkage clutch set up, you would have about a inch of dead play at the top of the pedal before you felt the TOB hit the PP.

BAC5.2 is good with this type of question. You should PM him.

Don't tell him I sent you...joking LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ya i have some dead play at the top so i'm thinking i need to get it adjusted asap. and yes i have not been impressed with this clutch at all (i think it's an exedy or something, i forget).

ya i'll shoot him a PM to get his thoughts as well but you've pretty much convinced me as this was my initial assumption.

since it got installed and was acting/smelling like this at times, i've just wanted to sell and get another one (probably an 08 or 09). this along with the dash rattles has been a disappointment to say the least. Other than that, all is good with its performance.

Thanks for the help, Max C.

Don't be so quick to sell. With a good clutch the car is fun. Exedy does make some good clutchs, but they have to make what the OEM wants. Good or bad.

It's cheaper to keep then a newer car.

For dash board rattles, there is a thread about them here. I just stuffed some black foam in where I could and that seems to help a lot.

I find they are temperature related.

they're temp related typically however i'm hearing them all over, about 5 diff areas. i've read through all the related threads and feel that taking off the dash is about my only option and that just might not be in the cards as i don't have the patience nor the time to do such a project.

however, i might be able to have my mechanic spend a little extra time after he takes off the dash (maybe next winter) as im going to need my heater core replaced as it's been acting up for months and is covered under my warranty. This in turn will require the dash to come off so might as well clear up the other issues while they're at it.

Back to the clutch discussion... i don't really plan on selling as i'd love to not have car payments soon. just wishful thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be so quick to sell. With a good clutch the car is fun. Exedy does make some good clutchs, but they have to make what the OEM wants. Good or bad.

It's cheaper to keep then a newer car.

For dash board rattles, there is a thread about them here. I just stuffed some black foam in where I could and that seems to help a lot.

I find they are temperature related.

MaxC... can you tell BAC5.2 to shoot me a msg.. i've been trying to get in touch with him for a couple weeks.

Thanks

Archived