LegacyGT.com

Looking to get back into Subaru: 2012 WRX, good deal?

Legend

The wife is looking to get out of her hard-loaded black/black V8 2006 FX45 70k miles and we've been looking at other small SUV's and either they are too big or too underpowered (usually both) and we aren't compelled that much by any designs either.

Then we thought maybe move down in size to a 2012+ WRX turbo hatch and found this deal locally on a 2013 with 10k miles.

Any comments on this car/deal welcome. I've been out of Subaru for about 2 years now and excited about possibly getting back in and don't know everything to look for on these. Colorado car prices tend to run a little higher for some damn reason (bought 2 of my last 3 cars from out of state to save money), but this time we want to trade in the FX45 so local preferred.

http://www.autonationchevroletnorth.com/VehicleDetails/used-2013-Subaru-Impreza_Wagon_WRX-5_door_Manual_Wagon-Denver-CO/2204288063

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Glad to see you getting back into a suby possibly. The newer wrx's are a great platform and they will be going down in price because of the release of the new body/drive train setup.

I shot you an email as well.

Keep us updated.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Whoa.. For that price you may as well buy a brand new one... (in CA)

Yep I agree this one is a bit overpriced. We might go drive it Tuesday anyhow and hold off for a white one. Wife wants leather, too.

My '05 LGT

My first instinct is that is a lot of money for that car ($27k) DXN is the base model and the MSRP was 26,600 for '13 and could been easily bought for 24-25k new. My initial instinct is that I would want to pay at most 23k for something like that.

I did a quick NADA and was surprised that the book is 27500, trade in was 23500. It probably doubtful that you will get it for 23k. I did a little more digging and found that wagon already worth $1000 more the sedan of the same year. (I suspect that has to do with '15 not available as a hatch).

Wrx has previously held there value very well. I don't know if that will continue with the new model available or maybe the last of the hatch will help its resale value. I know personally I would have hard time paying as much (if not more) for a used vehicle than it cost new. If you really want a hatch than obviously used is your only choice. I personally would a buy a new '15 wrx before buying used '13 for very similar money.

• 1 month later...

The FX45 pissed us off yesterday. We towed the boat down to Cherry Creek Res. and turned the car off to get the boat inspected. Two minutes later I went to start it up and the damn thing wouldn't start. It turned over very quickly but not a hint of wanting to start. We could hear the fuel pump prime when key on, so most likely not that. We sat for a while, tried restarting several times, but it just wouldn't start. Not even close. I then disconnected the battery, reconnected it after 5 minutes, and it started up immediately. Since then we've probably started it 15 times and no problems at all.

Add to that today the "service engine soon" light came on, meaning it has thrown a code. I don't know what the code is yet.

Anyhow, we are renewing the search for a FX45 replacement. Suggestions welcome.

It absolutely must be an automatic trans and AWD. Next priority is power (coming from the 335hp/360tq in the FX45, we are reluctant to get a total dog).

Top choices right now are the (new) WRX and Mazda CX-5. After that, other choices are a Legacy or Fusion... but not real wild about either of those. I don't need new cars for myself but my wife needs 100% reliability so I lean towards a new car for her... plus I get 2 cars and she only gets 1 so it's fair. ;)

We're bummed there aren't any small SUV's or crossovers under $35k with any real power... they are such dogs but the CX-5 wins all the comparison tests and is the lightest. Looks like you really need to spend >$40k to get your hands on a new small powerful crossover or SUV. The new WRX, in white, with the CVT transmission sounds like a riot, but might be too small for her. I'm cheering for that and we'll probably go drive one this week.

Thoughts?

My '05 LGT

Go drive a 2014/15 Forester XT. I know your not a big fan based on data sheets but its worth the drive if you liked the size and versatility of the FX45. The wife loves her 13 fxt and might have gone with the 14 but at the time it was a bigger price gap when both are new on the lot.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

Good point, Dave. We are both really starting to like the looks of the damn 2015 WRX, and we are intrigued with that. The storage/versatility thing isn't that big of a deal but one big thing we are going to lose almost no matter what is the ability to tow our boat. The Forester XT could probably do it though...

When considering the WRX vs. Forester, I'm just not sure we really need all that extra room in the back and not sure the 1-2 times per year we would take advantage of it is worth having a less fun car like the WRX.

As far as the boat-towing thing goes, the long-term plan is to upgrade my '99 Wrangler to a 12+ Wrangler (2-door). The 3.6L Pentastar is pretty awesome (292hp) and is a significant improvement in every way from my 195hp 4.0L. So, I guess if the boat-towing goes in limbo with a WRX purchase it would expedite my upgrade to a newer Wrangler... ;)

My '05 LGT

Alright I'm working on this Forester angle and I'm having issues with how the Forester stacks up against some of it's competition. In particular, I'm looking at the Forester XT, Kia Sorento EX, Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and the Hyundai Santa Fe. I've got them all priced between $30-32k for comparison. Reminder that I have zero brand loyalty and an open mind.

Power is huge to me and the Forester is last in power at 250hp. All 3 of the others have V6's and have 290hp. The Jeep's ridiculously porky curb weight of almost 4700lbs tells me that Forester would probably stomp on it though. I think I can throw the Jeep out right there first... (The Kia offers the best power to weight ratio)

The Forester gets the best mpg of the bunch... this is the one place it could shine but nope.. that benefit is cancelled out immediately because it requires premium fuel and the others are all fine with regular.

Besides the power-to-weight issue on both the Forester and Jeep, they both have significantly lesser warranties than the Hyundai and Kia. The Forester has the weakest warranty of all four.

Towing is also a consideration and the Forester is by far the worst with a capacity of just 1500lbs.. the others can tow 3500-7000lbs.

I'll still drive the Forester, but on paper it looks like for our needs the Sorento and Santa Fe offer a lot more bang for the buck than the Forester or Grand Cherokee. I'm throwing the Jeep out... too porky for me, needs a V8 with that weight.

EDIT: Maybe I should be comparing the Tribeca instead of Forester.

I'm still routing for the WRX though, but have a feeling we'll end up with an SUV.

My '05 LGT

Don't throw the FXT out just yet- remember we are at altitude so the HP numbers for those NA cars is not going to feel the same here. The turbo motor, while sipping premium, won't lose as much HP compared to the NAs.

In the long run, there is no substitution for test drives. If this is going to be her DD, then she should be the one making the final decision (IMO). I got my wife a '13 NA Forester that she absolutely loves, but doesn't have the power I would like for myself.

Two co-workers of mine have bought FXTs, and I have heard nothing but praise. Sorry, I have no say on the other options you are looking at, but a test drive is going to tell you 85% of what you need to know.

Don't throw the FXT out just yet- remember we are at altitude so the HP numbers for those NA cars is not going to feel the same here. The turbo motor, while sipping premium, won't lose as much HP compared to the NAs.

In the long run, there is no substitution for test drives. If this is going to be her DD, then she should be the one making the final decision (IMO). I got my wife a '13 NA Forester that she absolutely loves, but doesn't have the power I would like for myself.

Two co-workers of mine have bought FXTs, and I have heard nothing but praise. Sorry, I have no say on the other options you are looking at, but a test drive is going to tell you 85% of what you need to know.

Great points, thank you! I am a firm believer in FI at altitude. My boat and Shelby both have superchargers for that reason. And I'm a big fan of power otherwise, as my two NA vehicles have a 4.0L V6 and 4.5L V8.

Test drives... yeah.. it will be time to start that soon... I think we'll drive 1-2 cars this Friday.

I'm really surprised by my wife.. we've been exploring options for days... today I've been chatting with a guy with a '10 FX50-S (bad ass 400hp hard loaded 0-60 in 4.9s with 44k miles) and also chatted with a dealer about a '12 Sorento... I told my wife about both the conversations and she said, "You know I really love the FX45 still, and if we upgrade I'm most excited to drive something different... like '15 WRX and drive a fun fast car again". COOL. :cool:

My '05 LGT

Santa Fe is not bad. with the V6 it has some balls, and enough room for 4. Interior is nicer also.

