LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt limited

Kodybarbera

I test drove an 05 legacy gt limited with 100k miles today. It felt nice and had no clunking or major rattles. I am very interested in the car but the miles worry me. He recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced (withing 1000 miles). He is asking $8700, is this a fair price? The car is very clean but I'm hesitant because of the miles and turbo problems I have read about

Based off my personal experience, I'd recommend running a compression test, and if mechanically inclined, inspect the turbo for any shaft play.

There's 100's of things to look for but a few key things I picked up from forums is to check for:

knocking at low rpms while under load

Wheel bearings noise (easy fix not a deal breaker)

Oil level (if low walk away no matter how much you want it)

Any mods or tunes?

Service Records?

Car Fax / Autocheck

# of prior owners

Why is owner selling?

Also a good rule of thumb, if the interior and exterior are in good shape most likely the owner took care of the engine.

And always, if you like it, go with your gut. Good luck with the purchase!

It's had 4 previous owners. It's at a dealership. It doesn't have any mods that I know of. I didn't hear any wheel bearing noises or knocking (heat and radio were off and I listened for it). I don't know of any records but do know the owner of the shop where the timing belt and water pump were replaced and I may call and see if they remember the car. The interior is very nice. It wasn't detailed because there is still some normal "dirt" in the car. Only one scratch on the exterior. It looked like it was taken care of. I'm just worried about the reliability because it will be my daily. I put maybe 1000 miles a month on my car. My current car has 160k and it's starting to nickel and dime me. I will be making payments and don't want to be paying for a car that's in my garage all the time.

250k on mine. it all comes down to regular maintenance. I too though am scratching my head at 4 owners. i'd get it tested first.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Looks cool man. So about that turbo... If uuy test drove it and the engine felt really strong @ +3,000 rpm and made a nice winding noise without any grinding then you're probably good to go on that turbo. Once they are ready to go you can hear that something is wrong plain as day. Your probably fine.

Archived