LegacyGT.com

Rough Idle - in Park and Neutral, not in Drive!

So, I finally found a cherry Legacy GT Limited for the girl friend. 2005, with only 31,000 miles, owned by a local doctor.

Long story short, I checked out the car, and it seemed fine. It had a leaking oil cooler, which was replaced under warranty.

The 60,000 mile, 5 year powertrain warranty expires in September.

So, when the LGT is warmed up, after driving for a short while, the LGT idles pretty rough when you put the car in Park or Neutral.

The strange part is that it does not do it in Reverse or Drive...which is usually just the opposite with a rough idle. The lower RPM caused by the load on the torque converter in R or D usually causes the rough idle...not the case here!

Anyone have this issue before? The dealer says it's "Normal"...it's the turbo. Seroiusly. Can't pull the wool over my eyes.

I checked all the TSBs...didn't see anything.

I figure it's got to be the MAF, Injectors, Coil Pack, or Plugs.

The engine hot idle must hit a certain duty cycle on one of the injectors to make it angry....thoughts?

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

I am in the same boat and am really curious. Dealer said the same thing to me and was curious if anybody else out there with an Outback XT has a rough idle when the car isn't moving. I just need some piece of mind. Unfortunately I already bought it cause I didn't get the rough idle on both test drives I did.

Yeah....kind of blows...but if it's normal, then that's fine.

Just wanted to get a clean bill of health before I throw on an exhaust and other go fast goodies.

I would bet you have a vacuum hose leak, every idle issue I've had has been from a hose that was blown off somewhere. Take a look around your engine back for any vacuum hoses just dangling. Do you have any logging capabilities?

I have the ability to log with a Modis...I've glanced over the engine...didn't see any hoses blown off.

In that case with a loose vaccuum hose, I would expect that the idle would get worse in gear while stopped (lower RPM due to torque convertor load), but that is not the case. So it seems electronic.

IE, 600 RPM, in D or R, foot on brake, 0 MPH, no shake.

750 RPM, in P or N, foot on brake, 0 MPH, shake.

i dunno, but you could always check and clean your OCVs. i had the rough idle problem, but in 1st and threw the CEL (P0022 IIRC). the driver side one is easy to take out, but the passenger side is a bit tougher. clean it with some WD40 and see if that helps.

edit: it was a P0021 code that i threw (banks 2 and 4). anyway, check this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18887

i dunno, but you could always check and clean your OCVs. i had the rough idle problem, but in 1st and threw the CEL (P0022 IIRC). the driver side one is easy to take out, but the passenger side is a bit tougher. clean it with some WD40 and see if that helps.

edit: it was a P0021 code that i threw (banks 2 and 4). anyway, check this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18887

There's another avenue where something is going on....

Spark Plug

Coil Pack

Fuel Injector

Camshaft Position Sensor (new addition)

Wish it pulled a code so I can narrow it down. It runs fine otherwise!

<insert angry icon here>

Thank man!

ecuExplorer eh? Gotta look into that.

Get one of these:

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/obd-cables/obd-ii-cables/cable-j1962m-right-angle-to-db9f-4-3-ft.html

and

download goodies here?

http://code.google.com/p/ecuexplorer/

Archived