LegacyGT.com

Tein vs. ISC - Who has experieince with coilovers?

Who has used both? Or specific pros/cons on either brand experience would be helpful too.

Trying to decide ISC N1's or Tein Flex. And cost is kinda a deciding factor here, and I have heard that if you are going to do Tein then to do the Flex's and and not the Basic's...

So I can get the ISC N1's for $859 shipped, but the Tein Flex's will be about $1400 shipped...

Who has opinions?

FWIW - I will be also running these coilovers through this coming salty Utah winter.

I had the Flex on my G35 and have the ISCs on my Legacy so take this how you will comparing a coupe vs a sedan. I've also ridden in a G35 that had the Basic's which is why I chose the Flex's.

I thought the Flex's felt a bit nicer and not as stiff as the ISCs. It's not a night and day difference like the Basic's were but there's definitely a difference. Quality was good on both. I had the EDFC with my Flex's which was nice since I could change the dampening on the fly.

I didn't put anti-seize on my ISCs before my first winter so they did seize up on me but getting replacement parts was no big deal. I definitely have anti-seize all over the coilover body and collars and didn't have any trouble last winter with the salty MD roads so I recommend you do the same.

Reason I went with the ISCs with my legacy because I knew if I got the Flex's I would also want/need to get the EDFC and I just didn't want to spend that much on coilovers at the moment. I definitely have no complaints about the ISCs especially considering their price point.

ISC is pure garbage. tein is mostly garbage till you get to the higher end stuff that they dont make for the legacy. you can get by on Flex's but they are a rough ride since the dampening is crap.

I did autoxed for 4 years on tien flex and they did ok, but once i went to ASTs i realized how bad they really were.

Save you money and get RCE tarmac 1's

this is whats crap - http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

How are ISCs garbage?? I got street comfort ISCs on my LGT for a 2" drop. Felt really stiff after I installed them (pushing down on the trunk, you could feel it). The ride actually isn't that bad at all, they feel pretty forgiving over bumps. Overall I'm very happy with mine, I can't see what's not to like about them.

OP, which ever coilovers you do get, be sure to anti-seize them or you'll be sorry. I'd also highly recommend hockey taping the threads to cover them all up nice and tight. You don't want any salt and sand from the roads getting in there and making a mess of the threaded part.

From my experience, you get exactly what you pay for with coilovers (except with Tein's which I find overpriced regardless).

On my previous cars I had cheap ebay coils, mid-range coils, and then lastly I went to KW V2's. KW's blew everything else out of the water, well worth the extra coin. Or you can go with RCE's as whitetiger mentioned which are basically the same thing.

^so they arent crap because you have them and tolerate them? :lol: car forum logic at its finest.

I'm saying I disagree in thinking that they're garbage because I've actually been satisfied with the ride quality. I have the dampening adjusted on the soft side and the ride is surprisingly not as harsh as you might expect. I know how coilovers are supposed to feel. If they were sh*ty coilovers, I would say they ride like sh*t and don't buy them.

For what you are doing with the car (seems like a DD with some occasional winter weather) why even bother spending all that money when you can get a good spring and strut combo and get similar results for a fraction of the cost of even a shitty set of coilovers... and you will have a less harsh ride more than likely.... option to consider

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I have the ISC street comfort coils. Love them! Not to stiff and for a daily commuter and works great. Could be a little stiffer spring in the back but I do have a sub and other crap in there.

Why not get something that rides decent and lets you put your car at the height you want?

I suppose all that really matters is if they work for your needs. That and application of said coilovers. If he's just looking for steez and street cred then ya either will slam your car beyond function and all the girls will flash there Tatas at you but if you want something that has actual R&D behind them and not just marketing best to start with kW or rce and if ur feeling like dropping some coin ast or ohlins will help drain your budget

I guess I should have mentioned that I also AutoX several times per summer, or club track meets. Maybe a test n tune drag night once a summer too. Running a 16G @23psi making 320whp.

But overall - yes it is a DD that I put 15-20k miles on per year. I drive it all winter to and from the ski resorts, and also put quite a bit of highway mileage on it, maybe 85% or more is highway mileage.

But like I said at this juncture cost is a factor, and the fact that I am putting them just in time for winter I would almost rather not slap on some $3k Ohlins. And whenever I do save up my coin and buy some real coilovers - I will likely import some Ohlins.

Also I fully understand the 'kindergarten coilovers VS. big boy coilovers' reputation that certain brands do earn. I am also in the Mustang community [gasp american muscle], and I started out with some crappy Qa1 coilovers for my foxbody then learned what the true meaning of Big Boy Coilovers after switching to Bilsteins!

BTW - wtf doesn't Bilstein make us some coilovers?!? Their coils are pretty much the best for any other platform out there, and usually pretty modestly priced, not to mention lifetime warranty!

Seriously couldn't we like "petition" them to make them or something? They would have some serious business in just the WRX/STi community alone!

Trust me man you will be happy with the isc street comfort coils. Im on like 7 clicks in the back and 10 up front. I am about 2 finger gap in the front of the car and 1.5 in the back. (winter is almost here) There are some like 32 clicks I can stiffen it up to. Right now if I had to explain the ride, its slightly under a stock brz for handling and I don't have sways. 225-45-17 for tires. I didn't auto cross this year but I know from having a 07 wrx with the isc street coils (ohh god my kidneys) and sways I could have done just as good or better and not taken beating on any bumps.

Stiff enough to feel the cracks/breaks in the road but forgiving enough on the bumps people wont know they are coils.

I'm saying I disagree in thinking that they're garbage because I've actually been satisfied with the ride quality. I have the dampening adjusted on the soft side and the ride is surprisingly not as harsh as you might expect. I know how coilovers are supposed to feel. If they were sh*ty coilovers, I would say they ride like sh*t and don't buy them.

if you actually had experience with good coilovers, you see that your car rides like crap now. you are just used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
^all the readily available electronic adjusters are for shocks that are rebound adjustable only and in general, crappy shocks with inconsistent and uneven adjusters. It not worth it. If you care about ride quality, invest in quality dampers. you wont have to play around with the adjusters on those and they will just work. When dapening forces are right, they are right and ther is no need to play with adjustments after that.

Archived