LegacyGT.com

new to the Legacy 'o5 gt

I jsut picked one up with under 3000 miles on it. What is the first thing I should do of prolong engine life. Im looking at puting a blowoff valve and a drop in filter.

I have an autmotatic should I even waste my time on the blow off valve? If there is a need could you recomened one that doesnt create turbo lag and lead to gas guzzling? Im also looking for one that is fairly quite and doent draw to much attention.

Im also looking at a drop in intake filter could you guys recomend one?

I am totoaly new to the subaru line and know very little about the cars. I am trying to build this thing slowly on a budget.

Thanks guys

You really don't need a blowoff value. The Legacy uses a fully recirculating, so if you do decide to get one, make sure it's at least 50% recirculating, otherwise you will tend to run rich when letting off the throttle. Ultimately, you don't need one, unless you are trying to go north of 18 psi of boost, FYI, factory is 13 to 14 psi.

Drop in filters, whatever works for you. I have a oiled foam one. I like it, but others will debate that the oil can and/or does foul the MAF sensor. I have yet to have problems in 2 years. There is paper and gauze, whatever works for you. :)

Welcome to the Subaru family! :icon_bigg

thanks wow first person to post back.

Thanks so if I scratch the blow off valve idea, but if I decied to do it is there a recomneded brand that bolts in without modification to the engine cover?

Any particular recemondations for the filter?

Two good ones for drop in filters are blitz and AVO ... FYI, I have a blitz filter I am willing to let go, I just put in an AEM Cold Air Intake in the car so I no longer need it .. new they are like 50 bucks shipped ... how about 30 bucks shipped if you want it?

thanks wow first person to post back.

Thanks so if I scratch the blow off valve idea, but if I decied to do it is there a recomneded brand that bolts in without modification to the engine cover?

Don't know... Never wanted to replace my Bypass value, it would put me in a different autocross class.. :)

Some vendors on the board sell bolt ones, but you can also purchase an adapter plate so you can use a WRX style one. But, I have no clue if the engine cover will fit without modifications.

i have the perrin short ram intake which is foam and have had no problems with that..

as for the BOV i have this one from rallitek... http://www.rallitek.com/gfbblvalegth.html

this unit is either 100% recirc 100% or 50/50...

it isnt stupid loud but it does put off a nice whoooosh sound:icon_mrgr

but being an automatic the only way you get the sound is to let off the gas...

welcome and good luck modding

I jsut picked one up with under 3000 miles on it. What is the first thing I should do of prolong engine life. Im looking at puting a blowoff valve and a drop in filter.

I have an autmotatic should I even waste my time on the blow off valve? If there is a need could you recomened one that doesnt create turbo lag and lead to gas guzzling? Im also looking for one that is fairly quite and doent draw to much attention.

Im also looking at a drop in intake filter could you guys recomend one?

I am totoaly new to the subaru line and know very little about the cars. I am trying to build this thing slowly on a budget.

Thanks guys

Forget the drop in filter and spend the money on frequent oil changes. Don't wind it out too often. BOV the last thing to spend money on. Save up for a Cobb V2 and a map from:) TDC.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

how often do I have to change the oil on the car? Is there a GT oil change for dummies guide so that I know where to find every thing on the motor. What type of oil do you guys use, and filters.

What is the differnce between the AVO and the Blitz? Is one a dry or oilless filter?

The AVO and Blitz drop in filters are both dry .... and you should change your oil every 3k miles .. I do .. people have different opinions on what kind of oil you should run, regular dino or synthetic .. I run synthetic in mine. Also, I am pretty sure your manual that comes with your car has a schedule in it somewhere.

tire sound like a good sugestion. I was took it out for a perfornace test drive and hit a turn hard. And the car went sliding after the tire traction gave away. I had nittos on my last car and they worked awsome. Any sugestions on what brand of tires to get for all around performance with wet/ dry traction?

Sounds like the drop in is a waste of money, I do have to buy a new filter to replace the stock. Is it worth the extra $20 to replace. Will I get any gains at all or at least a little more aggresive sound?

I am looking to sythetic oil where can I find out about what brands work best and what filter you guys suggest. Im am looking at Mobile 1 sythetic since I can easily buy a case at Costco.

found the oil change thread! I still odly enough want to do the filter, its somthing I always have done in my cars. hey legacy05 how many miles is on your filter?

I think Ive decied to hold off on the blowoff valve. Im looking at tires and doing my exhuast system. What does all thoes up pipes, down pipes and mid pipes do?

I had a avo bov and I liked it and the car ran the same. I put the K&N typhoon intake and I really like all the sound mods now. But I took off the avo bov and now I just have the k&n intake. The sound is even better now and I like it with out the avo bov.

thanks for info guys, Im prob not going to do the blow-off vavle since Im inot planning on doing that major of mods. at least for now. I posted a question about rims and tires right now Im looking at the Rota D2 black with polished lip. Anyone seen these on a black on black legacy wagon? I really want the ssr professors but cannot afford them.

thanks for info guys, Im prob not going to do the blow-off vavle since Im inot planning on doing that major of mods. at least for now. I posted a question about rims and tires right now Im looking at the Rota D2 black with polished lip. Anyone seen these on a black on black legacy wagon? I really want the ssr professors but cannot afford them.

I think the D2's don't fit over the GT's brake calipers (the SP1 Professors do, fo shure :D)...then I could be wrong:icon_bigg

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I has reading through the forums, seent that it requires a high offset. but wasn't tore is it required a high disk back of the rim to push it away from the rotors and calipers. Hard to find cheap high disk rims from what I know, so Rota doesnt make high disk wheels?

Archived