LegacyGT.com

Waxing for the Winter? and how to remove wax?

I got a couple of questions here...

First off. I am going to be doing some paint touch ups, and I am wondering what I can use to remove my NXT wax from the areas I will be touching up?

Secondly.

Whats a good, long lasting wax that I can use for the Winter? I know that none will last all winter, but I'd like to get the best run that I can. Up here by the time November rolls around, I may not be able to apply any more wax until March, if I am lucky. I do have a garage, but it's just too dang cold!

Any other ideas for the winter?

If you are dead set on using a "wax," then Collinite Insulator wax is your best bet for long-lasting protection. I personally would do a sealant instead of a wax for winter protection. My personal preference is the Duragloss PBA and 105 combination for long-lasting winter protection.

I would wash (with Dawn if you feel it neccessary to strip any old wax) -> clay bar -> Durgloss PBA -> Duragloss 105 right over the top of PBA -> Buff off PBA/105 mixture after it has hazed.

not necessarily dead set on using a wax. But that is all I have ever used. In the summer I do enjoy the detail of applying my wax and having my lgt so glossy that it blinds people as I pass. But in the winter I just want to have something that will protect my paint the best for the longest.

Being that I am not really familiar with anything else but wax, what is the primary differences? Can I reapply wax at the end of the winter?

I don't feel it that necessary to strip any old wax, but I just want to make sure that it is off of any paint chip/scratch areas before I use my touchup paint.

you can use rubbing alcohol to remove wax.

if you're going to remove wax from the entire car, try PaintPrep from Griot's.

it's good stuff.

www.griotsgarage.com

as far as long lasting waxes, for polymer try:

www.detailersparadise.com for Prima Epic

For carnauba:

www.griotsgarage.com for Best of Show

both waxes lasted the Chicago winter for about 4+ months

on a car that was outdoors 24/7. many manuf claims their

waxes last 6+months, doubtful in real world.

Griot's have a sealant that they claim will last a year.

I would go with the isopropyl alcohol idea to get the wax off in the areas that you are planning on touching up. That should get the wax off for sure.

As far as a good wax that will last the winter goes, what I use is Klasse Sealant Glaze. I get four or five coats of that on in October and I don't worry about my car till March or April. It is a synthetic acrylic sealant that is very very durable. Sort of like using super glue instead of Elmer's glue. If you want durability then you need to use a sealant. Waxes just don't last that long. There are a lot of threads about the benefit of sealants in the forum here.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. It's a little trickier than a normal carnauba wax, but the principle is the same. You wipe it on, wait a few minutes for it to dry, and then wipe it off. The shine is unbelievable and the protection is even more so.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I deffinetly like the idea of the rubbing alchol. Especially because its simple to apply directly to the spot that I am touching up.

I also am getting the impression that a sealant is the way to go for the winter. Is sealant a better product overall then wax? or is that a topic of much discussion among enthusiats? I'm all about the protection in the winter and the shine in the summer.

OCD....when you say 4 to 5 coats, do you wait at least a day or so between?

Yes, he is saying he waits a day in between. MOST sealants require 24 hours of cure time before you can layer another coat. I say most because there are some that claim 12 hours, and some even in one or two. Then there is the whole idea of using Polycharger and you muddy up the waters further.

But the rule of thumb is 24 hours between coats, 36 hours if it's hot and/or humid.

One big advantage to sealants is that you can layer them, and that they are much more durable than wax. As for layering wax, it's a contentious debate, but some people think you can layer wax, however most agree that you don't really add layers, but rather the "second layer" just smears the first layer around, hazes, and when you buff off, you are at the equivalent of a single layer again.

If you wash your car regularly, you can apply layers of sealant after each wash until you've hit the desired number of coats.

Sealants are definitely the best protection for winter. I would second OCD's suggestion of Klasse for winter because it's a very durable finish. I don't think it's a particularly rich finish, but it's very durable, which is obviously desirable for winter.

As for carnauba waxes, they are probably best for shine, but no matter what I just feel better about using a sealant. The difference in appearance is minimal, and sealants usually do a much better job at staying "clean" longer than wax since wax seems to attract dust more than sealants. I don't see the point of applying a wax for a richer shine for 6 hours before the dust detracts from that anyway. I would argue that a car protected with sealant will look better than a car protected with wax after two days.

Collinite Insulator Wax is good stuff. Its called a carnuabu wax but there is nothing carnuabu about its chemical content. Does a great job on Bird bombs and beads insanely for months. Its the only "carnuabu" wax, still available, I know that gives sealants a run for the money.

