LegacyGT.com

RalliTek 5EAT “Comfort” Transmission Mount Bushing – Review

SWP-LegacyGT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/PDX-LegacyGT/LGT%20Stuff/Bushing.gif

Okay by now if you own a 5EAT ‘05+ Legacy, you’ve probably heard of me. If you haven’t… welcome to the Legacy boards and strap in for another SWP review.

So I’ve been getting a LOT of PM’s from people asking…. “But Aaron… how does the Tranny mount bushing make my 5EAT more complete?”I decided it was time to write my full fledged review of it.Now that said, here’s a run down of what I have on my car at the time of writing this review :

RalliTEK Stage 1 w/ Enginuity

AVO Rear Sway Bar + AVO Endlinks

Perrin AFTA-MAF Tube

H.I.D. Drilless Walkthrough

Blitz Drop-in Filter

Kumho Ecsta ASX \ 225/45/17 on stock wheels

RalliTEK Trans Mount Bushing 5EAT

AVO RSB Mounts

Tein H-Techs on stock Struts

Having put some miles on the car from when I had the tranny mount put on, I can definitely feel a difference in how the car responds. How so is the usual question. Well, the polyurethane bushing that fits inside of the existing tranny mount replaces the “crusty” rubber one that simply has WAY to much play in how the car shifts. What I mean by that is the shifts from 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 ->5 have now been smoothed out to where if I’m in Drive, Sport mode or Sports Shift mode, the gearing between them feels so much more connected. I would say that it does take about 2-3 days for the bushing to settle into place completely but is completely safe to drive off and drive aggressively with it if you so choose to. Like I said the shifting is buttery smooth and when your foot is on the gas pedal, you feel more connected to the transmission and overall to the car. While going up inclines or around corners (at various speeds) the "Stock" 5EAT can bog a bit when it shifts but with the bushing, it completely locks in and shifts for you when you need it to. Love it.Now I’m not saying by any means does this replace the IPT valve body upgrade that a lot of the members on this board are upgrading their 5EAT’s to, however…. I would say this would be a wise move to do in conjunction with that upgrade… or hell even if your car is STOCK, this should be the mod that pops your cars cherry. (If you’re a 4EAT/5EAT of course….)

Comfort Vs. Race – What’s the difference… no, really… what the hell is the difference? - Glad you asked. So I asked that same question and here’s what I got. The race poly-bushing is a stiffer compound than the comfort. The comfort is a softer compound and makes the shifts not as sharp feeling. For my application of my Legacy, I choose the comfort for two reasons :

1) Legacy is being modified for sport and luxury. Something that I didn’t want to compromise was giving the car a “more harsh” feel than it was from the factory.

2) Wife doesn't even notice it.

So I’d imagine, if you went with the “Race” version, the shifts might be a bit more sharp than stock but still not too jarring as a Daily Driver.

Which brings up another question I’ve been getting; Mikeyan, another 5EAT’er on the board had some problems with his bushing that he got from RalliTek. Evidently, they sent him a 4EAT bushing as that is all they have listed on their site. RallITek from my first hand experience needs to custom make the 5EAT bushings when they get ordered because the 4EAT bushings are too large for our transmissions and they do have to shave them down a bit to fit. This is something that you can probably talk with the Sales staff about and/or place in the comments when you order off the site.

Also some notes about installation – I had RalliTek do the install job for me which was about 20 mins or so on the lift. That said, you can put the car up on blocks or risers and get to it but again, it’s going to be much easier with a lift.

Final Thoughts : Dammit, why didn’t I do this mod 2 years ago when I bought the car? I mean seriously, why!!?!?!!? The car with this mod and the others has made my Legacy into a brand new car. It’s my honest belief that every 4EAT/5EAT owner needs this mod and I’m not a paid RalliTek spokes person, Sean or Garner didn’t pay me to write this review up of their product…. The product speaks for itself.

If anyone has any other questions, concerns or even comments, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them as best I can. :)

Happy modding!

Aaron

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aaron, thank you for your write up.

Unfortunately, I did not realize that RalliTEK has to have the 5EAT bushings specially made. I'll have the techs at Yimi Sport give it a try.

Doesn't add anything to the cost. As soon as they get the order in, as long as you specified that you need it for a 5EAT application, they'd be able to get it for you.

All I remember about mikeyan's tranny bushing is that it was like trying to squeeze a 400lb fat dude in to a size XXS speedo... ie: not going to happen and even if it did, it sure would be ugly and would require a lot of lube and a crowbar... :lol:

and I got back another one, same size, and they said to trim it ;)

i guess another go is in order at some point, but trimming be required

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Have the bushing insert waiting in the garage for installation. Was labeled 4eat on the package even though I specified my vehicle as a 5eat. What kind of trimming is required? Just the leading edge being inserted to allow it to get started or does the entire bushing need to be shaved down in thickness?

Have the bushing insert waiting in the garage for installation. Was labeled 4eat on the package even though I specified my vehicle as a 5eat. What kind of trimming is required? Just the leading edge being inserted to allow it to get started or does the entire bushing need to be shaved down in thickness?

I'll try to take pics as i do mine...

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• 2 weeks later...

Archived