LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Failure(s)

Roldan

Show me the broken ones. You keep using this thread as an example, but how many broken ones are actually mentioned in this thread? 8?

I backed up my driveway and the center diff locking ring popped out of its groove. Carnage ensued.

We need stronger center diff locking rings...

...and center diff bearings that last longer than 6 months before pitting and eating themselves even with $200 worth of redline gear oil keeping them lubed.

Mine blew last summer at around 100k. Here's a pic of 1st gear. I had been stage III for about 40k, but never hard-shifted, never did 1/4 mile runs and almost never dropped the clutch. I always ran Extra-S.

1st.jpg.34422cd751df476ac1fb0ae94f88fdcd.jpg

Mine blew last summer at around 100k. Here's a pic of 1st gear. I had been stage III for about 40k, but never hard-shifted, never did 1/4 mile runs and almost never dropped the clutch. I always ran Extra-S.

That's computer generated and you know it. It's a hoax. The 5mt is bombproof. :lol:

Ok, that's a total of 12?

The forum (just this one) has 67k members. Let's assume 30k have 05-09 LGT's or OBXT's.

Now let's assume 18k of them have 5mt's.

Even if you had 100 documented cases of failure of the 5mt, you're looking at a very small percentage.

This 5MT failure epidemic appears to affect less than 0.005% of all LGT's.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Does the 6mt center diff have the same play-doh snap ring that holds it together?

If it has a stronger snap ring or a better design, then yes, the whole transmission is stronger as a result.

Mine blowed up because of that stupid thing. The one I pulled out will be rebuilt with better parts, and will be for sale in the coming months.

Actually, scratch that... the one I pulled out will be reinstalled with a new clutch into my car, and the Spec.B trans that I got from pitcrew will be up for sale in a few months.

If I were to sell the rebuilt one, I'd have to ask too much for it. The pitcrew tranny would be cheaper because all I have into it besides what I paid him is about $50 in unicorn blood gear oil.

Edited by evil03mustang

Just to throw in my 2c... my Stage2 LGT 5MT has 120k on it. It has been officially launched at the dragstrip, earlier in its life.... maybe a total of 10 times? Day to day, I enjoy my Stage2... I don't drop the clutch and such from a standstill (bad way to break things) but I do use WOT whenever I can (merging onto the highway, etc). So, I'm WOT probably 2x a day. Maintenance-wise, I've used ExtraS for the last 2 changes... and the trans has worked well for me.

Anyway, back to the original intent of this thread and my post... my current issue is for the bearing whine on the back of the trans. I came here to ask about how to ensure my diff is fine, and got an answer on PM that I wanted to share with others. Here's the PM thread:

Hello,

You mentioned on the 5MT thread that you may be able to help identify a bad center diff while it's in the car... can you tell me how this is done?

If you are referring to the bearings, I can lend some assistance.

If the car whines while on throttle only (e.g., taking your foot off the gas and it immediately goes away or when you lightly press the accelerator the sound reappears), or makes a cyclical rubbing sound at low speed, it is highly suspect.

If you drive with your windows down and next to a curb at 35-45mph (I found the right side curb to reflect the sound the best), you will also hear the whine.

A bad differential will actually bind after driving at sustained driving at highway speed. After 20-30 minutes of freeway driving, pull into a parking lot and drive in a figure 8. If you have a hard time, hear tire slippage, or feel binding, it is likely a center differential.

In either case, basic tools (bearing puller set, a shop press and roll pin removal tools) can do the job well. It is about $350 for the diff and $130 for the bearings from Heuberger.

If you need any additional help, I will likely be checking back on this forum daily.

Thanks for the reply!

The car whines in general when at speed (60+). It's louder under accel or decel. I had my shop put it up on the lift and run it, and they know it's coming from the rear of the trans, for sure (using a stethescope) so I can't imagine what else it would be. Driving with the windows down at speed really isn't much of an option right now (it's friggen cold here in MA!) but I think the location of the sound is all set anyway, so...

I did your test for the diff last night after driving for about 1 hour... and the car is fine. That's what I really wanted to troubleshoot in depth... and I think it sounds like my diff is fine, and that this is just bearing noise. Car drives fine, so I think I'm safe with the diff for now at least. I'll have the bearings swapped, and see where that leads me.

Thanks, again, for the info... and the info about a set of new bearings from Heuberger!

I have a few posts in some threads. I'll try to dig them up...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spc2125-help-thread-188927p42.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spc2125-help-thread-188927p43.html

This is a good walkthrough: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071286

Information pulled from my maintenance log: I replaced my bearings on 6/23/2012 with 102480 miles. P/N: 806330120; 806255010; 806230170; 806322080 purchased from Heuberger Subaru for $133.01 + Fujibond red from IP&T (just buy the real stuff for hassle-free repair). I now have over 131k miles with no issues.

• 3 weeks later...
If I'm getting difficulty in going from 3rd to 4th and no other gears, what are my options? It's almost a grind if I try to shift at high rpms but drive it like a grandma and it transitions just fine. Clutch is starting to slip in 4th and 5th as well so I'm worried I may have TWO major repairs soon. :spin: I'm at OTS Stg 2 with 42k on the clutch and 162k on the trans.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

If I'm getting difficulty in going from 3rd to 4th and no other gears, what are my options? It's almost a grind if I try to shift at high rpms but drive it like a grandma and it transitions just fine. Clutch is starting to slip in 4th and 5th as well so I'm worried I may have TWO major repairs soon. :spin: I'm at OTS Stg 2 with 42k on the clutch and 162k on the trans.

Look at it this way, the trans has to come out to repair the syncros anyway, so they won't charge you much for the clutch install, just parts.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, get it repaired asap so you don't screw up your gears and acquire additional parts costs.

If the trans is coming out, I'd replace the center diff bearings while its out.

English = syncros and center diff bearings need replacement???

syncros = yes. sounds like your 4th gear syncro is bad. if you're extremely lucky it might just be something like a bad shifter bushing, but you'd notice a lot of slop in the shifter (more so than usual)

center diff bearings = more of a preventative maintenance thing. mine make a decent amount of noise and my LGT has 60k less than yours, but I also have stiff bushings that transmit a lot more noise than stock. the trans doesn't have to be removed to access the center diff, but they'd charge you a lot less labor to replace the bearings now, as opposed to another repair down the road. just something to consider

Got it. Thank you very much. I know I had some noise back around 100k and I know some trans/diff/random bearings were replaced. I'll have to pull up the paperwork.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Funny how the redesigned bearing has rollers that are much smaller (with a corresponding thicker outer race)
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

My 5mt has been making some noise for quite a while now. The tone of the whine is consistent with my speed and is louder under load. When I decelerate it makes kind of like a flutter.

Not only that but shifting into 4th and 5th grind when the trans is warm (about 10 mins of daily driving).

I've been told it could be an input bearing making the noise and it could have stemmed from an improperly installed aftermarket clutch, but of course I wont know until I eventually open it up :) I'm not looking forward to the potential $2000 for a rebuild though...

And i just wanted to throw this out there, this is my first ever post to any forum ever. ;)