LegacyGT.com

headers on 06 legacy

Not sure if this is correct spot or not, and I know this topic has also been talked about before but I'm having trouble finding straight answers. I have a 2006 legacy 2.5i 4speed auto ( just got car 4 months ago will be doing motor swap next winter or summer.)

I work at a Subaru dealer and recently got a 2015 wrx exhaust free. So I bolted that on. Fit almost perfect but was inch too short and mounts had to be moved on muffler. My remedy was to make a mid pipe to compensate for the length difference, (also deleting rear cat and that small resonator)which i did over the weekend. I'm left with a huge rasp. the only way I'm going to get the sound I want is with UEL headers. Borla are like 700 and I have heard about modifying some for the 2.5rs if im not mistaken but those are way different. To make a long post short, what are my options for making a UEL header that will dump at the pass side where the normal 3bolt flange is. I'm not afraid to cut and weld so if someone can clarify more I'd appreciate the help.

I appreciate the response, butibut I don't have that style exhaust.mine has the front cat, both heads running to it then it eptys on the pass side right by the head. So everything from there back is basically a custom straight pipe. that thread showed the older style exhaust.like I said the only headers I have found are the borlas for 700 but I'm sure there's an option? I was thinking of miodding a wrx header maybe but I wasn't sure if it was cast or not.

Basically, you're stuck with whatever headers you had stock. Heed my advice and put them back, or don't, and be sorry later. You literally have like, zero options here.

There is literally no performance gain to be had from headers on an NA, aftermarket, or or whatever bullshit you're trying to do with wrx headers.

First, thank you for your harsh language, second I never mentioned performance seeing as I said I'm going to be doing a swap in a year. What I said was SOUND. Obviously I'm looking for the rumble. Ti already have the straight pipe installed and don't have the stock one. It only has a rasp under hard acceleration. Sure I can put a straight resonator in to quiet that down but I was hoping to be able to change the headers to get exactly what I want. Seeing as u linked me to a thread with a completely different exhaust, this tells me you don't understand which "header" I currently have. So excuse me for trying to find help.

First, thank you for your harsh language, second I never mentioned performance seeing as I said I'm going to be doing a swap in a year. What I said was SOUND. Obviously I'm looking for the rumble. Ti already have the straight pipe installed and don't have the stock one. It only has a rasp under hard acceleration. Sure I can put a straight resonator in to quiet that down but I was hoping to be able to change the headers to get exactly what I want. Seeing as u linked me to a thread with a completely different exhaust, this tells me you don't understand which "header" I currently have. So excuse me for trying to find help.

By all means, partner -- find your 'rumble'.

:D

Sounds like you want the turbo headers, up, and down pipe with some kinda custom turbo delete test pipe. Only seen a few people online with it, never in person.

Rasp is from no mufflers or resonators. Pick one and throw it in the mid pipe somewhere.

Sounds like you want the turbo headers, up, and down pipe with some kinda custom turbo delete test pipe. Only seen a few people online with it, never in person.

Rasp is from no mufflers or resonators. Pick one and throw it in the mid pipe somewhere.

Car is non turbo...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Right now I have two wrx mufflers on the back. From there its a straightpipe all the at to the front cat. Fabbed up a mid pipe over the weekend. Basically what I'm looking for is a header that dumps on pass side by head. I've done a bit more research and it looks like maybe a wrx/lgt header might work if I get a two piece and don't use the up pipe looks like I can modify that flange to make it work. Can someone verify this? Every time I search this nobody has my style exhaust idk why it seems so hard to find.

The motor swap I've been going back and forth on. I really would like the sti motor but at 6k for that and trans, plus the other stuff ill need that will be like 9kstock swap. So I was thinking maybe the 2.0 swap from a 02 wrx. Thoughts on that anyone? I love this car and want to build a sleeper.

Merc6 is correct, rasp is from no resonator turbo or not. The reason you can get away without a resonator on most stock turbo Subarus is because the head has sharp turns and walls that exhaust notes hit against and looses its frequency, then you have the UEL manifold which further causes flow issues and exhaust gas collision. The stock turbo motor and manifold do exactly what a muffler does, create sharp turns and walls that causes the exhaust gasses to hit it, every time they hit it the raspy pitches get absorbed.

