LegacyGT.com

Frozen windshield washer nozzles

Ok, I know I'm going to sound like a total n00b on this but bear with me.:lol:

Has anyone experienced that using the windshield washer in freezing temps results in frozen nozzles? I'm not talking about washer fluid hitting the windshield and then freezing on the windshield. I'm talking about hitting the button and nothing coming out. Before you post wiseass responses saying "No duh! Water freezes below 32 degrees.", let me explain. Freezing temps out. Windshield gets dirty from salt spray thrown up on windshield. Running the wipers just smears it. Hit the washer to clean it up. First couple of times, they work. After that, nothing. I know I'm not out of fluid because I can hit the rear nozzle (wagon) all day long. One would think that under the hood temps would keep them from freezing but they still freeze.

I've tried adding straight concentrate (good to -20 degrees). I've tried using the wiper heater (figuring an element in there might also run to the nozzles). Nothing has worked. The only reason why I would even attempt to wash the windshield under these conditions is that it can get a lot of salt on it during my drive and I cannot see. I've actually had to pull over and rub snow on the windshield. Of all the cars I've owned over my 20 years of driving, I have never had this problem before. Even my WRX didn't have this problem.

Am I missing some magical TSB fix? Do I not have something hooked up that should be? I don't have vacation pics to see under the shroud. Suggestions welcomed. flames>/dev/null

Running around with a dirty windshield,

Johnny

I had this same problem just a few weeks ago while trying to hastily make it to the airport to catch a flight therefore a delay would have been detrimental. I recalled that I had never added any fluid since purchase (~10k miles) and they always fill it with crappy fluid at the factory AND at those Jiffy Lube places. Don't ever let them top you off at those places. It’s worth the $2 to pick up a bottle of washer fluid at your local auto parts store.

So I pulled the cap on the reservoir and the 'dipstick' attached to the washer fluid cap actually had frozen blue washer fluid on the bottom 3rd of it. I did as you did by adding -20 liquid. This also didn't help.

Although it is not a long term solution nor is it an answer to your question, what ultimately allowed me to see clearly now (as the song goes) was to pop the hood and massage the tube that leads along the back of the hood to the nozzles. I did this because I suspected that the -20 additive had defrosted the reservoir but not the tube.

Problem solved for the short term.

Thanks for the replies so far!

rao, I'm pretty sure (doesn't smell like water) although it has been mostly the dealer who has been topping it off at service intervals. I'm sure they probably dilute it. To what extent (90:10?!), I don't know. I went in with straight concentrate. Maybe the mix still has too much water involved.

VtspecB, yeah, you know it is a bad sign when the dipstick is frozen! :lol:

I might have to drain and refill with 100% -20 degree concentrate to verify! Bummer is that:

1. I just topped it off.

2. The washer bottle looks to be a PITA to get out.

3. I'd probably burn the washer motor out pumping it out that way.

I was hoping for "this TSB fixes it" or "man you bought a friday-beercan car. Take it back and make them hook it up!"

At least I know I'm not alone!

I run straight washer fluid ("protects to MINUS 32") year around...it's cheap and I don't have to worry about getting caught with "mix" in the car when it gets cold. I have seen some fluids marked on the bottle "protects to PLUS 32"...usually stuff that tries to mimic Rain-X washer fluid. Go look at your stock bottle and carefully read the print on it.
It is still ugly.

I've tried using the wiper heater (figuring an element in there might also run to the nozzles). Nothing has worked.

That wiper heater is weaksauce. I find all it does is defog the very bottom of my windshield. Forget ice on the wiper blades, let alone getting warm enough to do anything for the nozzles.

I've been using the orange Rain-X crap. Don't know what it's good for temp wise but it's been damn cold up here. Never had a problem.

A pint or two of rubbing alcohol will work too.

ahhh .... good (inexpensive) thought. Are there are no paint or wax degradation concerns for any of the isopropyl alcohol mixture that might overspray onto the roof or drip on the hood?!?

I've had the system freeze up as well, not often, just on a couple of ski trips on particularly cold days. I've just got cheap fluid, so I've been using the squirter liberally since then to make room for some -20 fluid.

My guess is that isopropyl will evaporate before it can do any harm, but I am not so confident in that guess that I'm going to run out and try it. :)

I think the isopropyl would evaporate before you would get to use it. Even if you did, I dont think it would hurt the paint. I've gotten some nasty sap removed from the winshield and hood with using some on a rag.

This morning it was about 20 degrees out. I used the wipers and washers all morning long. No more freezing up. Seems like non-diluted -20 degree washer fluid, FTW!

• 9 months later...

Dusting this one off... Had the joy of picking up what looked like a floor protector for a piece of furniture that had a nail running through it and finding out my front washer fluid motor seems dead.

Rear is working fine, so those that had frozen fluid, did the front motor kick in and it was just a case of no fluid, or is the system smarter and not kick in when there's too much pressure/vac present?

My WWF nozzles froze up last weekend but I didn't notice whether the pump was still trying. FWIW, it resumed working as soon as things warmed up a little.

I just poured in (most of) a $4 bottle of concentrated magic stuff that supposedly will add another -20 to the usable range.

Beanboy,

It might be that your lines and wiper motor are frozen too. Even since I switched to full concentrate, I haven't had the problem again in order to find out if the motor kicks in if there is no pressure.

I've had it happen, didn't have the windshield base heater on.

This is a common problem on many cars. The fluid drains back after you release the button and seems to draw in some water, which later freezes.

The solution for old OB's was an anti-drainback valve that Honda put on their fluid lines. VDO makes some as well, but most folks seemed to buy a Honda part. No idea where to buy or what the PN is.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I've had it happen, didn't have the windshield base heater on.

Hmmm...I'm curious. I've only used the windshield heater when I was initially thawing out my car. The defrosters sit too high to get to the wipers in the parked position to thaw them out. I thought that the windshield heater was too far away from the nozzles to have an effect. :redface:

I use Prestone winter fluid starting around this time of year. It's yellow and costs a bit more than the blue stuff, but I found a six-pack cheap at BJs and stocked up for a couple years. I believe the Prestone fluid was marketed as a squirt-and-defrost option for people too lazy to scrape their windshield. No freezing issues and works great in bad weather.

I use Prestone winter fluid starting around this time of year. It's yellow and costs a bit more than the blue stuff, but I found a six-pack cheap at BJs and stocked up for a couple years. I believe the Prestone fluid was marketed as a squirt-and-defrost option for people too lazy to scrape their windshield. No freezing issues and works great in bad weather.

+1 Prestone is great stuff.... I've never had a problem.

• 1 year later...
+1 Prestone is great stuff.... I've never had a problem.

I put Prestone in over the weekend and the washers haven't worked since. Could be a combination of the water draining back through the nozzles and the blue/yellow mix but I'll still never use the Prestone fluid again.

Two days and counting without washer nozzles and it is nearly subzero here. :(

I put Prestone in over the weekend and the washers haven't worked since. Could be a combination of the water draining back through the nozzles and the blue/yellow mix but I'll still never use the Prestone fluid again.

Two days and counting without washer nozzles and it is nearly subzero here. :(

Did the washer nozzles work before you added the Prestone? I've never had a problem with it, and practically use it religiously.

Archived