LegacyGT.com

'05 OB XT replacement struts & shocks?

Has anyone (such as Koni, Bilstein, etc) developed a replacement strut & shock for the 2005 Outback XT suspension? If I recall the XT version Outback has a ride height specific suspension.

Edit: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/ar...rtner=USERLAND a few excerpts from the article start here.

"But Subaru is tweaking some parts of the Outback sedan and wagon this year to meet the specifications of a light truck, the same regulatory category used by pickups and sport utilities. Why? Largely to avoid tougher fuel economy and air pollution standards for cars."

"This is a new low for the auto industry, and it would make George Orwell proud," said Daniel Becker, a global warming expert at the Sierra Club.

"It is particularly striking that Subaru wants to call the Outback a light truck because many of its owners see the wagon version as a rugged alternative to a sport utility, and the Outback sells best in those parts of the country, like college towns, where many people think it unfashionable to own an S.U.V."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------end.

Tell me I don't have to suffer the OEM dampers a minute longer. I drove the wife’s OB XT the other day and the brief ride reminded me of just how crummy the dampers and springs are.

Additionally, is there a (OB XT fitment) coilover arrangement without the noise (NVH) associated with coilovers? Something which would accommodate OEM hats might be quiet(er)?

The '05 OB XT ride (springs & shocks) was soft 2 1/2 years ago when the car was new and its no better 37k miles later...

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~ Thanks Leftride. Nicely modified XT....

After all this production time (3years) and there's not one aftermarket strut/shock manufacturer for this OBXT. Sad, really sad.

(The OB/XT has been a luv/Hate relationship; From day one the dysfunctional HVAC system control has been a huge pain in the arse. Go ahead, demonstrate a simple "cool air vent mode", I dare ya ~)

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

(The OB/XT has been a luv/Hate relationship; From day one the dysfunctional HVAC system control has been a huge pain in the arse. Go ahead, demonstrate a simple "cool air vent mode", I dare ya ~)

Not so simple, but it works:

1. On.
  2. Temperatures to 65.
  3. Off.
  4. Push recirculation until it shows air coming in.
  5. Fan is optional.

BC Racing also makes an outback specific coilover as well as megan racing

i've been searching as well so someone can correct me if i'm wrong bc all my info is legacygt.com theory...

we can use BP parts for our outbacks but they'll usually lower it down depending on the coilover/spring setup... that's where the problem lies bc the outbacks have stabilizing bar/perch that will hit???? this i'm unsure about...

the struts are the same for the sedan and wagon and the wagon has a bit longer spring in the rear to account for the extra weight

if you look on the japanese subaru site their outback uses the JDM struts which are bilsteins with pinks i think so we can too

they only difference would be to change to the JDM tophats in the front only...

you should search out unclemat's posts, as he seems to be the resident suspension guru here

i'm back and forth on this and haven't pulled the trigger but i'm leaning towards the kw variant 2's since they can be used with the USDM tophats and provide a not so harsh ride...

i think though no matter what you do, anything is better than stock

I don't think any Outback comes with Bilsteins stock. At least not until last year. If true, that must be something new.

There are however ftermarket Bilsteins (BTS Kit) for Outbacks in JDM that come with a set of springs as a package. I don't think anyone has them in the U.S.

thanks for jumping in and clarifying that... i think i saw a link for aftermarket bilsteins for the JDM outbacks

do you think that the USDM spec b struts will fit the US outback with the USDM tophats and JDM BP springs?

how will these be compared to the KW variant 2's? I know you've had variations of both... =)

1. On.
  2. Temperatures to 65.
  3. Off.
  5. Fan is optional.

Thanks ilh ~ I'll give this HVAC patch a try. (The OB XT is at the airport parking as we speak)

If this patch will provide a "unheated" vented air function.... well kwel. (I can't recall any car that I've ever owned or rented not having a simple "unheated" vent mode. Oh,,, maybe a Duck - 2CV??

On the OB XT suspension storyline ~ Is this "all she wrote" eh? So,,, the (limited) choice is the Subaru USA OE spring/shock arrangement or aftermarket coilovers.

Cheers, Mike

The only problem with those is that most people want to drop the Outback an inch or so to get rid of some of the height and you can't do that with those.

