LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy News and Rumors

dgoodhue

I might as start a thread about the 2017 since a 2017 performance model is being discussed in the other thread.

Camry is leaving in the summer of 2016 and combined with Subaru Indiana Plant expansion will bring additional 200,000 of annual production capacity. This additional production capacity will be coming online during the 2017 model year. This should relieved some of manufacturing constraint Subaru currently has. The new 3 row model is slated for production in 2018 model year. The next gen Impreza also moving to SIA i would guess as a 2018 model as well.

These are the potential changes I could see to the 6th Gen. IMO Subaru traditionally has been slow to make changes, so I wouldn't expect a lot of changes though.

-A new H6 motor. Subaru has said in press releases that the new 3 row model will be around a new H6 motor. Subaru has in the past release an engine in one model before making changes across the board. Could they release a new H6 in 2017 before the 3 row model? Subaru could also only release the new H6 motor in 3 row crossover and delay the introduction to the Legacy/outback for 1-2 or years.

-Adding Direction Injection to the 2.5i, Subaru has said in the 5 year press release plan that all engines will be DI by 2020. The FB25 was designed for Direction Injection.

-Adding Sport model. Like the 2013 & 2014, with bigger rims, interior accents. Maybe this time with suspension changes

-Bring back the GT model with the FA20DIT from the WRX. The Outback in China already has this motor with the HTCVT. The only news from this from the car and driver blog when the 2015 was released. http://blog.caranddriver.com/freshly-unveiled-2015-subaru-legacy-new-turbo-sport-model-downsized-six-cylinder-in-the-works/ It mentions about the H6 and Sport models I mentioned above.

-bring back the 6MT for the 2.5i, they already make a 6MT for Canada. This does seem unlikely since most US manufacturers are removing MT from their line up not adding them.

-Hybrid model has been mentioned in the automotive news, but it seems less likely this year given the low price of crude oil.

Subaru could also do nothing and sales would likely increase with the additional production capacity.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might as start a thread about the 2017 since a 2017 performance model is being discussed in the other thread.

Camry is leaving in the summer of 2016 and combined with Subaru Indiana Plant expansion will bring additional 200,000 of annual production capacity. This additional production capacity will be coming online during the 2017 model year. This should relieved some of manufacturing constraint Subaru currently has. The new 3 row model is slated for production in 2018 model year. The next gen Impreza also moving to SIA i would guess as a 2018 model as well.

These are the potential changes I could see to the 6th Gen. IMO Subaru traditionally has been slow to make changes, so I wouldn't expect a lot of changes though.

-A new H6 motor. Subaru has said in press releases that the new 3 row model will be around a new H6 motor. Subaru has in the past release an engine in one model before making changes across the board. Could they release a new H6 in 2017 before the 3 row model? Subaru could also only release the new H6 motor in 3 row crossover and delay the introduction to the Legacy/outback for 1-2 or years.

-Adding Direction Injection to the 2.5i, Subaru has said in the 5 year press release plan that all engines will be DI by 2020. The FB25 was designed for Direction Injection.

-Adding Sport model. Like the 2013 & 2014, with bigger rims, interior accents. Maybe this time with suspension changes

-Bring back the GT model with the FA20DIT from the WRX. The Outback in China already has this motor with the HTCVT. The only news from this from the car and driver blog when the 2015 was released. http://blog.caranddriver.com/freshly-unveiled-2015-subaru-legacy-new-turbo-sport-model-downsized-six-cylinder-in-the-works/ It mentions about the H6 and Sport models I mentioned above.

-bring back the 6MT for the 2.5i, they already make a 6MT for Canada. This does seem unlikely since most US manufacturers are removing MT from their line up not adding them.

-Hybrid model has been mentioned in the automotive news, but it seems less likely this year given the low price of crude oil.

Subaru could also do nothing and sales would likely increase with the additional production capacity.

2017 will be more of the same with some tech enhancements as per the usual refresh schedule.

Subaru didn't say anything about a new H6. Those were uncomfirmed rumors. I doubt they are putting resources into a 6 cylinder.

I don't see a new motor in the Legacy in any capacity until 2018 which would be the usual refresh year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would bet that they *are* developing a new H6. I think the rumor said it would be a direct-injected 3.3, but no matter what it'll be, it's sure to be direct-injected. It would be sweet if they put it in the Legacy too.

I'd be happy with a 3.0 DIT. A 3.3 DIT would be even better. (although a turbo is less likely on the H6, it would be a sweet motor). I also hope they put a 2.0 or 2.5 DIT in the Legacy.

I doubt it unless they plan on a 2.7l or 3.0l turbo. With emissions and fuel economy standards, small companies like Subaru will be putting all of their resources in small displacement turbos and not larger displacement naturally aspirated engines. We will see the 2.0t in the Legacy LONG before a new 6 shows up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But they need a 6 for the next-gen Tribeca. I'm sure they won't make it exclusive, it'll go to Legacy and Outback too. If they put the 2.0T in the Legacy before a new 6 shows up, they better get on it, stat!, cuz the 'beca is a comin' in 2017.

