LegacyGT.com

Back to back comparison SH-AWD vs LGT 5mt AWD

My wife and I had to go through the recent heavy wet snow in Coastal NH in separate cars. We had a chance to switch off as kids wanted their mum to drive.

05 Legacy GT 5mt wagon with ContinentalExtreme Contact DWS

vs

07 Acura MDX with OEM Michelin Latitude and SH-AWD

Both my wife and I found the Acura MDX simply tracked straight without any corrections or swishing left/right due to heavy slush and puddles. The Legacy GT had the road feel for sure but was swimming a bit requiring constant corrections.

MDX had its typical relative lack of feeling. The SH-AWD graph torque indicator showed it very active moving power to left or right single rear wheel at extremes which is atypical. The MDX you felt very secure like driving on wet pavement that is it.

It will be interesting to see how the MDX does in deep snow vs the LGT with all-seasons.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an SUV vs Wagon. That's like saying a Sequoia can be compared to a Legacy. Personally I've climbed over a mountain of snow in a Sequoia. It's not only about the tires, but also about the weight and dimensions of the car.

Also remember the Subaru system for the 05 is fairly mechanical. You have the center diff sending power to the front and rear, and then the rear and front diffs reacting to conditions. So Subaru's system is more reaction based.

The Acura system is all electronic similar to the newer LGT systems. The second is senses slip it will do what it is programmed to do, good or bad. Also the Acura weighs in a tad more so it is going to plow through easier.

Personally I like the mechanical AWD system as it is more predictable and easier for me to drive. However the SH-AWD and VDC systems are getting to the point where their performance can easily out do a mechanical system. Although I would like to see a Spec B or STi compare.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

It's a good comparison, and nobody should be getting offended. From a non-biased point of view, they both have their strengths. The Legacy simply doesn't weigh enough to eliminate the vague tracking issues in the deep stuff. I noticed this too last winter, but it didn't stop the car from trudging through like a tractor. The MDX is going to stay as straight and true as possible, because it has computers that can do that for you.

Also remember the Subaru system for the 05 is fairly mechanical. You have the center diff sending power to the front and rear, and then the rear and front diffs reacting to conditions. So Subaru's system is more reaction based.

Except for the fact that the front diff in the Legacy is open so it doesn't react to anything.

Unless you've added an LSD in the front. ;):D

The Acura system is all electronic similar to the newer LGT systems. The second is senses slip it will do what it is programmed to do, good or bad. Also the Acura weighs in a tad more so it is going to plow through easier.

Personally I like the mechanical AWD system as it is more predictable and easier for me to drive. However the SH-AWD and VDC systems are getting to the point where their performance can easily out do a mechanical system. Although I would like to see a Spec B or STi compare.

-Jake

Yet Subaru advertising used to toot the Subaru's "active" rather than "reactive" AWD system.

The new VDC cars are still mechanical; they've got viscous center differentials (just like all Legacys) and they have LSD rear differentials (Torsen or viscous depending on model). I'd be interested to see how the VTD AWD system does -- that's the one paired to the 5EAT. When Subaru does their AWD vs. the competition videos, they usually use automatic models. Subaru must know the VTD AWD mated to the 5EAT is their superior system. It's capable of getting a LGT moving even if only one front wheel has traction and the others are on ice. Our MT vehicles wouldn't budge if that were the case.

Honestly, I'm happy with my Subaru in the snow. It's always gotten me through the rough stuff, except on a few occasions where it's left me stuck; but that was through nasty stuff. I do wish I bought an STI, though; I'd love to have three Torsen differentials and DCCD.

Advertising and real life are very different things lol. Technically buying an AWD car could be considered an active measure to combat bad weather.

You are right though. The new cars still have proper diffs but not quite the same as the older models. The computers have more control than the mechanics of the diff itself. The autos do have a more technology and are way more sophisticated than people think which is why they do use autos in their comparisons.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

Advertising and real life are very different things lol. Technically buying an AWD car could be considered an active measure to combat bad weather.

You are right though. The new cars still have proper diffs but not quite the same as the older models. The computers have more control than the mechanics of the diff itself. The autos do have a more technology and are way more sophisticated than people think which is why they do use autos in their comparisons.

-Jake

Just further proof that computers are outdoing humans! The LSDs being the humans; they're engineered by people, but can't "think" for themselves like fancy electronics can.

Do the "better" Subaru AWD systems shift torque completely to a right or left wheel?

I forgot about the mass part of MDX making it fair better.

The used 07 MDX was chosen as a family hauler(7 passenger) that seemed more interesting to drive than its counterparts. My wife and I still prefer the LGT by a long shot as a drivers car. The MDX is much more comfortable for obvious reasons and at least as far as I know seems very good in winter conditions.

I wish Acura took a Subaru on this same course during the engineers doing winter testing of their models I think all running all-seasons:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns]2010 Acura Winter Test Experience - YouTube[/ame]

This is an interesting comparison, though it is of two very different vehicles (in construction and price)! I just feel like the SH-AWD is using technology to compensate for a less than desirable AWD setup (transverse 6-cylinder with a front-bias AWD System), while the Subaru has a simpler but better naturally balanced arrangement (boxer engine hung low and back with a 50/50 split AWD system... unless you have DCCD). Even if the Acura handles a little better in the snow, I am still glad to be driving the Subie.

^you know that does nothing for open diffs in terms of transferring power to the other side. that trick only works for torsen/helical/mechanical LSDs.

VDC only stops you from over powering the wheels when you have low traction. its meant to avoid loss of control while moving, not to lock axles or distribute torque, because it cant do that. only on the STI with helical/torsen diffs front and rear can braking be used like that. you could do it on a 07-09 spec b if one of the rear wheels is in a low/no traction situation since it has torsen rear diff.

Considering the vdc can lock up a spinning wheel on an open diff, it can transfer power to one wheel.

VDC is poor approximation of a true limited slip or torsen differential. Basically, it attempts to use the ABS system to grab the free spinning wheel.

SH-AWD is one of the better AWD systems out there, and in some ways probably superior to Subaru's AWD system.

SH-AWD will do better when there's a large left/right traction difference. The drawback to electronic AWD systems is that they can get confused in very low traction situations, resulting in sub-par performance. In these situations, mechanical differentials can sometimes just power through, while electronics don't like spinning four wheels.

Archived