LegacyGT.com

Launch Control and Flat Foot Shift now Available for Subaru AccessPORTs

COBB Tuning

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/LC-FFS-blog1.jpg

COBB Tuning is pleased to announce the availability of Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift* for all Subaru turbocharged manual transmission equipped vehicles. Launch Control limits engine RPM to a user-set value when launching to build boost and increase launch consistency. Flat-Foot Shift allows the user to maintain wide-open-throttle during gear changes, keeping partial boost between shifts and improving acceleration post-shift. This release of Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift addresses isolated issues with the prior version and expands support to additional vehicles.** Please note that using Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift (LC/FFS) can be abusive to the engine, clutch, transmission, axles and differentials. If you are willing to accept these risks, read on!

This release of Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift now supports the following applications:

Currently Supported Vehicles

Launch control (LC) and Flat-Foot Shift (FFS):

– 2004-2008 Forester XT (MT only)

– 2005-2010 Legacy GT (MT only)

– 2007-2009 Legacy GT spec. B

– 2006-2011 WRX (MT only)

– 2004-2011 STI

Launch control (LC) only:

– 2002-2005 WRX (MT only)

Easy Implementation and Installation

To enable Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift on your Subaru, download AccessPORT Manager version 2.0.1.5 or greater to update the AccessPORT firmware to version 1.6.4.0-1645 or greater. Stage1 and Stage2 v3.00 Launch Control enabled maps are included in the firmware. In addition, all of the maps in our Subaru AccessPORT Map Database have been updated to v3.00 and are available for download. Simply select the v3.00 map that suits your power modifications, Reflash the v3.00 map as your ECU base map (not Realtime map), start the engine and configure the Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift RPM settings to your preferences using the AccessPORT by navigating to Tune > Adjustments > Launch Control or Tune > Adjustments > Flat-Foot Shift.

ProTuned Map Conversion

Customers using ProTuned maps have two options for converting their map to enable Launch Control. These maps can be converted to a Launch Control enabled map using our online map conversion utility or your Pro Tuner may be willing to update the map for you. To use the online map conversion utility, click the link, click on the “Choose File” button, select the map on your computer to be converted and click the “Submit” button. Depending on the settings of your web browser, the new LC/FFS enabled map file will either be automatically downloaded or you will be prompted to initiate the download (and choose a download directory). Using AccessPORT Manager, load the new LC/FFS enabled map to your AccessPORT and you are ready to flash this map to your ECU. Note: This utility does not unlock ProTuner maps for use in AccessTUNER Race.

Custom Map Conversion

Customers using AccessTUNER Race maps also have two options for converting custom maps to enable Launch Control. Launch Control can be enabled map using our online map conversion utility or the map can be opened and saved using Subaru AccessTUNER Race version 1.9.1.0-1695 or greater. To get the latest version of AccessTUNER Race, open the software, click on Help > Updates > Check for updates. If your version of AccessTUNER Race does not have the auto-update feature, submit a new AccessTUNER Race Request Form in order to download the latest version of the software.

For further information and detailed instructions on enabling Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting on your Subaru, please download our Launch Control and Flat-Foot Shift FAQ, call the COBB Tuning tech support line at 1-866-922-3059 or email us at tech@cobbtuning.com.

*Flat Foot Shifting is not available on 2002-2005 Subaru WRX 2.0L vehicles due to vehicle hardware limitations.

** This version of Launch Control and Flat Foot Shift is not compatible with the previous version, which is no longer supported. Note that the cruise control feature for setting RPM has been removed from this versionfor consistency across all platforms.

sweet! finally for the 07s!

i JUST sent a request for accesstuner race hopefully i get it soon :)

Do note that you do not need AccessTUNER Race to add this feature to your car even if you have a protune! Use our online map conversion utility to add this to ANY map, protuned or not!

Travis

COBB Tuning

Does this launch control work like a two step? Or does it have the slow rev sound to it?

Our launch control uses the factory rev limiter which is fuel cut based. The effect will be a very quick oscillation in RPM around the LC threshold (assuming the default AP hysteresis of 1 RPM).

Bill

I don't suppose you folks would know how to adjust the sensitivity of the clutch switch sensor would you? I assume it's a binary (yes/no) signal that you don't have any control over? There is a fair bit of useless travel in my clutch where it is fully physically engaged but the sensor says it's open. As you can imagine, this causes undesirable behavior when the ECU has been programmed to cut fuel when it thinks the clutch is disengaged (even though it isn't) and the accelerator is on...

I'll see if I can dig something up for adjustment on my own, but I figured I'd put it to you and see if you were familiar with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't suppose you folks would know how to adjust the sensitivity of the clutch switch sensor would you? I assume it's a binary (yes/no) signal that you don't have any control over? There is a fair bit of useless travel in my clutch where it is fully physically engaged but the sensor says it's open. As you can imagine, this causes undesirable behavior when the ECU has been programmed to cut fuel when it thinks the clutch is disengaged (even though it isn't) and the accelerator is on...

