LegacyGT.com

Seat Stitch busted

petes99

My driver's seat has started breaking up on me.. attaching a pic.

I'm not heavy, nor a big person - not sure what the problem is - but the stitches are giving out slowly. How does this get repaired?

http://yettas.smugmug.com/photos/i-CWqSnmc/0/L/i-CWqSnmc-L.jpg

http://yettas.smugmug.com/photos/i-G8Tgx4V/0/L/i-G8Tgx4V-L.jpg

you could fix it yourself if not too lazy,

all you need is a bit of thread in similar color and thickness

pull a bit of existing thread out on either side of the split so you can tie a new thread into and then just go thru existing stitch holes in the vinyl once you have new thread all the way thru start to tighten the seam and then just tie new thread to existing here are couple if pics of my repair.

before

2012-04-29%252013.42.41.jpg

during

2012-04-29%252014.01.04.jpg

2012-04-29%252014.01.20.jpg

2012-04-29%252014.23.01.jpg

and final knot

2012-04-29%252014.32.04.jpg

i hope this helps

Petes99 - I just discovered a few weeks ago that my seat has the same tear as yours. I haven't decided if I want to do this myself or have a professional do it. I might try what Dodik did.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I was looking into leather repair kits, where you glue the leather down onto a piece of fabric, but not sure if that would hold up to my body weight. Let me know if you find a strong enough thread that's not too thick.

I have the exact same tear on the drivers seat of my car too. Just noticed it the other day. I'll probably bring mine to the car seat repair shop in the next town over in a week or so. I put a black piece of tape over it to prevent it from getting any larger.

• 1 month later...
I got some heavy duty thread and a curved upholstery needle - threw a few stitches in and it is holding together.. but I need some thicker thread like Dodik used. Way harder to sew this than I expected, too - might end up going to a pro to clean it up.. eventually.

I plan on sowing a few stiches into mine this weekend, the tear is getting worse. Just like you, it's only a patch job for now until I can buy another leather seat cover from the dealer. The covers run around $250 and the padding is about $80, so I may end up doing this myself.

Wow, I have the exact same rip, in the exact same place. I bought the car with it and it hasn't gotten worse in two years.

I will say this looks like it would need to be sown from the bottom rather than the top as the Dodik's was. Or do you just flip it upward and push it back down when finished?

Archived