Aren't these Subaru OEM for JDM? If so, I'd be surprised if they were as high as USDM.

At any rate, where would we get them?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Aren't these Subaru OEM for JDM? If so, I'd be surprised if they were as high as USDM.

At any rate, where would we get them?

My thoughts exactly.

In addition:

From a USDM perspective; isn’t the ride height of the OB XT a wee bit higher than all other OB models and accordingly not EPA classified as passenger car, but rather a truck/SUV? Here in lies the uniqueness of the USA XTs suspension bit's. However, if there is a Bilstein shock/spring arrangement made (in JDM or whatever market) and this will fit our body in white Outback's . . . bring it on! I wouldn't give a rat’s arse about an inch or two of ride height one way or another if this would cure the XTs sloppy suspension on the street. (Many like me bought the XT model for the turbo motor and not some exaggerated ride height) After all, Subaru America authored the XTs ride height (to play games with the EPA classification) addressing their purported customers' calling "off road use" non-sense. I recall the WSJ article at the time and the statements made by the Subaru America CEO. (car industry executive non-sense!)

Having ordered the XT sight unseen and taking delivery in early November 2004, there was the belief the performance aftermarket would support the Outback range. A suspension enhancement here, brake caliper/rotor upgrades there and presto a poor man’s, totally under the radar Audi UrS6 Avant. (An Audi wagon which I’d driven for 10 years as a daily driver) Boy did I miscue with the OB XT car purchase….. not to mention the gimicky "dual climate control - P.O.S. - How did it ever make it to production" HVAC. Four months later I could be heard covering my tracks with, “Honey, I bought YOU a new car”.

So... here we are, us OB XT owners, back at square one. Again.

USDM= United States Domestic Market

JDM, etc.

Cheers, Mike

Right. JDM Outbacks ride lower than USDM. So those Bilstiens should lower USDM Outback but whatever difference that is.

I have tried japanparts, BTW. I didn't have enough info for them to figure out what was needed.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

if you look on the theL7.com website...

those with a regular bp wagon change out their strut mounts to use the JDM parts...

and add the dust seals or dust caps 20326AG000

the JDM Bilstein upper front strut mount part number 20320AG000 is the same as...

the 2006 USDM Spec B upper front strut mount 20320AG000...

so you can get these from a US dealer

the rears don't have to be swapped out as they're direct fitment with the struts

these are the parts you would have to get from japanparts if they have them:

Bilstein Spec-B Rear Shocks 20365AG050

Bilstein Spec-B Front Strut (Right) 20310AG100

Bilstein Spec-B Front Strut (Left) 20310AG110

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A& B Rear Shocks 20365AG120

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A Front Strut 20310AG140

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A Front Strut (Left) 20310AG150

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. B Front Strut (Right) 20310AG180

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. B Front Strut (Left) 20310AG190

and use the whatever springs are designated for the BP's... pinks, wangan, etc

i can't guarantee this will work but it seems like it should as everything matches up part number wise...

i found out that the kw variant 2's will actually raise the ground clearance on the outbacks?...

i think i'm going for the BC racing BR series

for his Parts list;

"these are the parts you would have to get from japanparts if they have them:"

Bilstein Spec-B Rear Shocks 20365AG050: (JDM 2.0 GT Model A)

Bilstein Spec-B Front Strut (Right) 20310AG100 (JDM 2.0 GT Model A)

Bilstein Spec-B Front Strut (Left) 20310AG110 (JDM 2.0 GT Model A)

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A& B Rear Shocks 20365AG120 ( JDM 2.0L GT Spec B Model B )

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A Front Strut 20310AG140 ( JDM 2.0 GT model B )

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. A Front Strut (Left) 20310AG150 ( JDM 2.0 GT Model B )

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. B Front Strut (Right) 20310AG180 ( JDM 2.0 GT Spec-B Model B )

Bilstein Spec-B Rev. B Front Strut (Left) 20310AG190 ( JDM 2.0 GT Spec-B Model B )

and use the whatever springs are designated for the BP's... pinks

*:Pinks we can also supply*

Parts are *Not* on our Site, but available and can be quoted for....

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

All the above are indicated to be GT parts. I'm not interested in lowering that much, nor compromising the already-compromised OB suspension geometry that much that much.

So - Should I conclude that the JDM OB Bilsteins are a myth?

