LegacyGT.com

First Time, First Post

Hello All Members,

I'm new here and just Got 2005i 130,000Kms Wagon Canadian Built, got this Legacy now. Anyhow everything on it is fine few rust and dent on the hood, the rest is fine no engine check warning light on the dash, running great on straight path, but I notice something which is bothering me, when I make a turn especially at full turn the car runs slower, and from stop going to a turn the car like it don't want to turn the wheels, it was like locking. Previous owner before told me that it was normal for AWD. I'm using it for now started to change the motor oil and gear oils. is there something wrong with it. I check underneath and the rear differential had leak around the seal. Please let me know if there's something serious to do with the AWD I'm lost here and kind of finding something to sort it out, I want to keep this car in running condition and want to last for another 100K or more. Please HELP!

I wonder how deep the tread is on each one of the four tires. They should ideally be within 2/32" or 1.6mm of each other. Subaru's are very sensitive to tires having different tread depths.

Thanks apexi, the tires are on the last season and changing it soon with winter tires if that is the issue, but If the tires are the issues, why it is holding the tires when I’m not almost running, I have a hard time to park, cause once I turn the steering the car stops too, so instead of my foot is on the brakes, now it is on the accelerator, I have Nissan Murano AWD before but it was not like this one.

I was thinking the center differential could be binding up, mismatched tires, or a bad center differential could cause that. I don't know though, I wouldn't worry about that yet, I'm interested to hear what others think. My guess could be way off.

I am curious though, do hear any clicking noises when the car is moving with the wheel turned, like when pulling into or out of a parking space for example?

How's your power steering pump, is it noisy when you get to lock? Is your power steering fluid black or dark brown? Is the pump leaking? There's an o-ring that tends to go out and cause a leak. I could imagine it causing a problem especially at lock if you don't have an adequate amount of good fluid in the system.

Brought to you by Pfizer

If you're going to check the o-ring, I would have a new one on hand. They're only about $2 from the dealer, and you might as well replace it if you're opening the system. I would probably have some extra ATF on hand too, it's hard not to spill any when inspecting or replacing that o-ring.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

It's ok. If the o-ring is original, it's pretty much guaranteed that it has shrunk and could possibly be letting air into the ps system. From what I understand the ps system will bleed out air on its own, but still, preferable not to let air in of course.

Subaru recommends their ATF-HP in the ps system which is what I use, but they also say that regular dexron III fluid is acceptable as well.

atf.thumb.jpg.706825ee504a12b1f142d280a22a276e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived