LegacyGT.com

Please help identifying all these leaking parts.

Hey guys, I'm not too familiar with my EJ22E yet and it is making a mess in the driveway. I had it on stands over the weekend to find the source and found more than I was comfortable with. I just need to know what kind of gaskets/seals I have to get so I can do my research from there. Thanks ahead everybody.

Now on to pics...

Leak1.jpg.e28e067f425a2eeb2bbb0a8b6f122cc3.jpg

Leak2.jpg.b7fccf12f5ac1630dc45c4b6c0411b1f.jpg

Leak3.jpg.74afad32ca901b06717560baacf5475b.jpg

Leak4.jpg.fee10906ba9a16529c84c6e84488aa89.jpg

Leak5.jpg.403c1381896459422e5827217d173e3d.jpg

Leak6.jpg.ad0f09d3d4da043d4cf5ba1f987e34cb.jpg

There is so much gunk on there I want to fly to the states with a steel brush to clean it all, then burn down your city.

:lol:

Your valve covers may be leaking too. And yeah, replace that lower radiator hose that connects to the water pump. My wife was driving her SS and blew the upper hose a month or so ago. I'm lucky she didn't destroy the engine.

I bet your cam seals are leaking too. Possibly your oil pump needs to be resealed. But as long as you are not losing a quart of oil a week you probably be fine until you do your timing belt and replace them.

Looks like a typical old subie under there, lol.

Go to Wal Mart and get 6 cans of degreaser and spray it on while shes warm but not hot let soak and spray off... If you get it clean you might get an idea of the severity of the leak.

Here are my guesses:

Camshaft seals will be most of the drips on the oil filters and the radiator hose. Might as well count on valvecover gaskets. If you are doing cam seals, you might as well throw a timing belt kit with cam and crank seals, water pump and tensioner on there, fresh radiator hoses (oil does them absolutely no good) Ballpark $300-$400 for those parts.

Looks like an axleshaft seal on one of them.

If your cam seals are going, check your timing belt... Could be oil fouled.

Cam seals and cam cap o-rings

crank seal

valve cover gaskets

axle shaft seal - read up a lot on this one you can screw your transaxle up.

and oil separator plate on the rear of the block next to the rear main - pull engine to repair.

and probably the pcv

but what is NOT leaking, the rear main seal. they usually don't leak until they have been replaced. and unless it is dripping oil at the seal and running down the block, i would leave it alone.

and probably not the oil pan gasket. lots of folks think that it the leak and if the engine is out there no reason not to replace it, but the factory seal will usually last the life of the car.

Here are my guesses:

Camshaft seals will be most of the drips on the oil filters and the radiator hose. Might as well count on valvecover gaskets. If you are doing cam seals, you might as well throw a timing belt kit with cam and crank seals, water pump and tensioner on there, fresh radiator hoses (oil does them absolutely no good) Ballpark $300-$400 for those parts.

dont forget to do the oil pump O ring while its apart. and a big +1 for cleaning it up so you can see where its leaking from. degreaser and maybe a couple cans of brake cleaner up in there with a scrubber to get it clean.

You guys are awesome. I will certainly put this on my to do list for next weekend. Go figure, it's supposed to be in the 70's this weekend and I'll be at drill for all of it. As for now, I'll be doing some shopping around and research on how to do all of this stuff. The ammount of oil that is leaking isn't bad at all, I've only added an additional quart since last October-ish. Trans fluid is good, just checked it after taking those pics. Didn't check the coolant but I'm assuming since one of the leaks is on the coolant hose I will be doing a flush soon.

dont forget to do the oil pump O ring while its apart. and a big +1 for cleaning it up so you can see where its leaking from. degreaser and maybe a couple cans of brake cleaner up in there with a scrubber to get it clean.

Oil pump O ring??? I sealed mine up with grey pematex. I never found an O-ring.

lol mine was similar to that as well. i thought it was squarish by design until i got the new one. i didnt have the crimp in it tho. and honestly, if its not leaking after this long you probably dont have much to worry about yet, troob

Well that joke didn't work. Sorry guys...

While we are on the topic of leaks i have had bad luck with Fel Pro valvecover gaskets. I would double seal with gray Permatex especially around the spark plug seals. They kind of do about a 98% job of stopping the leaks which I was shocked by, i had always had great luck with them on the other vehicles i used them on. Be careful about buying parts store radiator hoses. I think i got a set of universal fit Dayco hoses and not one of them fit like it should and the upper radiator hose was too short. Johnegg also advises against parts store thermostatS causing overheating. Mine has been fine but its winter out. Due to some factor, i still have a coolant leak after my timing belt job. I am not sure if its the water pump seal, the garbage hoses, or what.

Good info. Just a quick question though, if I were to go to the junkyard to get the radiator hoses. (since that will be the easiest source) Would I be good as far as getting something that looks like it has NOT had any prior leaks? Also is there a significant difference between the 2.5 and 2.2 as far as radiator hoses go? Just trying to get info prior to going to the yard. There are more wagons and OB's available than Legacy sedans :/

The reason I replaced my hoses (because they were otherwise fine, really) Is I have had bad luck with hoses failing around the wire and bolt type hose clamps especially when soaked in oil (much like yours is). My clamps had started to sink into the rubber more than I liked, so while I had the coolant out I threw some hoses at it. I had one blow on an F150, a Honda and a BMW. Belt and screw clamps don't seem to cut the hoses off like a cheese slicer.

This is probably why I would avoid grabbing them off of a used car. The idea is "fix it and forget it" unless you are in a pinch. If your hose looks fine and isn't softened by the oil, then you could probably roll with it for a long time yet and be no further ahead than with a junkyard hose.

Archived