I do not think there JDM OEM Bilsteins at least not for Rev A-C cars.

There *are* aftermarket Bilsteins (BTSKIT) for Outback in Japan. Ask Graham to quote you these.

I do not think there JDM OEM Bilsteins at least not for Rev A-C cars.

There *are* aftermarket Bilsteins (BTSKIT) for Outback in Japan. Ask Graham to quote you these.

We'll talk to Bilstein in Japan and see what they have for this Unit ( and PM ! )

Very best 4th of July to you all! :)

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

1. On.
  2. Temperatures to 65.
  3. Off.
  5. Fan is optional.

The flawed "Not So Automatic" automatic climate control in our MY05 OB XT doesn't work like this I'm afraid. We're good until step 5, the fan. (IMHO the fan's assistance is mandatory (in any mode) and not optional.) If/once a fan speed is selected this action will start the auto climate system to run changing itself to the closed recirculation mode with the A/C compressor operational.

A unheated ambient air "vent" mode with a fan assist this system does not have. One of serveral critical HVAC system flaws.

Hey Subaru of America and Panasonic: This POS excuse you shovel as a Dual-zone automatic climate control system is nothing of the kind! Shame on you guys, cuz you knew before production started what a POS it is. Welcome to the car business. . .

Dam, I was optimistic of this "Vent" patch.

Cheers, Mike

FWIW, the JDM or IPD rear swaybar will make a surprising amount of difference in that floaty feeling you are no doubt experiencing. It sure did on mine. Doesn't seem to make sense, but it works. And its much cheaper than coilovers. Still like to go that route someday, just not ready to shell out the $$$ yet.

Hey OBieXT und sebberry ~ Thanks for the rear Sway bar suggestion. Could ya ping me a part number? That and I presume you guys went with the JDM part sourced through Japanparts LLC; Maybe so? Are there any links, etc. or anything else I should look for to install the sway bar correctly? Again, thanks.

Cheers, Mike

After checking with the Cobb Tuning site it seems they do not have a sway bar for the Outback XT application. Sebberry, the Cobb sway bar you’ve mentioned must not be on an OB XT ~ presumably. Your profile omits a vehicle type.

I'll cast around with the Japanparts LLC or the IPD folks.

Cheers, Mike

Stay tuned ~ Thanks Japanparts LLC

A pleasure, **unfortunately**, Bilstein Japan don't supply Subaru with struts/springs for the lateish-Model OB XT, only much earlier models

They don't supply 'em aftermarket for that Unit either

Bilstein is an international company, and may have a source for the Part outside Japan

We tried

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

A pleasure, **unfortunately**, Bilstein Japan don't supply Subaru with struts/springs for the lateish-Model OB XT, only much earlier models

They don't supply 'em aftermarket for that Unit either

Bilstein is an international company, and may have a source for the Part outside Japan

We tried

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

They list Outback specific set on their website:

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/catalog/subaru/subaru.htm

Part numbers BTS5056J and BTS5058J, for 2.5i and 3.0R Outbacks, respectively. I know they exists, I saw picture of them.

You need to try harder :)

They list Outback specific set on their website:

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/catalog/subaru/subaru.htm

Part numbers BTS5056J and BTS5058J, for 2.5i and 3.0R Outbacks, respectively. I know they exists, I saw picture of them.

You need to try harder :)

Thanks Unclemat for the Bilstein details ... You're the Bomb! We're one step closer to good quality strut/shock/springs for the USDM OB XT. Son of a gun!!

Japanparts LLC, with these genuine Bilstein Japan part numbers could this assist your/our search cause?

FWITW: Translated from the Bilstein Japan site.

[regashii] outback 03/10~ 2.5L BP9 (D type includes) \ 194,250 BTS5056J (F) 0mm ® 0mm (F) the inverted single tube ® single scoop wheel high does not go down. It is genuine height.

Product guide 3.0L BPE (D type includes) \ 194,250 BTS5058J (F) 0mm ® 0mm (F) the inverted single tube ® single scoop wheel high does not go down. It is genuine height. Product guide

Edit: A Google search of the Bilstein part BTS5056J number provide this http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf I'll be God damed... there is a Bilstein strut/shock/spring application for the OB XT.

Cheers, Mike

Archived