I'll see if I can dig something up for adjustment on my own, but I figured I'd put it to you and see if you were familiar with it.

Sorry for the late response. Yes, the clutch switch is an on/off signal only. I'm not aware of any ability to adjust the clutch switch, but you may want to take a peek under the dash on your car just to make sure.

Bill

I had my head inside that part of the dashboard / footwell last month. If I remember right, the clutch and brake switches in my 05 are both mounted in a way that allows some adjustment of when they trigger.

Has anyone with an 08 or 09 LGT/OBXT (with manual tranny) had a chance to try out our launch control?

Thanks,

Bill

2008 spec b, w/ stage2 93 map, tried it but set the LC rpm to 3500 and it sucked...

What are recommended settings for a good balance between a good launch but not ridiculously stressful to drive train ?

Is the correct method of using LC to dump the clutch when the lLC rev limit "bounce" is at the highest rpm then continue to shift as normal?

^^ When I had mine (tinywrx patch, not Cobb), I had it set somewhere around 5krpms. But it is going to depend on your particular setup, your tolerance for broken parts, and what kind of mrp your turbo is oscillating with as you stage. It is a fine balance getting the launch just right so that you get rear tire spin and then weight/power transfer and get some (not much) front wheel spin also. As you play with your LC settings, play with your tire pressures also. I've usually run 42r/38f for reference.

As for when to launch, I'd try to catch the rpms on an 'up' oscillation if you can but log your LC (without even actually launching) to see what mrp you are getting.

Personally I wouldn't bother practicing with LC unless you are accurately assessing your results. I logged some on the streets and then every one of my dragstrip launches so I could see the log and the 60' time.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 4 weeks later...
This may not be possible, but does this work for the 5EAT in any way? Obviously the shift option is not needed, but the launch control would be nice.

The point of LC is to build boost for the launch. You do that on an automatic by doing power braking.

The point of LC is to build boost for the launch. You do that on an automatic by doing power braking.

I understand that power braking will achieve similar results, but anyone who has driven a car with a controllable rev limiter knows that it is far more consistent in racing applications to have a device like this...

If you are at a drag strip in a 5EAT for example, and go through prestage - stage, you have about as much time as the guy next to you to build boost and hope that you are consistent from run to run. By having a device like this work on 5EATS it would allow that same driver to be fully staged and simply hold the brake and floor the accelerator. The RPM's would never change from run to run and you could focus more on the tree and RT's than looking at a boost gauge.

Anyone know if this works on a 5EAT?

I don't understand how this could even work on a 5EAT. The torque converter has a stall speed. When you hit that stall speed, you will not rev any higher, not without physically replacing the torque converter... or putting your car into neutral and performing a neutral drop which in our cars would destroy your transmission. The revs that people plan on using here for LC are going to be far above the stock torque converter's stall speed. Yes, it's adjustable, but a stock torque converter's stall speed is usually pretty low... under or around 2000.

Someone else chime in here please. Maybe I'm completely mistaken here.

Your second post is more in line with my initial question. I know the torque converter would have an impact, I just don't know if it could be used in conjunction. Again the purpose of the launch control is all about consistency. Even if I set the launch for 2800 rpms (below the TC threshold) it would help with consistency. I would never do a neutral drop in any car so that is out of the question.

Good discussion so far...Hoping COBB will return to the thread they created and comment?

Power braking at what RPM? And how do you maintain that RPM while you're doing it?

I have to admit that I know very little about automatics but that sounds like a pretty legitimate use of LC. You could dial the in the RPM you want, and then just floor it and trust LC to give you the right RPM every time.

(1) Power braking at what RPM? (2) And how do you maintain that RPM while you're doing it?

Good questions...

I have not played with the limits of the torque converter so I do not know its threshold. From what I have gathered from the 5EAT threads and the motorsports forums constantly power braking burns up a lot of components, most of all the clutch packs. I will never be as aggressive as some....

(1) My goal would be to at least have the engine enter boost around 2800 and then have the AP hold it. That way on brake release it could just build from there...

(2) Power braking works the same as you 5MT/6MT guys. Except in our instance there is a fluid medium that engine power must go through before we get power to the wheels. *I know you knew the above NSFW, but for some new to automatics it could be helpful* So in racing you just stand on the brake (as opposed to the clutch) bring the revs to the desired range, hold (ideally not too long), then dump/release the brake and floor the accelerator. Shifting in most cases is also from practice in knowing what RPM to shift at with the paddles to get close to the rev limiter without actually hitting it.

Hi Mr. Cobb. Could you please say whether or not this works for 5EATS? I feel like I am gumming up a thread that could be filling with videos of Legacy's launching with perfection :wub:

Also, does anyone know snowboarder419 from YouTube? He has a SpecB with the AP Launch and Flat Floor update but no videos as of yet of it in use

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Archived