LegacyGT.com

best time to tune?

wengermi

what is the best time of the year to tune a car? when its hot or cold for a conservative tune. im planning on getting my car tuned but i dont want to have to switch the maps back and forth every season. also im at 4000 ft elevation. is it better to tune it here or at sea level?

Not too sure on this but I am having my car in the warm garage shop just to do the simple stage 1 reflash. Tuner said it should be at least warm for several hours when reflashing. Should be the same as a tune I would think.

If the tune is done correctly, it should not matter at all. The ECU has the flexibility to adjust for weather changes.

With that said, it is proabably safer/better to tune in the winter because you are less less likely to overboost when it gets warm. Also because you are going to hit higher load and generally make more power in the cold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you be more likely to detonate when it's hot and the IC is heat soaked by tuning it when it's cold?

I had mine tuned when it was 90 outside and have never had a problem with detonation or overboost. My tune was also very conservative. (260 AWHP) Others with similar mods were making 280 or more. I told my tuner that I wanted a car that would last 100,000+ miles without any problems and that's what I got.

Not too sure on this but I am having my car in the warm garage shop just to do the simple stage 1 reflash. Tuner said it should be at least warm for several hours when reflashing. Should be the same as a tune I would think.

The ambient temperature will have no bearing on 'reflashing' your car. It is nicer to sit in a warm car rather than a freezing cold one, but that is just a comfort thing...no performance implications.

Ambient temps should be accounted for in the calibration. Ambient temps will allow certain components to work slightly more efficiently(ie. intercooler), but you should have a consistent vehicle regardless of season if tuned appropriately. If the heat exchangers(IC, Rad, oil cooler) are sized appropriately, you shouold be OK. There are other tuning related nuances(air temp/density/fuel type/etc) that can come into play, but for the most part, you should be god regardless of season.

J

^ the ecu adjust by pulling timing when the intake temp reaches a certain point and it add timing when it gets colder. All of these tables can (and should) be adjusted when tuning. So in reality it should not matter. The fact that you have not had an issue is more a testament to your tuner and less about the temperature on the day he tuned it.

I think it is more important to tune when you make the most power. That way, the tuner will be able know (and adjust the tune) at the limit and the highest load you will ever see.

With that said, it is proabably safer/better to tune in the winter because you are less less likely to overboost when it gets warm. Also because you are going to hit higher load and generally make more power in the cold.

^^ This.

I sometimes have tunes I do in summer come up with a little overboost in winter. In theory if all the compensation tables are set up correctly everything will work out. In practice there is no way you can hit the load cells in summer that can be hit in winter, so that's not the time I do R&D.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived