Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, This will need to be tested...but since the serial data stream that is being recieved - modified - then re-transmitted should be the same for the NAV system. This means there is a good posibility that your instant MPG graph on your NAV system could turn into a boost gauge. Kinda neat.

If you need a volunteer to test this, with a MT and Factory Nav, I'd gladly step forward!!

ESPECIALLY if you can make the display read 'boost' or PSI vice MPG. :)

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Really all we can do with the trip computer is replace data it already displays. Although I understand your screen name now hadvw. Once I did envision a whole replacement trip computer with more advanced functionality, included boost gauge and OBDII reader. That project has been put on the shelf for now.

Ok. No worries. I guess to do a trip calculator, you'd need to tap the cruise line like the other rally computers do, and then have a correction factor.. Probably more trouble than it's worth (given the number of people who would want it).

As an aside: yeah, I registered my id really quick before I even bought the LGT, IIRC, to ask some questions.. Never really liked it, but I don't want to lose what little recognition I have on the board by changing it..

Is it possible to have whatever gauge you are replacing with boost (temp, MPG, etc) show it's normal output when the car is in negative boost?

Yup! This will be up to the user. Options are selected by toggling a dipswitch. For example I like to keep the TEMP on display most of the time, with the appropriate settings I would be able to view boost pressure while boosting and temperture under normal vac without pressing any buttons.

If you need a volunteer to test this, with a MT and Factory Nav, I'd gladly step forward!!

I will need some help testing on a car with a nav, I dont have a nav. I will also need a beta tester for an 2005. As a beta tester I would ship you the gauge - if it works and you like it you could then keep it for an "at cost" value (TBD). However I would need feedback and pictures.

ESPECIALLY if you can make the display read 'boost' or PSI vice MPG. :)

I wish I could. Altough it will display boost data on the trip computer and hopefully the navigation unit. There is no way to modify either display to say 'boost' As you can see in the video - it displays MPG.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

Yup! This will be up to the user. Options are selected by toggling a dipswitch. For example I like to keep the TEMP on display most of the time, with the appropriate settings I would be able to view boost pressure while boosting and temperture under normal vac without pressing any buttons.

I will need some help testing on a car with a nav, I dont have a nav. I will also need a beta tester for an 2005. As a beta tester I would ship you the gauge - if it works and you like it you could then keep it for an "at cost" value (TBD). However I would need feedback and pictures.

Well - since the specB is the only 05-06 LGT with MT and factory Nav...I'd offer it up if you needed it. And I'd do a great job writing things up and documenting stuff :)

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

I will also need a beta tester for an 2005. As a beta tester I would ship you the gauge - if it works and you like it you could then keep it for an "at cost" value (TBD). However I would need feedback and pictures.

I'm willing to beta test on a 2005. I have a gtboost20. Pictures are not a problem.

Edited by dammitjim

Beta tester will be:

2005 - dammitjim

Nav beta tester - dmp

2006 - tested by me

Thanks guys. I will let you know when I'm ready to ship these beta units. Then you can PM me with your addresses.

Let me know if you need anymore beta testers ;) 2005 GT

I wish I could. Altough it will display boost data on the trip computer and hopefully the navigation unit. There is no way to modify either display to say 'boost' As you can see in the video - it displays MPG.

Can you turn off the MPG indicator when it is reading boost? (so no indicator would be lit) This would be especially helpfull if you have the option turned on to only display psi when you are boosting.

Another feature I would love would be Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion. I can deal with gallons and miles, but frigging Fahrenheits are retarded.

Another feature I would love would be Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion. I can deal with gallons and miles, but frigging Fahrenheits are retarded.

Breaking news! The U.S. is not on the metric system. How do you survive?

Rehab is for quitters.

Breaking news! The U.S. is not on the metric system. How do you survive?

Actually it is and pretty much always has been (signed the Metre Convention almost immediately), just the Congress forgot to mandate it for day-to-day stuff (well, they tried, they lost by one vote in 1901 or so), so general population is still lives in middle ages.

In fact, all your medieval units like inches, miles, pounds are by defined in the U.S. law by reference to metric units. :lol:

If they ever converted over here, gas could only be sold in 3.785L quantities. Can you imagine the greed of gas stations if they could charge by the litre?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

If they ever converted over here, gas could only be sold in 3.785L quantities. Can you imagine the greed of gas stations if they could charge by the litre?

You must be kidding, I hope. This is obviously a non-sensical argument. Gas stations would charge what the market would bear... which with competition means the price would be the same. Anyway - off topic.

Back to the F to C conversion. I think many Canadians who bought the car in the U.S. could be interested in such a feature. It's really shame Subaru did not make the car switchable between metric/medieval units, but then it's an opportunity for the OP.