LegacyGT.com

Dual Mass Flywheel To Single Mass Flywheel

Hi,

My Legacy has now done 94k miles and is in need of a new clutch. It's a JDM MY04 Legacy 2.0 GT Twin Scroll 5 Speed Manual.

My local Subaru garage can source a genuine new clutch (quite expensive) but just about affordable but I have since discovered my car has a dual mass flywheel.... :eek:

Another garage thinks there is a about a 50/50 chance that the dual mass flywheel will also need replacing along with the clutch.... at this point I'm starting to feel a little unwell.... as the price for the job is getting higher and higher... :(

I read a few posts on these forums where people have replaced their dual mass flywheel and clutche with a single mass flywheel and clutch assembly and so I am keen to follow this route as the overall cost looks like it will be quite a bit cheaper. However, I don't know if the dual mass flywheel on my JDM Legacy is the same as the dual mass flywheel on the USDM Legacy and so I don't know if any of the options discussed on these forums would work on my car?

Also I don't seem to be able to see any part numbers of the alternative single mass flywheels and clutches mentioned so I would not be sure what to order anyway; any help on this much appreciated.

Next problem; the synchro's in 4th and 5th gears in my gearbox are worn so I was looking to repair or replace these at the same time as replacing my clutch. My garage quoted some horrendous price for the new parts so I am considering a second hand gearbox. Apart from gear ratios and final drive ratios (mine has a final drive ratio of 4.444) will gearboxes from other Imprezas fit my Legacy without modification?

All help / advice, as usual, much appreciated.

Regards,

Telephonewire

PM BAC5.2, he has a lot of knowledge in this area.

You can tell him I sent you. Even with that, he'll take good care of you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OK - I have found out that the OEM part numbers for a 2005-2006 USDM Legacy, with a dual mass flywheel, are the same as the OEM part numbers on my JDM 2004 Legacy which also has a dual mass flywheel.

• 12345AA010 Flywheel
  • 30210AA550 Clutch Cover
  • 30100AA810 Clutch Disc
  • 30502AA120 Release Bearing

That means that all the aftermarket single mass flywheel replacement kits for the USDM 2005-2009 Legacy’s will also fit my car!

I have also found out the OEM part number for a 06+ WRX / 07+ Legacy single mass flywheel is 12342AA090.

However, I would like to find out what the matching OEM part numbers are for the 06+ WRX / 07+ Legacy for the following parts:

- Clutch Cover

- Clutch Disc

- Release Bearing

Can anyone help?

I would suggest simply ordering a clutch kit that fits the 06+ USDM WRX / 07+ USDM LGT. It will have the requisite parts included.

The 06+ WRX and 07+ USDM LGT have the same PN for flywheel.

Does this help? http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_5/manual_transmission/clutch/

I'm not sure if you have the same specs as a European car: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/en_b13/

(After looking at it for a bit, see if the PN's make sense - I didn't notice the flywheel PN being matched in those illustrations, so I can't say for sure if those are the compatible P/Ns).

I believe you need different flywheel bolts when converting from DM to SM, but I'm not 100% on that since I haven't had to do the swap (I already have an SM flywheel, afterall).

I'd probably advise against an OE clutch. The local price will probably be absurd.

Your best bet is to PM a vendor and have them set you up with everything you need. I'd choose InfamousPerformance over some of the other supporting vendors with more questionable ethics. I'm sure Mike would be happy to help you out, and be willing to ship what you need internationally. What country are you in?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I believe you need different flywheel bolts when converting from DM to SM, but I'm not 100% on that since I haven't had to do the swap (I already have an SM flywheel, afterall).

I'd probably advise against an OE clutch. The local price will probably be absurd.

Your best bet is to PM a vendor and have them set you up with everything you need. I'd choose InfamousPerformance over some of the other supporting vendors with more questionable ethics. I'm sure Mike would be happy to help you out, and be willing to ship what you need internationally. What country are you in?

Both bolts work. The hex head are just much easier to work with. Ask me how I know? We got 5 bolts and a turbo flange stud instead of the complete hex head bolt set. Loctite'd the OEM torx plus bolts in and no problems.

Archived