LegacyGT.com

LGT Auto Vs Mazda6 MT

keithk831

So I have been leaning towards a LGT for a while now, but today I went and test drove a V6 Mazda6. I wasn't impressed with the AT version, but the MT felt about as quick (if not quicker) than the LGT 5EAT I test drove a month or so ago.

Since these cars are similar in performance, features and price, what are your thoughts on the matter? Obviously the LGT MT takes the cake; i'm just wondering about these two cars.

AWD is something I think would be nice to have, but when i'm done with school I doubt we'll live anywhere that gets tons of snow.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Provo guy, awesome! I was in the same dilemma (looked at IS350, gto/cts-v, sti, and ended up with what I always thought I would...a LGT). I wanted awd (now I realize that is not as necessary, but is nice to never worry about terminal oversteer) and a car that didn't say look at me so the IS350 and STI had to go, though it was hard. There are a lot of MS6s around here that are pretty nice looking IMO. Check out the MS3 too, my roommate drives one and I take it out all the time. Real torquey down low and very little body roll for stock makes for a sweet ride.

Get the LGT bro (I live off of 600 north by the way) and you can come see how the 5spd is with a Cobb sts whenever you want.

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't do TOO much modding in the new car, simply because i'm married now and wnt have as much time/money to do things like that anymore. I'd probably do basics like an intake or downpipe/uppipe; nothing big.

I'm not a fan of the MS3 since I don't really like hatchbacks. I test drove a MS6 yesterday and it's fun to drive, but it is more expensive than a LGT. I'm also guessing the insurance costs are higher with the MS6.

I'm also looking at reliability. I have heard pretty good things about Subaru, but don't know much about Mazda's track record with reliability.

The awd on the 2 cars are not much of a comparison, the Mazda is very fwd biased. How did you like the dual exhaust on the MS6??

The appearance or the sound? I didn't take much notice of it. It didn't seem loud by any means.

The appearance or the sound? I didn't take much notice of it. It didn't seem loud by any means.

I think wukindada means is the look of how the dual exhaust looks bad ass from a distance but it's just I tiny tip surronded by a giant piece of chrome - ghey!!. Many don't notice it at first.

It's like putting socks in your pants when you go to the club.:p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't do TOO much modding in the new car, simply because i'm married now and wnt have as much time/money to do things like that anymore. I'd probably do basics like an intake or downpipe/uppipe; nothing big.

I'm not a fan of the MS3 since I don't really like hatchbacks. I test drove a MS6 yesterday and it's fun to drive, but it is more expensive than a LGT. I'm also guessing the insurance costs are higher with the MS6.

I'm also looking at reliability. I have heard pretty good things about Subaru, but don't know much about Mazda's track record with reliability.

I am in the same boat as you then...with the whole gotta be responsible thing cuz I am married (or will be on the eighth of next month :wub:). Don't waste your time or money with an intake though. I went stage II on my car for a grand total of 400 bucks (including the Access Port). If I did it over again I would have bought the STS first.

Are you trying to get an automatic so the wifey can use her, or is a manual LGT a possibility?

I didn't get a close-up look at the tips...sorry.

I am in the same boat as you then...with the whole gotta be responsible thing cuz I am married (or will be on the eighth of next month :wub:). Don't waste your time or money with an intake though. I went stage II on my car for a grand total of 400 bucks (including the Access Port). If I did it over again I would have bought the STS first.

Are you trying to get an automatic so the wifey can use her, or is a manual LGT a possibility?

Well i'd like to get a MT, but they're harder to find and usually cost more. I guess it depends on what's available when we need to buy a second vehicle.

So does anyone know how the Mazda6 MT compares with the LGT 5EAT performance-wise?

I have never driven a na mazda 6, but I remember multiple car mags giving that little 3.0 six good reviews for being smooth. My guess is that the 6 would pull the leggy off the line unless you applied slight brake torquing and that the leggy would provide better passing power above 30mph. