LegacyGT.com

Changing Rotors and Pads....

LivinLegacy

So quick question here,

Is changing the rotors and pads pretty straight forward on these cars? i have an 06 legacy 2.5i and i am about to change both rotors and pads on all 4 corners. Its been about 2yrs and about 40k mi with out breaks... dunno how i got that far but they just recently started to show their ware.

only reason i ask this is i had a honda accord in the past and when i went to change the rotors my mind was blown that i had to pull the hub out from the axel and disconnect the rotors from behind ... f'n irritating!

any advice would be greatful.

thanks.

Changing pads and rotors on these cars is pretty straight forward. Just remove the two caliper bolts on each caliper, Compress the calipers, move the calipers to the side, then remove the rotors. You might have to convince them with a rubber mallet or insert bolts into the bolt holes there to help remove stubborn rotors.

The rear caliper bolts are kind of a bitch. use a very long extension for the top one and a swivel socket and some extension for the bottom bolt. After lots of cursing you should be able to break them loose....lol. Oh yeah, make sure the parking brake is off for the rear.

By the 2 caliper bolts are you referring to the 14mm bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket or the 2 larger bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the hub area? I changed the rotors on my '90 Legacy years ago and I had to take the bracket off first before the rotor would come off.

By the 2 caliper bolts are you referring to the 14mm bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket or the 2 larger bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the hub area? I changed the rotors on my '90 Legacy years ago and I had to take the bracket off first before the rotor would come off.

The larger bolts that mount the caliper to the hub in the front, and the backing plate in the rear so they can be removed as one piece.

You did it the long way, you dont need to remove the bolts you did first to remove the caliper. You can remove those bolts if you are just changing pads and dont need to remove the rotor.

sadly i am just going with your basic set up i can't afford anything high class atm.

thanks for the info. saved me some roadblocks, nothing like geting started and needing to go out and get some proper tools. ( i don't have a huge garage, jsut some of your basic tools) i am prolly gonna have to go get a swivel attactment and make sure i have extensions.

and the cursing part.. noo problem one of my best tools.

Archived