LegacyGT.com

GPS navigation around DFW

forestir

Anyone here using GPS navigation systems, whether it's built-in, or add-on (e.g. Garmin, PDA-based, etc.)?

Going to/from the Subaru Challenge at Texas Motor Speedway, I was relying on a GPS navigation system (iGuidance v3). Going across 635 towards Fort Worth, my nav system showed me off of 635 and eventually gave up and said I couldn't be routed from where it thought I was. This was around Royal Lane.

I set the destination again when it finally showed me on 635 again and the rest of the way was perfect (handy because I'd never been through those sections of 114).

Then, to the DFW get-together afterwards, 121 was also off--way too much new road construction, I guess. My nav software has pretty recent Navtech maps, so I'm just interested to see others' experience in DFW area.

I've got a Garmin iQue 3600 and StreetPilot C330, which use Navteq maps. Navteq doesn't re-map an area very often - usually on an 18-24 month cycle. Often the maps will be slightly inaccurate around new construction. For example, there is one area on my commute where the unit can't determine if I am on a feeder road or the freeway due to a freeway expansion last year which isn't yet updated in the maps.

I've never had a Garmin unit get lost and not be able to find an alternate route to a destination which was previously programmed. Their routing tends to be the best of the units I've used. I've read that they patented a number of their routing algorithms to lock out the competitors and keep a technical advantage.

I use Garmin's solution for my Sprint phone. As long as I'm in a Spring digital, or better yet a EVDO network, it works wonderfully. It does get a lot of the road construction re-routes and can even route around traffic in certain cities (DFW not being one of them).

This sounds interesting. So, the solution is "live" over Sprint's wireless data network and you don't need to have the Garmin software or maps on your device? Or did you still need to buy the software and are just getting traffic updates?

I think the biggest problem is keeping up-to-date with construction. Ultimately, I get where I'm going with my iGuidance software, but with lots of road construction in DFW (and nearly everywhere else, it seems), it's tough for any maps to be up-to-date.

In addition to requiring a Sprint "PowerVision" phone that can access the EVDO network you also need to pay for the service of the same name in order to gain that access. It cost $15 a month but includes unlimited internet access (which I can also use my phone as a modem, a rather speedy one when in EVDO). Then you need to pay $10 monthly for the Garmin license (or subscription) to use the application itself. I expense this to work since I mostly use it to find our way around when we're travelling.

It fetches a certain amount of map data from the area you're in when it loads your directions but otherwise doesn't have all the maps preloaded. You can either use a moving map display or the mileage countdown with directions (rally codriver style). It will talk to you in either mode so you don't really need to even look at it, handy if you have a small screen. It gets the traffic, and ultimately the construction data, from DOT sites that support its protocol. I know DC and Minneapolis both worked, I think Seattle did as well.

Problem is that since it requires that connection in order to function it can lag and you can miss a turn if you aren't paying attention. I generally use the codriver mode just because it stores the entire list of directions and you can just flip through them as you get to a turn. I think some of the other GPS solutions are better, but cost a bit more up front.

Have you considered getting Subaru's OEM GPS solution? I haven't seen it in action yet.

Thanks for the info, RallyNavvie. Good feedback on the Sprint system. Interesting--I'll look into it.

I was hoping for some feedback on Subaru's solution. From what I'd read from past misc posts, it's not that great and also suffers from out-of-date maps--not sure what updates cost.

Archived