LegacyGT.com

2008 spec b vs. 2006 gt limited

heh2k

I test drove an '08 spec b recently and it didn't feel as fast as the '06 gt limited i test drove (tho, the '06 had the stutter). I do see that the new spec b is about 200lbs heavier (3500), and i know it's down 7 peak hp.

Is it down across the whole rev range?

the 7hp down is because of the new rating scale that was adopted after 06, i believe. If you go by 05-06 scale the 2008 spec b is still making 250hp. So there was no loss in power from 05-08, just a slightly revised scale adjustment

Ok, new corrected dyno hp scale. What should it put down at the wheels? About 200hp?

I also noticed the turbo in the 2006 was much louder at WOT (which i liked).

Is there a boost limit until 1,000 miles or something? or until the ecu has learned fuel trim and knock limits? I seem to run towards the redline much faster in the '06. Either it had a lot more power or lower gearing.

HOw many miles on the two?

I'm assuming the 06 has over 1000 miles on the clock?

Take into account engine break in.

Also, the 6 speed may give the Spec B a sluggish feel only becasue of driver error, not the car being slower.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

that's a little harsh for a pretty fair question.:rolleyes:

That wasnt directed to the OP just our favorite militant spec B jihadist.

The cars should honestly perform similarly. The spec has better suspension, tires etc, but more weight and worse gearing, perhaps a couple extra hp and trq to counter the weight.

HOw many miles on the two?

I'm assuming the 06 has over 1000 miles on the clock?

Take into account engine break in.

Also, the 6 speed may give the Spec B a sluggish feel only becasue of driver error, not the car being slower.

The '06 had 14k and then spec b had about 130. I had the spec b in sport # (i tried all 3 modes). I expected it to be slow below 3krpm, but even after 4k, there was no real rush, like there was in the '06 lgt. Trust me, i know how to work a clutch. 8) I've driven 5 cars with clutches and a couple motorcycles.

I just wonder if it limits boost before the ecu learns fuel trim and timing. Did anyone notice a significant power increase after break-in or ecu-reset on the 2.5l turbo? I don't want to pass up the car and later find out it was only running half boost.

I'm not doubting your driving ability :lol:

It was def the break in period. 130 miles.... the rings haven't settled and the ECU hasn't learned its way around the motor yet.

Test drive an 07 with some miles on it.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

try test driving a different one is my opinion. 130 miles the rings are seated, don't worry about that. the engine doesn't come from subaru never being started before, by the time the dealer sees a car, the rings are seated (waits for our subaru engine builder to chime in from chicagoland).

the initial advance multiplier from subaru is .5 I believe, it takes few runs to get to 1, but will stay at 1 unless it sees something wrong, so unless you were the first person to drive the car (doubtful at 130 miles) then you should be ok ECU wise as long as the engine isn't misfiring etc. all its going to do is add some timing anyway, boost will remain the same.

dunno what the issue could be here, but like i said, i'd try test driving a different one (different dealer if need be) and see what your impression is then. they should be the same though

wait till the Spec B breaks in trust me th 07-08's are faster. Catless UP and SI-Drive which helps a shit load PLUS a VF46 Turbo and bigger exhaust valves, not to mention the 6 speed to boot. EVen my 07 LGT 5mt with the SI drive and vf46 is going to make more power then the 05-06. Just wait till the AP comes out :)

ok, i'd still like to see the evidence, someone have a picture from each head pulled off of a car with a caliper or different part numbers from the dealer or something. this is the first i've heard of it, and i'm sure i would have heard it before from Vimy if it was 'true' :lol:

Is the '06 lgt intake and turbo much louder than the '08 spec b? I could really hear the turbo spool up in the '06 (which was sounded wonderful). I wonder if it was an upgraded turbo. If that were the case tho, i don't think it would've had the stutter (since with a bigger turbo, it should've been remapped, fixing the stutter).

Heh, also of note was that the clutch in the '06 was very hard to use. Like it had a bad master cylinder. That's one reason i turned down buying it.

ok, i'd still like to see the evidence, someone have a picture from each head pulled off of a car with a caliper or different part numbers from the dealer or something. this is the first i've heard of it, and i'm sure i would have heard it before from Vimy if it was 'true' :lol:

:attention::munch:

I asked my husband about the difference, since he has driven the '05, '06' and '07 (not yet the '08). He has also talked to a few Suby techs about the differences in the years. Besides cosmetics, weight, 6-speed, SI drive, and supposed slight tuning, there are no other real major differences. Minor differnces after driving the '07, are that the SI drive, which to him takes away from the performance of the car. It is nice to have the adjustment there but it seemed like it was lacking something. With the '06 LGT, that little stutter that you were talking about (which he notices on my car also), can easily be fixed with bolt on mods. Even if you drove another '06 you would find that they all have that little slight stutter to them.

This is just opinion though.

The 06 your sure is stock. I mean it might be louder because of the intake silencer removal. You never know someone could have even put an ap on it and put it up to stage 1 and the people at the dealer not notice.

:confused::lol:

Archived