LegacyGT.com

What would you pay for 07 Spec B that needs clutch, turbo, and paint?

At most $4k, if even that much. The spec.B, especially if the interior is trashed, really isn't worth much more than a regular LGT, and honestly an LGT in that sort of condition is probably only worth $1.5-2k at most (assuming it's not driving).

This is coming from someone who spent $11k on an '07 spec.B about 2.5 years ago :lol:

I was going to comment about DIY. That will make a huge difference in cost.

Be realistic, this is a used car in "fair" condition and it's being sold because the owner doesn't want to deal with the maintenance and repair costs. I'd almost expect the suspension and turbo to be tired and ready for replacement at 160K. Clutch would be pretty well worn as well.

I'd estimate parts cost along this line

New Bilstein HDs     $600
New Clutch, etc.      $400
Used take-off turbo  $500

Total                     $1500

The interior and exterior repair cost

Reupholster center section of leather seats  at local shop $600
Paint repairs   (no idea what it needs)                              $???

What about other maintenance like timing belt service, seals, belts, hoses, boots, fluid replacement? I'd add that up.

Now, subtract all that from the fair price for a car in great condition. That figure would be the most you should pay.

Well the turbo sounds about like a supercharger when it spools. And i'm positive its not a boost leak. Its sitting at my shop right now and I havent had the chance to pull the inlet or downpipe to have a look. I hope its not going to need a motor if we do strike a deal. And even if, is 3k out of the question?

Clean, one-owner, up to date on maintenance 07 spec B sold for $3600 USD with minty interior and 100k miles on the clock in Vancouver recently. Had a CEL indicating misfire(s), non-technical owner was advised by dealer (same that serviced it for most of its life) it may have needed a valve grind. That's still upwards of a $1000 job even if you DIY it. It sold within a day. I felt like it was a great price and would have bought it in a heartbeat if it were local.

A trashed one that needs all you mentioned and possibly more? $2-3k tops. . . mostly for the 6MT but even then you're buying one with 160k. . . and repairs/rebuilds to it are not cheap.

Paint isn't cheap if it's any good. Plan on about $400/panel for decent work. Bilsteins are more like a grand to replace.

...Bilsteins are more like a grand to replace.

I priced the Bilstein HDs at Tire Rack not long ago:

Rear shock = Bilstein Part #: 24-118323 $99

Front strut left = Bilstein Part 35-118305 $208

Front struct right = Bilstein Part #: 35-118312 $210

Total = $616

If you needed new strut mounts, or had to pay someone to install them, of course that would add to the cost.

Well the turbo sounds about like a supercharger when it spools. And i'm positive its not a boost leak. Its sitting at my shop right now and I havent had the chance to pull the inlet or downpipe to have a look. I hope its not going to need a motor if we do strike a deal. And even if, is 3k out of the question?

For the same money I could put you into my 2005 that doesn't need anything 'cept an interior detailing.

A new adventure begins! 160K is not all that much, based on the experience of people here you could take it to 250K or 300K, but you are getting into heavy maintenance territory. For some reason, I'm reminded of those kind folks that give a neglected or abused animal a good home

• 2 weeks later...
I priced the Bilstein HDs at Tire Rack not long ago:

Rear shock = Bilstein Part #: 24-118323 $99

Front strut left = Bilstein Part 35-118305 $208

Front struct right = Bilstein Part #: 35-118312 $210

Total = $616

If you needed new strut mounts, or had to pay someone to install them, of course that would add to the cost.

Tophats and alignment will put you pretty close to $1k

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived