LegacyGT.com

Valve cover removal

What I know: I need to remove my passenger side valve cover due to it dripping oil onto the uppipe and creating a nasty burning smell.

Don't know: If the leak is due to a cracked valve cover or just a bad gasket.

Need to know: What are some tips for those that have removed their valve cover and is there any gaskets or seals that will need to be replaced in removal of valve cover and other items during this process?

Thanks

I don't think there's a walkthrough for the valve cover gaskets, but this thread has some good tips:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179627

It's not too tough. On my OB I did the passenger side, in place, without running into any complications. On the 2.5i, both sides were leaking, and the timing belt needed done so we just pulled the engine.

Good luck.

I took a stab at the RH one with the engine in the car - the gasket ended up folding up inside the cover upon reinstallation, and as you can imagine, made a hell of a mess all over the floor.

Since my clutch was making a little bit of noise anyway and I feared having to install a TSK3, I just yanked the engine out and did both rocker cover gaskets at the same time. Hell of a lot easier with the engine out of the car. (Though I've been told you can raise the engine up a few inches to give the space you need to do the covers.)

But since it took me the same amount of time to do the passenger side cover gasket with the engine in the car as the process of pulling the engine and reinstalling it, I'm not sure which route I'd take if I had to do it again. Would depend on how much space I had, I suppose.

Archived