LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

For all you guys that have tablets in your cars I was wondering if you ever had any trouble with then not working in the winter? I live in Wisconsin and im worried that the LCD crystals in the screen could freeze when we have some of our -20° temperatures.

The 2012 N7 had some noticeable screen lag/ghosting on very cold (~ -10°F) VT mornings in the past. The stock navi also had issues around that temp as well. Both still usable but more responsive once the car warmed up.

I plan to put the 2013 N7 in as a replacement/upgrade in a few weeks. Will post if I notice anything like the old ones.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
For those who use the rom from timur, do you have a link to download the rom designed for the 2012 N7? His website no longer has it available for download :(. It only offers the rom for the 2013 n7 and I am not sure if this rom could be installed on the older n7..

• 1 month later...
Is it called cm-10.1-20130817-USBROM-grouper-1.zip? If so, I have that one. I have it from a while ago when I was interested in using it but never did apply it to my Nexus.

Sorry for the late reply...

So what do you use now?

I'd still be interested to have it. How big is the file?

Edit: actually I found a copy of it on the web..

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Ok great! If you do end up using it, let me know what you think.

I upgraded from stock firmware on 4.4 (which made it horribly slow) to CM and it was good enough for what I wanted (root access with better performance). I grabbed that mod as well in case the CM wasn't good enough or if I eventually need a USBROM for my backup camera. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Alright, so I have successfully rooted my n7 2012. I am about ready to install cm-10.1-20130817-USBROM-grouper-1.zip but I am not sure if you can do that while lollipop is installed on the device. Does anyone know? Can't find the answer online :(

Bump

I have a feeling the answer to my question is you can't. Looks like I should downgrade to a previous Android version before installing that ROM..

• 5 months later...

As an update, just bought a Nexus 7 (2nd gen, 2013 model) and purchased the Timur's USB ROM and will likely install that on there.

My 2012 Nexus 7 stopped charging about a week ago, and I think it may have to do with our hot weather the past couple of months. I doubt +60C internal temps is good for the tablet.

I just installed an iSimple Bluetooth FM modulator and used a CD slot magnetic mount to put my iPad in the Subaru. The screen is a bit large (would be more ideal with an iPad Mini,) but it works great.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/30/48e1d802c4a1582e05829feb6ff4cae4.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/30/703a48523d96acbbe4f61f6e5dc373af.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/30/e9330238c187efefc6916f738e131bf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jwa4378

Which magnetic mount did you get? I just got one about two weeks ago. It is a Mountek nGroove Snap 3. It holds my nexus 4. I love it but one morning I went wot in second gear and the whole thing fell off. Too much torque I guess :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
uh oh, looks like the nav bezel is currently unavailable :(.

p/n 107-203-002 from japan parts.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/13926

please tell me I am wrong..

Which bezel are you looking for, exactly?

If it's the OEM Navi bezel pictured in this thread, hop on over to subaruparts.com or your favorite vendor and look up P/N: 66060AG07B

I only have photos of my 2012 model tablet in there. Just put a 2013 model in there a few weeks back.

Fit is the same as how the 2012 was placed tough. It pushes the vents out but when placing the bezel back in place the opening in the dash squeezes the vents back into place.

I hope that makes sense. If not, I can get some photos next time I have it taken out.

Top and bottom is slightly narrower, but it still fills the space and there are no gaps top and bottom.

I can get you a photo of the enclosure while it's installed no problem. I would just rather not take it all apart to show the inside mount and all until I need to get in there.

Top and bottom is slightly narrower, but it still fills the space and there are no gaps top and bottom.

I can get you a photo of the enclosure while it's installed no problem. I would just rather not take it all apart to show the inside mount and all until I need to get in there.

great. Yeah, don't take the thing apart, I just want to see how it fits when it is all installed.

How did you deal with the usb port? You drilled a hole through the vent?