But even a straight through resonator goes a long way to soak up those raspy noises, even on turbo cars.

Here is my Nissan NA with a SR20VE (Nissan version of vtec). 3" SS exhaust and bored out 3" oem STI muffler. You can really hear the raspyness towards the end of the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0MOpNDqAbc]SR20VE 3" Exhaust, STI Muffler, NoResonator - YouTube[/ame]

That night I welded in a Borla 3" resonator (5" can), you can still hear some rasp but it's no where near as bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGZ60HK7co]SR20VE 3" Exhaust STI Muffler Borla 5" Resonator - YouTube[/ame]

Here is my favorite, the muffler bearing is the best way to quiet down an exhaust. The motor and cams were the same, only thing that changed is a turbo was added. The NA header is a 4-2-1 one, and the turbo header is a very small 4-2-1 one, It's an oem Nissan one, not the best for flow but still pairs cylinders in the short space that it has.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHd1o3bing]SR20VE vs SR20VE+T Exhaust Tone Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Grovlet- that's the previous model style exhaust.that goes down driver side. I could convert to that style if needed (and if clearance slows since I'll be dropping come this spring).

https://www.google.com/search?q=2006+legacy+front+converter&client=ms-android-att-us&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=f4O2VLXtGM32gwTHwoC4BA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=615#spd=17192167280574711105 this is the front header I currently have. I need something UEL that is similar to this that I could modify if needed.

The motor swap I've been going back and forth on. I really would like the sti motor but at 6k for that and trans, plus the other stuff ill need that will be like 9kstock swap. So I was thinking maybe the 2.0 swap from a 02 wrx. Thoughts on that anyone? I love this car and want to build a sleeper.

Thoughts? That's 6 to 9k you could use to get out of your parent's basement.

Furthermore, there have been many, many, MANY people who've started down the same path you are now, trying to 'STi-Swap' their NA Legacy. Currently, there's like, one, maybe two that are in existence, and only like, 50% of those two run, maybe 50% of the time.

For all the time and money spent, you could just buy an LGT.

Mrtris- you're a real douche UK that. You don't know me or anything about me. I fully support myself but thanks for the ignorant comments. If your going to talk like that refrain from posting. Everyone else that has answered has at least been trying to help and I appreciate that. Since you seem to be the god of lgts and the all knowing master why didn't you even know what exhaust i had? there's no reason any swap can't work in any car. I can buy a motor and trans for 3k. I have this car. Not an lgt. Those are hard to come by around here. So swapping this is OK to me if its not the grand. I like my car. You like yours. Idont bash me for no reason at all you just make yourself look like an ass. Furthermore, I know TPG tuning in PA has tuned at least three swapped legacy's (1 wagon) that I've seen personally. I know the owner nate. So before your ignorant lips flap again please e nicer with your words or say nothing at all. Nobody else is talking to me like you are.

Mrtris- you're a real douche UK that. You don't know me or anything about me. I fully support myself but thanks for the ignorant comments. If your going to talk like that refrain from posting. Everyone else that has answered has at least been trying to help and I appreciate that. Since you seem to be the god of lgts and the all knowing master why didn't you even know what exhaust i had? there's no reason any swap can't work in any car. I can buy a motor and trans for 3k. I have this car. Not an lgt. Those are hard to come by around here. So swapping this is OK to me if its not the grand. I like my car. You like yours. Idont bash me for no reason at all you just make yourself look like an ass. Furthermore, I know TPG tuning in PA has tuned at least three swapped legacy's (1 wagon) that I've seen personally. I know the owner nate. So before your ignorant lips flap again please e nicer with your words or say nothing at all. Nobody else is talking to me like you are.

LOL.

OK, your tuning shop probably has swapped Legacies from other generations, not 4th gens. It just doesn't work, and, it's money very poorly spent. But, apparently you east-coasters have a different idea of what's "cost-effective" than we do. Surprising, coming from the land of Ivy-Leagues.

Who's the ass here-- Says the guy who's putting turbo headers on a NON-TURBO car, strictly so he can have "dat subbie rumbl" ? Don't forget, you started down this road purely for noise. If you (truly) wanted performance, you'd realize that you're an idiot for even considering keeping and modifying your current ride.

What you don't realize is that I AM helping you. I'm right, and you're an idiot. The sooner you come to that realization, the sooner we can be friends.

You will also need an LGT ECU, since it doesn't seem like NA legacy ECU's are defined in RomRaider. LGT ECU will run you up around $100 used, but then you will need to get the dealer to program chipped keys to it for another $100 or so.

MrTris is right (but is not so diplomatic about it) about it being easier for you just to get a LGT. Heck for what it will end up costing you, you could buy my LGT.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

LOL.

OK, your tuning shop probably has swapped Legacies from other generations, not 4th gens. It just doesn't work, and, it's money very poorly spent. But, apparently you east-coasters have a different idea of what's "cost-effective" than we do. Surprising, coming from the land of Ivy-Leagues.

Who's the ass here-- Says the guy who's putting turbo headers on a NON-TURBO car, strictly so he can have "dat subbie rumbl" ? Don't forget, you started down this road purely for noise. If you (truly) wanted performance, you'd realize that you're an idiot for even considering keeping and modifying your current ride.

What you don't realize is that I AM helping you. I'm right, and you're an idiot. The sooner you come to that realization, the sooner we can be friends.

Hey Now... Not ALL east coasters have this mentality... im extremely happy with my car at stage 2 with an etune... I have no plans of going any further power wise... brakes and suspension are next for me lol

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Assuming you already paid the car off, the price of keeping that car in stock form and selling it will be easier than taking a fully working car and do a complete swap. it would totally be easier to grab a car like mine where it's a complete car sans the engine and start there. All the "donor parts" needed for the swap are there from the factory so there is no new trail to blaze where you kinda fight with the GF/Wife over the money you blew. Getting a already LGT back on the road is costing us a fortune if you scan our build threads so expect to pay even more for less progress.

You can message this guy and see how he did the exhaust if that helps.

Take a stock turbo manifold, chop off the flange, and weld on a little pipe and a flange to mate to the 2.5i exhaust. It's possible to swap, but you'll need the engine+wiring harness+ecu. Like others have said, the key needs to be re-programmed. Another thing to consider is that the wiring may have changed over the years, so you may have an issue with any ECU, so if you can match model years. It's possible, not easy, and not necessarily cheap. If your patient (read lazy), you can find a turbo car for less than a swap. I sold my 2.5i for more than I bought a OBXT in need of a bit of maintenance and completely broke even while lowering it, new wheels, and up/dp. Look up GEE-OTTO, he did a UEL on his 2.5i. Don't mind tris, he'll also tell you that you need perpetually need a new shortblock.

I decided I'm gunna use a wrx header and modify that to fit. I just hadhad a 09wrx on my liftand it looks like what i need. As far as the swap, I was goingbackand forth on my options. Obviously id need an ecue, but I just think the uniqueness of having a swapped legacy is sick. But, like is aid its a year away so things may change by then ho knows. I got my answer for the exhaust tho so thank you to everyone that helped. I appreciate it.

I'm going to add my 2 cents to this, because ... well .... that's what forums are for.

Being originally from Auburn, NY myself, and most likely worked at the same dealership as 06leg315, I can confirm that LGTs are a VERY rare find in our area. Granted if one is willing to drive a few hours, they can be had more easily. But I can count on one hand the number of LGTs I've seen for sale AND on the road in the last year; and trust me, my eye catches all 4gL I pass. The guy also only asked what would work. He was looking for information, not opinions. And he especially wasn't looking to be belligerently accosted. MrTris, this isn't the first or second time I've seen you belittle someone because they're opinion differs from yours, or doesn't want to do something the way you or maybe even the majority would do it.

I've never swapped a different motor into a 4gL but I don't see why it would be any different than when everyone was swapping Honda motors 10+/- years ago; motor, ecu, wiring harness, driveshafts. That being said ... you could do those [Honda] swaps much cheaper. I wouldn't spend the money swapping a 4gL myself. I could sell my N/A, add the swap money to it and have a Spec B shipped to me for the same cost. But hey, 14 years ago, this guy put THOUSANDS into the interior and exterior of a 1.5 liter 93 Civic Coupe automatic and didn't touch the motor. We all gotta do what we gotta do.

I'm going to add my 2 cents to this, because ... well .... that's what forums are for.

Being originally from Auburn, NY myself, and most likely worked at the same dealership as 06leg315, I can confirm that LGTs are a VERY rare find in our area. Granted if one is willing to drive a few hours, they can be had more easily. But I can count on one hand the number of LGTs I've seen for sale AND on the road in the last year; and trust me, my eye catches all 4gL I pass. The guy also only asked what would work. He was looking for information, not opinions. And he especially wasn't looking to be belligerently accosted. MrTris, this isn't the first or second time I've seen you belittle someone because they're opinion differs from yours, or doesn't want to do something the way you or maybe even the majority would do it.

I've never swapped a different motor into a 4gL but I don't see why it would be any different than when everyone was swapping Honda motors 10+/- years ago; motor, ecu, wiring harness, driveshafts. That being said ... you could do those [Honda] swaps much cheaper. I wouldn't spend the money swapping a 4gL myself. I could sell my N/A, add the swap money to it and have a Spec B shipped to me for the same cost. But hey, 14 years ago, this guy put THOUSANDS into the interior and exterior of a 1.5 liter 93 Civic Coupe automatic and didn't touch the motor. We all gotta do what we gotta do.

You know, it used to be that the popular thing to do -- ie, what everyone else was doing-- wasn't always a bright idea. That's why your mama always asked if you'd jump off a bridge just cause your friends were doing it.

Nowadays, though, people seem to be a bit smarter, and it's good to follow their lead. And around here, we're big proponents of people doing the smart thing. Often times, we share our experiences, including the failed ones, so that some can reap the benefit of our failures, thus, saving them from heartache, busted knuckles, and broken bank accounts. We lead others to success, and warn them, (as we should) when they endeavor to do something that had been historically unsuccessful, and costly.

Sometimes, people get an idea in their head. One that they're willing to see past the obvious reasons for failure, or, in this case, the obvious stupidity. Sometimes it's out of stubbornness, or "perserverance", or even just because their mama told they were special and they could do anything, and that they should do anything they want, especially if it makes them " unique".

Shit, nobody's ever hopped on one foot while jerking off in their space diaper on the west side of the moon, but, I guess OP should do that, too, because no one's ever done it before and it'd make him unique. It'll also be expensive, and stupid, save for bragging rights that they did it.

Heck, he could probably make some noises, even a Subie rumble, while hopping, and the funniest thing would happen: when people found out how and why he made those noises, they'd laugh. At him. And think he's an idiot.

Much like I think of the OP, and, to a certain degree, you, too.

Stay on earth, grounded in reality. It's less messy, and you don't have to wear a space diaper, (unless you want to, of course.) The reality that fitting turbo headers to an NA, sealing off the UP runner, and modifying the exhaust is dumb. It's the stuff that leads to epic fails, posts on reddit, and many, many people laughing at you, that no boxer rumble will be able to drown out.

Now, I've told you that the stove was hot; I showed you examples of someone else who got burned; I've even emotionally disincentivised you to not touch the stove. If you're gonna do it anyway, even to spite me, you're risking skin and ego on a gamble you don't stand a chance of winning.

But hey, I guess it's still a free country. .

You are incredibly ignorant. One of those people that thinks they know everything and any other opinion is wrong. that shows an incredible amount of weakness. maybe you're just not smart enough to do the swap since UK it "can't be done" in fourth gen.nobody asked your small minded ignorant opinions. Or you wall of text with your witty little attempts at humor. You look like a jackass. Being rude for literally no reason at all. You sir, are a striking example of why I, and 99 percent of my friends hate forums. Because people like you ruin it. I'm harming nobody asking a question about something I like. A build is a build. Whether you would do it the same way or not. I asked for a technical answer, not your negative opinion. I'm notgoing to keep rresponding to you. I Hope you feel cool in your little world.

Archived