LegacyGT.com

For those interested in a GT-Spec B...

Honestly, I really don't understand why we get the ugliest front bumper out of all the Legacy models in the world. I swear, and I know this is just one man's lowly opinion, that I would trade my front bumper for almost any other one I've seen. I know most of these are Spec B bumpers, but I think most of them look so much better.

Honestly, I really don't understand why we get the ugliest front bumper out of all the Legacy models in the world. I swear, and I know this is just one man's lowly opinion, that I would trade my front bumper for almost any other one I've seen. I know most of these are Spec B bumpers, but I think most of them look so much better.

Second that.

I think we are getting the same deal Subaru provides in Japan:

The 2.0GT has almost the same front bumper(except for the middle lower bar) we have : http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/b4/exterior/03/w.html

The 2.0GT Spec B with the bumper everybody's crazy about:

http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/b4/exterior/04/w.html

I keed I keeed

NZ models look the same as JDM and Austrailian market cars. It looks like it has flared fenders due to the angle of the picture, but I doubt they are any wider than any other legacy. the front and rear bumpers seem to be the same as the JDM GT Spec B.

The S401 is an awesome car. I believe it had a twin (sequential) turbo setup, and was pretty powerful. Although I have to agree, the older body style has nothing on the current one.

If I had cash, I would build a similar car to the S401... 05-06 WR Blue sedan, Diamond Black BBS Wheels (RG-Rs, not the overpriced STi wheels, but yes on the STi caps) Some aero kit upgrades (k2 Riez kit, M5-look.) and a blue alcantara and black leather interior. 6MT VTD transmission, STi rear end, Torque biasing diffs front and rear, and lots of other STi goodies. An 06 STi EJ257 engine, bored out to 2.8 liters, a big twin-scroll turbo, Front-mount intercooler, and a top-mount cold-air intake (gotta keep the hood scoop, it might as well feed the turbo.)

Then I'd get myself some JDM badging. STi side decals for the doors, B4 for the trunk, and a couple of S402 badges for the trunk lid, and the mesh grille.

I'd do a Twin-turbo H6, if the 3.0R engine would take to forced induction, with different cam timing, and lower-compression forged bottom end.

This is the kind of stuff Subaru should be offering in limited numbers. People would be scrambling for them, unlike the tepid pre-release response that the USDM GT Spec B seems to be getting.

The US spec bumpers are ugly indeed. The bumpers you see on other models are not necessarily Spec B - just the normal size ones on overseas versions:)

I'm sure there are some weird regulations in North America about bumpers, maybe that's why they are different here.

Here in Canada, Mitsubishi don't sell the EVO as the Canadian regs are different from the US ones, and I guess it's not worth their while to redesign it just for us :mad:

I'm sure there are some weird regulations in North America about bumpers, maybe that's why they are different here.

QUOTE]

Yup, your bumpers have to be able to "not deform" in an impact about twice the speed of a european or Japanese one, so we get smaller and more lithe bits of plastic

Why would I want an STi when I have a LGT Wagon :p

It's just frustrating that the consumers choices are restricted by some government official's decision on how much a bumper can deflet at *** mph.

Good answer:) I prefer the LGT to the STi. Heck, I prefer the 98-01 25RS styling to the STi styling.

I think we are getting the same deal Subaru provides in Japan:

The 2.0GT has almost the same front bumper(except for the middle lower bar) we have : http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/b4/exterior/03/w.html

The US bumper is noticeably more protruding i.e. it sticks out significantly further forward as compared the JDM (and other country) versions. They sit much flusher with the line of the bonnet/Grill. It is quite an obvious difference.

QUOTE]

Yup, your bumpers have to be able to "not deform" in an impact about twice the speed of a european or Japanese one, so we get smaller and more lithe bits of plastic

So what does this mean for people who convert to the JDM Spec B bumper and switch their bumper beam accordingly? Can you get fined or something for changing your car so that it doesn't meet US crash standards? I have to get rid of my bumper at some point, I think it is the worst part of the car visually, but I don't wanna get screwed for doing so :confused:

I don't think it is an issue of safety. The test noted is about strength, not size. I have not noticed Euro cars like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc changing the visual appearance of their bumpers for the US market.

I'm guessing it may be stronger design to meet the specs but the shape difference is only cosmetic to suit American market tastes more. If it meets the same strength standards (not sure how you prove it :confused: ) why would there be an issue?

Archived