LegacyGT.com

ER HC Code on Odometer

I have a 2005 legacy gt, came home, ran inside for a couple of minutes, came back out, tried to start the car and it wouldnt start. The code ER Hc came up on the odometer and it still wont start.

I've read a couple of things on here and not quite sure what could be the problem. Are the green connectors under the passnger area suppoosed to be connected or disconnected ( a little confused on this), they are currently disconnected. Any ideas on trouble shooting? Any help would be great.

or the large connector under hood next to turbo came open

If not that, I'd pull the battery cable for 15 mintues and then try and start it again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It may be the connector under the hood next to the turbo... I had some work done to it in that area of the engine like a day before this happend. what should I be looking for?

And I pulled the battery cable for a couple hours and nothing happend.

on the shock tower you'll see a big gray handle on the connector, unlock it, pull it apart and reconnect it and lock it.

I'll send you a link to the service manual.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Check the battery terminal connections as well....could be loose or corroded

well dunno about that . if there is not enough power for the ecm to work the custer usually won't work either !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

the batt connection could be bad, but it could be good enough to power the ecu. once the key is turned and the starter pulls current the ecu looses connection and throws the er hc code. can also happen when the battery is starting to go south.

• 4 months later...
im having a similar issue but i got e1 ru, car kept dying, checked terminals on battery reconected now it starts but idles all weird and keeps stalling, cel is on and cruise control light flashes...?

Some of those errors are due to the computer communication errors

First thing to check is the large connector on the passenger side under the hood it has a lever on it open it and shove it back together.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 3 years later...

I'm having the same problem rite now!! Car won't even turn over but there's power and my coolint is all the way at the H and it's showing ER HC on top of the odometer,

I Tried unhooking the battery. Then checked the fuses. Tried resetting it with my obd2 scanner . Still nothing.... I already set an appointment with a Subaru dealership on Friday but until then I would like to try and do it myself. I got some codes off my scanner they were P0817, P1718, C0119, C0140, C0111. Any help anybody???

How are your chassis grounds? There are 2 underneath and 2 more on a bracket on the back of the driver side tgv housing. Those can cause this err hc sypmtom. Other things to check as mentioned in the post is the wiring harness connector by the passenger shock, and all battery connections/leads

I'm having the same problem rite now!! Car won't even turn over but there's power and my coolint is all the way at the H and it's showing ER HC on top of the odometer,

I Tried unhooking the battery. Then checked the fuses. Tried resetting it with my obd2 scanner . Still nothing.... I already set an appointment with a Subaru dealership on Friday but until then I would like to try and do it myself. I got some codes off my scanner they were P0817, P1718, C0119, C0140, C0111. Any help anybody???

The only time I have seen my temp gauge spike and the ErHc code come up is when I am flashing the ECU. Were you messing with the ECU before this happened?

Archived