Subaru didn't say anything about a new H6. Those were uncomfirmed rumors. I doubt they are putting resources into a 6 cylinder.

I looked around a little, I didn't see any press release mentioning a new 6 cylinder.

I had a discussion with a SIA employee. He didn't give me any new model information. He did say from what he was hearing the 2.5i 6MT model was dead in the US. SIA new capacity was going to go towards new 3 row Crossover, Impreza, and making more Outbacks.

I sure hope the new 7 seat crossover they are talking about is NOT an Exiga. Exiga didn't have room for US sized adults.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I would have been okay with the Exiga, if it was a bit bigger. My Tribeca is the first SUV I've owned, and it's been a good one, but I hadn't liked any other SUV that I drove prior, and didn't see myself owning one, until additional kids necessitated something bigger than my Legacy.

If the Exiga were here in the US in '08 when I bought my Tribeca, I definitely would have considered it. Now that I've tasted the "Utility" in SUV with the Tribeca, I don't think I'd want to go down to something like the Exiga.

The new 3 row, according to a salesman, will be completely unique in its platform and engine. Apparently subaru recognizes all the short comings in the tribeca and is trying to do this next 3 row suv correctly. I would be surprised if it used anything turbo charged just because there is nothing very exciting in the larger classes of subarus. The transmission particularly will be interesting to see if the stick with their htcvt or try something like an 8spd auto, which to me would be a better choice for a family hauler especially if they are trying to compete with a minivan/large suv.

It would be smart if they brought back the 6MT for the USDM market. However I think the only reason they made it a CVT only was because of some fuel efficiency law in the United States, which would explain why Canada has both the CVT as well as the standard transmission. I will definitely get a new legacy if they decide to release a turbo model with a manual transmission.

The new 3 row, according to a salesman, will be completely unique in its platform and engine. Apparently subaru recognizes all the short comings in the tribeca and is trying to do this next 3 row suv correctly. I would be surprised if it used anything turbo charged just because there is nothing very exciting in the larger classes of subarus. The transmission particularly will be interesting to see if the stick with their htcvt or try something like an 8spd auto, which to me would be a better choice for a family hauler especially if they are trying to compete with a minivan/large suv.

I'm betting they'll stick with the CVT, since they've dropped all their geared autos, and seem very committed to CVT technology (and do very well with it).

Maybe it'll be a higher-torque version of the HTCVT. Hopefully it'll tow more than 3500 lbs this time. If not, I'll be saving for a Model X, with 5000 lb towing capacity.

It would be smart if they brought back the 6MT for the USDM market. However I think the only reason they made it a CVT only was because of some fuel efficiency law in the United States, which would explain why Canada has both the CVT as well as the standard transmission. I will definitely get a new legacy if they decide to release a turbo model with a manual transmission.

Define smart. From a profit standpoint, that's pretty debatable.

I'm betting they'll stick with the CVT, since they've dropped all their geared autos, and seem very committed to CVT technology (and do very well with it).

Maybe it'll be a higher-torque version of the HTCVT. Hopefully it'll tow more than 3500 lbs this time. If not, I'll be saving for a Model X, with 5000 lb towing capacity.

One of the main reasons the Tribeca did bad here was because it had bad fuel economy.

Considering the hard push from governments on improved fuel economy these days the engine may probably be a H4 with turbo. Even a turbo compound might be possible to allow for a large vehicle. Since the Levorg GT has a 1.6 liter engine I'd suspect a 2.0 or 2.2 liter engine combined with the HTCVT for a larger vehicle. Or even a hybrid solution in which case the 1.6 liter engine may be "sufficient".

453747.png

One of the main reasons the Tribeca did bad here was because it had bad fuel economy.

Considering the hard push from governments on improved fuel economy these days the engine may probably be a H4 with turbo. Even a turbo compound might be possible to allow for a large vehicle. Since the Levorg GT has a 1.6 liter engine I'd suspect a 2.0 or 2.2 liter engine combined with the HTCVT for a larger vehicle. Or even a hybrid solution in which case the 1.6 liter engine may be "sufficient".

I don't think the fuel economy is what killed it, it was really the interior size it is a cramped 5 seater nevermind the third row. My legacy has more interior room than my wifes 07 Tribeca. It is kind of a bad mix of qualities. I believe the new model will get a bigger engine, I am hoping a traditional geared transmission for longevity and durability. But we will see.

Define smart. From a profit standpoint, that's pretty debatable.

Well I know that a fraction of legacy's sold were manual so killing it off is just following the trend of many manufactures. However I know that there are people like me who would not buy a new Legacy if it was only available in an automatic. From a profit standpoint it wouldn't make sense but to keep customers happy it would.

Ever since I taught my wife to drive stick over 15 years ago, that's all she wanted.

That said, I've warned her that her next car might not be. Look at all the safety packages- Eyesight, Honda Sensing etc.. that are becoming standard. They don't work on sticks.

Pretty soon it will be impossible to find a decent vehicle with a stick.

Archived