We are having a week here of no rain so this weekend I started of with a clay, I used Danase Wet Glaze which is an amazing synthetic glaze from http://www.danase.com (he also has a sealant that I am dying to try one day), then I used Meguiars #21. After all that I used Duragloss Aquawax (http://www.duragloss.com) on top. Next weekend I am going to go over the whole car with Collinite after a QD wipe down. Won't have to go near it till Spring 08 after that :)

Last year I used Klasse All in One and the Collinite on top and the car literally shrugged off the winter. Its sits outside 24/7 by the way.

The Klasse AIO is a cleaner/polish/sealant, but it is best to coat it with another sealant or wax afterwards for maximum protection.

Back to the op, nxt is actually a sealant even thought the bottle says wax, it IS a synthetic polymer, however it has light abrasives so it will not layer.

I just gave the Impreza a polish with ssr1 and then did the first of two coats of wg sealant. Next weekend I will wash and do the second coat, the following week I will top it off with duragloss aqua wax (my new favorite). The spec.b will get the same treatment starting this weekend. That is my plan of action for the upcoming winter.

I also second ocd's opinion of wax vs. sealant. For the winter you want something durable that will last many months, waxes look good but just aren't durable enough to last through the winter.

For you guys considering the Klasse twins: The AIO is a WONDERFUL product. I would not let my shelf be without it. The Selant Glaze is "difficult" to apply and wipe off. If you are set on using the Klasse SG, but haven't used it before, please apply it MUCH thinner than you think you need to. It will make your life easier.

For those that like the Klasse twins and haven't tried the Duragloss product: Do yourself a favor and try the PBA and 105 combo. The application is so easy and the protection should be at least as good, plus I think it looks much better than the SG.

After a good wash...clay the car. Then with a rag...dap a little bug/tar remover or rub alcohol and wipe down. This will remove wax, and the car will be glass-like. Use a polish, then Collinite wax...that's the best. And your car will be set for the winter...no detailers waste their time with sealers...their are pretty much money/time wasters. A lot have been taken off the market for bad contents, and there's no added benefit. Your best protection for your paint is a good wax...applied on a clean surface. Griot's has great products.
KevinH

no detailers waste their time with sealers...their are pretty much money/time wasters. A lot have been taken off the market for bad contents, and there's no added benefit.

Odd... Wolfgang sealant keeps the water beading on my car for 2-3 months. I have never found a wax that protects as long... Within the first 3-4 weeks the car always looks like it's been freshly detailed.

After a good wash...clay the car. Then with a rag...dap a little bug/tar remover or rub alcohol and wipe down. This will remove wax, and the car will be glass-like. Use a polish, then Collinite wax...that's the best. And your car will be set for the winter...no detailers waste their time with sealers...their are pretty much money/time wasters. A lot have been taken off the market for bad contents, and there's no added benefit. Your best protection for your paint is a good wax...applied on a clean surface. Griot's has great products.
And the world is flat too. :lol:

You need to get out more and try some good sealants. All the high end detailers in ALL of the areas I have lived in offer sealants. But, you have to pay more. Not because it takes more time, or even really costs more, but because you won't come back to them as often as you do with a wax :lol:

:spin:

Live under a rock much?

Well, how about some suggestions...instead of smart remarks....or let us in on your great sealers. I'd try something new if it's really good. But the last 3 threads just knock mine. They don't have anything good to add, just sarcasm. Help the guy out....if you got something good share it. Thats what this forum is about.
KevinH

I washed/clayed/Wolfganged my car back in July .. water still beads up and rolls off like I just did it yesterday. Wolfgang = win. I'm planning on redoing it here in the next month or so before it turns cold for good though.

Exactly which sealants have been taken off the shelves? If any sealants have left the shelves then it is because of VOC compliance. That affected just as many waxes at the time too. They are all back on the shelves now though. Polymer and Acrylic sealant technology just keeps getting better and better. There is a thread on here that has good discussion about the difference between sealants and waxes. I'm not one to go telling people to use the search button, but in this case I think it is going to be good advice. The topic has been covered many many times and it isn't something I particularly enjoy writing over and over again. Thus the long write ups on some of the threads in this forum. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, how about some suggestions...instead of smart remarks....or let us in on your great sealers. I'd try something new if it's really good. But the last 3 threads just knock mine. They don't have anything good to add, just sarcasm. Help the guy out....if you got something good share it. Thats what this forum is about.

My advice is to educate yourself on what sealers do.

Check out sites like Autopia, Detail City, and Auto Geek.

Honestly, if you went on to one of those sites and said the same things you did here, you'd be flamed off the board. So harsh or not, I don't think people were too hard on you here.

Sealants are more durable, generally offer better UV protection, are able to layer, apply just as quickly as wax (in most cases), and use less product.

There are only two advantages to wax. Looks (subjective) and Price (depending on the quality - there are waxes that cost WAY more than any sealant you can buy)

Archived