LegacyGT.com

Strange problem with a dual mass FW

birkhoff

2005 GT Wagon.

Putting things back together with a new-to-me dual mass FW, since I already had the disk and cover for the dual mass on hand. At install time I noticed something I guess the previous FW owner didn't: the centre part seems to have rotated and got stuck about 10 degrees counterclockwise. The FW bolts cannot be removed through the cutouts in the centre ring, and I can't really get the torx bit straight enough to properly torque them.

Has anyone seen this before? I assume it means the FW is forked.

I made some half hearted attempts to knock it back into alignment but it seems completely locked. Even if I could get it to snap back, I'd be wary to install it. So I'm more curious than looking for a solution here.

But if there is a solution . . .

Quote from the dealer of $230 + Tax for a clutch disk compatible with a SMFW and cover, which I also have on hand, got me more motivated to figure this thing out. It actually can be moved (rotated) but is very tight. Not clear where it is binding, but I can shift it with a block of wood and a big hammer about 1 inch overall at the rim.

So, it looks like I've got myself a hybrid DMFW/SMFW plus compatible disk and cover so that's the way I'll be going. If this proves to be a very bad idea, I'll update this thread later with appropriate warnings.

Same thing happened to my oe dmfw flywheel. It's on it's last legs, definitely don't reuse it.

It's common to convert to the smfw setup, you'd be best off going that route but double check you have all the correct parts before installing it. Nothing should be 'hybrid' though, you should be using a complete smfw setup with the proper disk and pp for the smfw.

I got my single mass OEM FW and Spec 2+ clutch from "Underdog" had it installed a year ago. works perfectly.

PM "Underdog" if you need parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well it's in, with about 100 km break-in and seems fine. I had the parts on hand and the motor had to go back in. Local dealer is super expensive if I wanted to go back to SMFW on short notice and I had no desire to sit around with the motor out for 3 weeks waiting for online parts by dogsled (I live in Canada).

Personally, I don't notice any difference at all, either compared to the original DMFW that I pulled out about 50 K ago and threw away, nor with the WRX SMFW setup that replaced it. Maybe it's my fault for being so undiscerning. Did I mention I live in Canada?

So I'm thinking, maybe there's business opportunity here. Buy up all the old DMFW. Weld 'em solid and resell as the newest go-fast item. -- extra heavy flywheel for those monster HP setups. And fully compatible with all your other gear since it's OEM ... which is a good thing, right?

Same thing happened to my oe dmfw flywheel. It's on it's last legs, definitely don't reuse it.

It's common to convert to the smfw setup, you'd be best off going that route but double check you have all the correct parts before installing it. Nothing should be 'hybrid' though, you should be using a complete smfw setup with the proper disk and pp for the smfw.

What was the failure mode? Did it come apart? Or did it just stop making annoying noises?

Archived