LegacyGT.com

DIY Friendly Garage Group Trip

HarryN

Is this a good idea for meets?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea for meets?

Hey Guys,

Per fly's post about the DIY garage, I figure we try and start a group club meet there and possibly work on getting a group discount to work on our cars there. It sounds like a great idea, and having a trip down there and sharing knowledge about our cars so we become more independent with our repairs, is not only going to save us gobs of money, but we could also have a place to hang out sometimes or even hold events, should an official club for Legacy gets started up for this group.

Here is the info on the DIY Garage:

http://www.ditymechanics.com/ (thanks to Fly)

So if you are interested, please vote in the poll so we can get a tally on how good or bad an idea this is.

Now, some limitations: Engine work (tear downs) is not recommended, or transmission tear downs. This stuff is best left to your mechanic to do as they have the tools and experience to build them back up correctly. But minor things like oil changes, diff flui changes/flsuh, radiator changes/flush, brakes, etc would be ideal. You can even change out tires and balance them!! However, I don't think they have an alignment machine there. So make sure your alignment is good before and after you do your own work.

Enjoy and thanks for your time and vote!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not really that far.... i use to work in sterling (very close to this place and didnt even know) and now i moved to north bethesda and work even farther north in MD. i make this drive all the time on the weekends to meetup with people and without traffic its not bad at all.

i want to go install my springs there but i am a little hesitant on doing it myself. it would save me 400~ but then again i never installed them before. a group day for something like that would def get me interested.

If they have a wall mounted spring compressor then it is extremely easy. The non-wall mounted ones I am a bit hesitant of, but they definitely are way better than the sit on the strut/compress/loosen option...lol.

doesnt say wall mounted, just coil spring compressor.

link to the equipment (http://www.ditymechanics.com/documents/ourShop.html#equipment)

Hey Fly, I can help you out with the spring install. I'll show you a trick I learned from DPS Tuning. :) Works flawlessly, safe, and done in only 30 seconds. Without using a wall-mount spring compressor. Props go to Bryan at DPS Tuning!

WeatherWarrior, there is a DIY shop out in Glen Burnie as well. I just learned about it from a couple WRX guys I met at Annapolis Subaru. However, when I showed them this shop, they may start going down there since the shop is a lot bigger and cleaner, plus the staff at the Glen Burnie one is apparently equivalent to going to SE DC and asking a chop shop to fix your muffler.

I don't know of the address for the one in Glen Burnie, but from what I heard about it, STAY AWAY!

Also, I forgot to add what day people would be interested in meeting up and doing a caravan trip down there. I am going to stop by there soon (this weekend was a wash) and see if they can let us do a meet there and possibly apply for a group discount.

I can help with spring installs (done them on an LGT and a WRX), which by the way you DO NOT NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR TO DO! It's as if people have never tried to do an install without one! It's easy and very doable without a spring compressor.

Also, I need my brakes done.

I'm about 5 minutes away from this shop too so I can pretty much come anytime, although im very busy :(

WeatherWarrior, there is a DIY shop out in Glen Burnie as well. I just learned about it from a couple WRX guys I met at Annapolis Subaru. However, when I showed them this shop, they may start going down there since the shop is a lot bigger and cleaner, plus the staff at the Glen Burnie one is apparently equivalent to going to SE DC and asking a chop shop to fix your muffler.

Yeah...I'd want something that is well know for being clean, organized, well insured, etc. A BBB and consumer affairs check is warranted with anything automotive...and sounds like this place you are talking about wouldn't pass that test.

If only they had an alignment rack, I'd offer to do alignments for people.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

well sounds like you nice people are willing to help me with the spring install!!! I can easily help you guys in some way with whatever you may need.

HarryN, If you need I got a pretty good selection of cleaning stuff and aferrari88 I can help you with the brakes, which really isnt hard but lemme know.

Im heading home this weekend otherwise Id be heading down there for a wash myself. I wonder what kinda selection of polishers they have on hand. could be cheaper then buying my own.

I will follow the thread to see when you guys head out there. The new owner is coming to pick up my NX2k on the 22nd, so from then until November 19th I will be without a car. As long as it is prior the then I am definitely in and would be willing to help anyone on their installs.

Well again, just want to hear feedback. We could move this to Sunday if it works for everyone. I think this would be a valuable and awesome day, especially since people will learn about their car more as well as become more self-sufficient, ergo saving more money in the long run for mods or maintenance. :)

I just hope we can get enough interest. This is GOLD people! GOLD!! :)

Not to join the two threads, but the crab house meet is also that Sunday. With us potentially meeting at the garage wouldn't it be more advantageous to switch the food portion over to the pub Gray Ghost mentioned (Dogfish Head Ale Brew Pub in Chantilly)?

Not to join the two threads, but the crab house meet is also that Sunday. With us potentially meeting at the garage wouldn't it be more advantageous to switch the food portion over to the pub Gray Ghost mentioned (Dogfish Head Ale Brew Pub in Chantilly)?

You know, this would be a great suggestion. Since we will be down there anyways, it won't be that long of a drive. Plus with smelling like oil, gas, and grease, we'd probably score some skanks!! YEEEAAAHHH!! :lol::lol::lol:

I kid, I kid! But yeah, we may have to do the crab join another time. But we'd have to do the crab house soon. They definitely have some of the best damn crabs I have ever tasted.

Archived