LegacyGT.com

Timing belt job - What else do I do?

I'm nearing 100k, so it's time to start planning for my timing job. I believe I have most of the parts that I need. What else should I do while i'm in here? I'm already planning on removing the union bolt filter, but there has to be something that i'm missing; some part; something that I should take care of while i'm doing this job?

Currently I have the following parts, I've included the part numbers in case someone comes along searching for this information. These are OEM part numbers, none of this is aftermarket (Gates, Beck/Arnley, etc.)

---EJ255 GT/XT---

Timing Belt - P/N: 13028AA240

Water Pump - P/N: 21111AA280

Water Pump Gasket - P/N: 21114AA051

Belt Tensioner - P/N: 13033AA042

Thermostat & Gasket - P/N: 21210AA030

2x Idler - P/N: 13073AA142

(Small) Idler - P/N: 13073AA230

Idler Gear (Cog) - P/N: 13085AA080

---Optional, but usually a good idea---

Front main crankshaft seal - P/N: 806733030

2x Non-AVCS Cam Seal – P/N: 806732160

2x AVCS Cam Seal – P/N: 806742160

Oil Pump Seal - P/N: 10991AA001 (You also need FUJI-BOND/HONDA-BOND/RTV sealant.)

It's also a good idea to buy a jug of coolant, as you'll be dropping the radiator hose and removing the water pump, which drains the coolant.

Thanks guys!

Thank you SoSubiz! I've updated the list above to include everything that I plan on replacing. I'll be replacing my crankpulley with an aftermarket one, seeing as the stock one falls apart with age. (FWIW our engines are naturally balanced, it doesn't act as a harmonic balancer.)

Hopefully the list above helps someone in the future. If I missed anything please let me know.

Replace all timing components:

Timing Belt - P/N: 13028AA240

Water Pump - P/N: 21111AA280

Water Pump Gasket - P/N: 21114AA051

Belt Tensioner - P/N: 13033AA042

Thermostat & Gasket - P/N: 21210AA030

2x Idler - P/N: 13073AA142

(Small) Idler - P/N: 13073AA230

Idler Gear (Cog) - P/N: 13085AA080

Also replace:

Crankpulley w/ GrimmSpeed LWCP

Front main crankshaft seal - P/N: 806733030

2x Non-AVCS Cam Seal (Lower) – P/N: 806732160

2x AVCS Cam Seal (Upper) – P/N: 806742160

Oil Pump Seal - P/N: 10991AA001 (Needed: FUJI-BOND/HONDA-BOND/RTV sealant.)

Remove:

Union bolt filter behind driver’s side timing cover. Replace copper crush washers

Aw man you should of seen my last harmonic balancer before i replaced it. It wobbled like crazy, and when i removed it there was even a chunk missing off the back. That little lock pin or what ever its called dug into it. No way it was good for my crank bearings. A bad one that wobbles to much can throw off timing too. At least most cars.

At least inspect her when your removing every thing.

If you're going to attempt cam seals you'll want to have the replacement bolts on hand (I have extras actually). If you're lucky like boxkita, you'll spend several weeks trying to get sheared bolt shafts out of the heads without damaging them.

Have a friend with the company 23 cam tools and it will make your life easier.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Good plan.

Because i'm a lazy b:eek:stard, what method should I use to back the bolts out? Timing belt wrapped through the idlers, holding the cam in place?

What I did was, while the old belt was still on, have a buddy use the large cam wrench (it only work on the exhaust cam) and break the intake cam bolts loose on both sides. Then you can do the exhaust cams individually.

I'll update this post later with some of the information you need along with a few links. Some other astute fellows on here may beat me to it which is also fine :)

I believe I followed careercadaver's post on cam and crank seals. He's got a very nice walkthrough with pics.

Have a backup plan in the event Murphy's Law finds you; Murphy spares no mercy :spin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived