LegacyGT.com

Pegged negative AF Learning - all ranges - no knock - IAM 1.0

xt2005bonbon

As the title says and as shown in the attached screenshot, are these AF results due to a boost leak? Can't be vacuum leak as values are all negative right?

Will do a quick check now. Hopefully, someone will chime in. Car's running fine btw and got 28 mpg last drive. So it's kinna weird :confused:.

817836644_LearningView_SS_5-26-2014114906AM_126000miles.jpg.50c890e038d6e352254e806467c1513c.jpg

Found the culprit. Used the technique described on this site to look for leaks and heard hissing around the throttle body.

Took out intercooler and found a loose hose (the big one between the throttle body and the intercooler. Cleaned it up a bit as there was some pretty good amount of oil residue. I think I will need to change the pcv valve.

Tightened everything up. Went for a 190 mile trip WITHOUT resetting the ECU. Pulled LV afterwards. All trims are very good now :). However, IAM went down :confused:. That may be due to my engine cover not being tightened at all (missing all four screws). I will monitor...

1673498193_LearningView_SS_5-26-2014103111PM_126190miles.jpg.1ca8022fc18f5aabc19aede8c030c682.jpg

FLS_8886.thumb.jpg.5622244bd9590f0d13de9edbda38a414.jpg

FLS_8885.thumb.jpg.072e7e20becc85d666773cc67926d18b.jpg

Interesting point. I did not think about that. I did monitor AFR while driving and I thought it looked great.

However, I did notice that when I pushed the car for the first time in fourth gear (after the fix), my max boost went to 18.4 psi. I remember seeing ~17 psi max.

I'd also add that timing has always been around 47deg while cruising compared to 39 on my stage 1 car. I am no tuner, but thought that was a big diff..

Yeah. I will pull another LV tonight after work and see if it got better. I will probably pull the current tune and send it to my tuner (who did not tune this car). I hope the ECU is not married to some AP...

right - if it was pulling 15% of fuel with the tb hose leak, then the leak was fixed without resetting the ecu, it would be then running approximately 15% lean, which would cause knock and the IAM drop.

Hopefully it's already resolved :)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

right - if it was pulling 15% of fuel with the tb hose leak, then the leak was fixed without resetting the ecu, it would be then running approximately 15% lean, which would cause knock and the IAM drop.

Hopefully it's already resolved :)

mmh. another good point. Cause I have to say I pushed it in 4th (close to WOT) about 10 minutes after the fix, which was about ~10 miles driving. But then the next 180 miles were just fine and still 27-29 mpg... I should have probably reset the ECU after the fix..

I will post the next LV tonight.

Props to tuning alliance for such a simple way to check for leaks btw. Just need the cap of a spray paint can and good lungs :).

I'm guessing your LV will be fine... IAM of 1.000 and nice A/F learning values.

So... 27-29 mpg? I'd like those numbers! Maybe it's the 47 degrees of timing at cruise? :)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I hope so. Yes, 27-29 mpg indeed. I am still in awe. Could be that timing. I have no idea. Even mixed driving is OK (23-25 mpg). Timing at idle is like OEM specs (~11.5-12.5) but at cruise it is around 47 for sure. I should post a log.

Last weekend I revisited the ignition timing idea. I noticed that my stock 05 LGT ROM had as much as 15 degrees less ignition advance than a stock 09 LGT ROM, and I started to wonder if maybe Subaru learned something in the 4 years after my car rolled off the assembly line...

For example, my ROM has 32 degrees at 2000 RPM and 0.5 g/rev, whereas the 09 ROM has 45 degrees.

At 1600 RPM and 0.5 g/rev, I have 24 degrees and the 09 ROM has 41.

At 2000 RPM and 0.25 g/rev, my stock ROM has 26 degrees, and the 09 ROM has 45 degrees.

So, I made a couple of new ROMs, with timing values from the 09 LGT in the 800-2800 RPM and 0.5-1.0 g/rev area. One ROM uses the values from the 09's Cruise timing table, the other uses the values from the 09's Non-Cruise table. The non-cruise table runs the most timing in this area (the comparisons in above this paragraph came from the non-cruise table) and it seems a little smoother. I need to do more A/B testing to be sure though.

The result has been significantly smoother driving in the sub-2500 RPM / sub-1.0 g/rev area.

I didn't make any AVCS changes because this problem is worst when the engine is cold and AVCS doesn't start operating until the engine warms up. I didn't make any AFR changes because this corner of the fuel table is all 14.7 anyway.

I've attached a screenshot of the timing table that I've been running since Saturday, using values from the 09 LGT's non-cruise timing tables. The highlighted cells are the only ones that I have tweaked for this experiment. The corresponding dynamic advance table has no advance in the 0.25 and 0.5 columsn, 1.05 degrees in the 0.75 g/rev column, and 1.4 degrees in the 1.0 g/rev column.

I still have more experimenting to do, but I was so impressed by the results of this change that I figure it's worth sharing right away.

^ Food for thought regarding high timing values @ cruise...

Are you using your cars calculated mpg gauge? Mine always reads around 30 but what I do the math at the pump I have never gotten above 25... I think it has to do with tuning and/or larger injectors...

yeah I know that the gauge usually tends to be 'optimistic'. Yesterday 75/25 highway/city was 26.51 mpg calculated (filled up 8.9 gallons and did 236 miles). still not bad :).

Mmh, it's now nearly been 100 miles. Just pulled another LV and still .875... I have not been pushing the car for these last 100 miles at full boost to be safe. Fuel trims got worse too. So I just rechecked for leaks and there were none that I could find.

I am now wondering if the tune was really set up with the leak as I can see quite a lot of old oil residue around the throttle body, from where the leak was.

198054304_LearningView_SS_5-30-201484611PM_126285.jpg.84d709f59db0f13bba71023d4f00fc67.jpg

I would contact your tuner and ask him what's up... I would be concerned driving around with IAM <1.00

That's the thing. Trying to get in touch with the previous owner to know who tuned the car. I won't be driving it for the next week btw.

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, looks like it was tuned with a small leak. So they likely added fuel to the low end, and reduced fueling in boost. Once the leak is corrected you'll have rich low end and lean in boost. Which your lv reflects.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
Great news! Back to enjoying your car :)

thanks! I love this car. The tune combined with that grimmspeed boost control solenoid, and avo wastegate actuator (and other mods :rolleyes:) makes the throttle response so predictable. Very fun to drive.

Are you back on the road?

Not quite back on the road yet, very limited time to work on it the last week. Just "dropped" the engine back in the engine bay. Now it's just a matter of bolting everything back up.

Archived