I'd be down with that. 10 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of a Hyundai or Kia SUV, but they are as good as anything else and offer a LOT for the money and have the best warranties out there.

My '05 LGT

The 15 wrx would definitely be in the "test drives" section then if she's interested. I have a customer that is picking up the "wifes" 15wrx on Friday and I can find out what they think as well. If she is game its a great platform or beat someone down on a 12-14wrx hatch since the new model is out.

Take the 14+fxt for a drive as well though, I would be curious as to your opinion although I never noticed it was so weak in the towing capacity.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heading to the Subaru dealership in 15 minutes... 2015 WRX is high on our list.. will also check out a 2012 G37x with 8k miles for around $3k less than a new WRX. Drove a '15 CX-5 last night and loved everything about it except the power. That SUV with an extra 100hp would be fantastic, but with only 185hp and 4300lbs... ugh... still liked it though.

My '05 LGT

Drove these:

'15 Mazda CX-5: Liked the looks a lot both in and out. Great tech stuff. 185hp.. kinda okay in first, but then low power too evident. PASS

'12 Kia Sorrento, 15k miles: Very impressive interior and ameneties. Lots of toys... but a bit bigger than we need and slightly dorky. Good power. PASS

'15 Kia Sportage: The Kia salesman really wanted us to drive it... a bit smaller and cheaper than we were after, but pretty quick and fun. PASS

'12 Infiniti G37x, 8k miles: Holy crap the thing is pretty quick (335hp) and fun. Very similar to the FX45 we already drive, except interior seems small... and the trunk is small without rear folding seats. Looks too much like a fancy Maxima. (Duh). PASS.

'15 WRX Premium, CVT trans: Looks like the 4th gen LGT is back and better than ever! I looked up all the specs and it is 6" shorter than a 4th-gen yet interior room and trunk are all increased. Great use of space with deep trunk and 60/40 rear folding seats. Power was a bit disappointing... definitely didn't seem as quick as that G37x. Torque seems REALLY limited in 1st gear under 4000rpms. At first I thought the turbo was super laggy but I did a lot of throttle punches which were pretty responsive, so I think it is just part of the factory tune. Frustrating. The CVT transmission would definitely take some getting used to. The chassis/handling felt so nice and low and tight and solid. <more later, including how I got pulled over in it later... lunch break at work is over...>

My '05 LGT

• 2 weeks later...

Finally pulled the trigger last night. Special ordered a 2014 Cherokee Limited 4x4, luxury group, tech group, tow pkg, top of the line stereo/speakers. Deep cherry red, looks exactly like these stock photos.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/OutsideStockFrontQuarter_zps06b6116a.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/Interior_zps1a93f92e.jpg

It's on a train right now headed to Colorado and should get it next Monday. Panoramic roof, big 8.4" color touch screen, V6. Cool select-trac thing that puts it in strict FWD, strict RWD, snow (60/40) Subaru style, sand, etc... the crazy thing can park itself hands free, speak text messages, act as a wifi hotspot. heated steering wheel, full adaptive stop/go cruise control, blind spot, xenons, leds, ventilated seats, collision avoidance, remote start, pandora, iheart, slacker, yelp, voice texting, lane departure, power liftgate. etc. I think it is a rolling technology lab on a all-new smart 4WD system with 9-spd (9?!?) auto. Probably wayyyy too much stuff for all of it to work perfectly all the time.

The select-drive thing not only changes the torque distribution for the drive wheels, but also adjusts the shift points and tunes the suspension too.

279hp, 239tq V6... It's peppy quick but a little step down from the 325hp/350tq 4.5L V8 in the Infiniti. But, this thing is pretty light for an SUV, especially an American SUV. Base weight is around 3900lbs but I bet ours with all the crap I've added to it will weigh a lot closer to 4100lbs.

MSRP was $39,515. Ouch. About $4-5k more than a '15 WRX, but driving the two there was really no comparison between the utility, tech, an luxury between the two. The WRX is more of a driver's car for sure, but to be honest it was a little disappointing from a performance perspective but surprising good interior and trunk space.

My '05 LGT

Archived