LegacyGT.com

Help something bad happend!

I was driving home from work on the highway today and all of a sudden i hear pfffsss and a drop in rpm. I step on the gas and a gain ppfffsss, it sounded like it was comming from the driverside tire as if the air from my turbo blew out a seal or something. I pull over and look but see nothing. As I took off I hear a loud rattle comming from the turbo area and I have absolutely no turbo now. when I press down on the peddle the car seems to bog down not up. I made it home and read a few things about blown turbos but I have no smoke comming out of the exaust. can someone point me in the right direction as what this can be?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely you'll want to pull the down pipe and check the turbo for shaft play.

Do not start the engine again until you make sure the turbo has no shaft play.

Worst case you have already put metal into the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Also, check all your intake hoses. If the sound is coming from the driver side, it's most likely is the throttle body hose to intercooler. This happened to me last month when the hose clamp broke off. If all the hoses are secured, then check the turbo as Max said.

Pics of my clamp that broke off.

388195038_Clamp1.jpg.d7cabf4bd33854060ee477dab62fc903.jpg

317729655_Clamp2.jpg.744ad3457dd5e058312a9a8972013d4e.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

the clamp is still attached so Ill have to look at the turbo next. the car has been giving me a misfire code for about a month now also. I changed the plugs but not the coils. misfire in all 4 cylinders and also pulling codes p0021,p0011. so shaft play would be what a blown turbo? ill check all this tomorrow.

the clamp is still attached so Ill have to look at the turbo next. the car has been giving me a misfire code for about a month now also. I changed the plugs but not the coils. misfire in all 4 cylinders and also pulling codes p0021,p0011. so shaft play would be what a blown turbo? ill check all this tomorrow.

Misfire codes of all 4 cylinders usually indicates you have a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum hoses especially the blue "T" underneath the intercooler. Codes P0021 & P0011 indicates that your oil control values "OCV" are not getting oil and are stuck, which means the oil feed tube is clogged which will result in a blown turbo, pull out the banjo bolt below the turbo to see if it's clogged. You will have to inspect the turbo at this point

when I rev it sounds like something is loose in the down pipe turbo area, loud rattle but goes away when the car idles.

This could be the turbo or the DP heat shield is loose.

My wife's balls are delicious.

im going to assume that the turbo is blown but im gonna make sure first. what gage is a stock turbo for a 2006 subaru legacy? im going to upgrade it if its blown now would be the best time since it has to come off anyway.

so now I need a recommendation for upgrading the turbo looking for better boost. I currently have a cobb down pipe, factorup upgraded exaust and air intake. what would be a good model to look into

vf52 I have over 65,000 miles at 21psi on mine. Its a direct bolt on, you only have to cut the slot bigger for the arm on the waste gate. A vf52 comes in the WRX.

PM Underdog and have him send you one.

I got mine from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls,com in NJ.

Where are you located ?

I bolted the turbo on the up pipe, makes it much easier to line up the "new" oil return hose, inlet and up pipe at the same time. Also leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until you have the tmic located and tight on the TB hose and turbo outlet.

zip tie all vacuum hoses you can find.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Take another serious look at your throttle body hose. The clamps may still be on but could be loose, especially on the throttle body side. It happened to me before, where one end of the tb hose bulged. see this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pegged-negative-af-learning-all-ranges-no-knock-iam-1-225843.html

Can you pull an LV?

I took it to subaru they said the turbo completely blew out. there is metal in the oil so I have to drop the pan and clear out all of the deb-re and it needs a new turbo. if I have a stock vf40 do I have to tune a vf50 right away or can that wait. im trying to decide if I should just stick to stock for now until I have the money to tune it. subaru wants to charge the hellout of me almost 3k for the turbo and the time to fix it.

I took it to subaru they said the turbo completely blew out. there is metal in the oil so I have to drop the pan and clear out all of the deb-re and it needs a new turbo. if I have a stock vf40 do I have to tune a vf50 right away or can that wait. im trying to decide if I should just stick to stock for now until I have the money to tune it. subaru wants to charge the hellout of me almost 3k for the turbo and the time to fix it.

Read

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173358

before you make any more decisions.

it has absolutely no turbo or pickup at that now. I had no choice but to drive it the rest of the way home from work. about 20 miles from the time I noticed the problem.

This is exactly what I did. I literally almost shed tears thinking this is exactly what I did instead of just paying $65 for a tow truck. My next dumb idea was drop pan and try to run 3 more oil changes through to get whatever else was left of the "glitter" out not know it wasn't that simple a fix. Last thing was driving it after the knock thinking "F--- IT, I can always find a long block to throw in here and be fine. Ya know, I couldn't find a long block for less than $6000 with less than 200,000 miles and all had the notes "never tested if ran".

Click the link above and make a decision before you buy a single part.

When you look at the labor cost...and things that need to be done...you can see why it cost so much.

Can you replace the turbo yourself ?

I bolt mine on the up pipe.

We can walk you through the process.

JmP6889928 can rebuild you vf40 better then new if it's not to bad.

I really enjoy my vf52.

max what mods did you do when you installed the vf52. I really want to buy a vf52 so if you can tell me what other mods you had to buy to make the car run good with it would be awemsome. did you upgrade your injectors if so what cc and what kind of fuel pump should I be looking for.

max what mods did you do when you installed the vf52. I really want to buy a vf52 so if you can tell me what other mods you had to buy to make the car run good with it would be awemsome. did you upgrade your injectors if so what cc and what kind of fuel pump should I be looking for.

What is your crank or wheel HP goals?

this is my daily rider I drive about 80 miles a day to work. Im not looking to run 1/4 im more into beating the posers in a mustang, altimas ect at a red light. my main thing is since I have to get a new turbo I might as well get alittle more out of it. do I want a fast car yes but do I need to have the fastest no. I want something fun to drive that if I need to get on it it goes.

I did nothing but install it, trim the heat shield so the waste gate arm clears, then met my Tuner at the dyno. I'm still on stock fueling 65,000 miles later.

what do you guys think of this turbo? Is it worth the money?

Fresh rebuilt 7cm FP HTA68 by John Peirce, 0 miles, Upgraded oiling at center support bearing and journal bearing, upgraded thrust plates, and upgraded piston ring seals, light inlet and compressor housing polish, 6/6 billet wheel for quicker spool than FP 12 wheel $1050

Archived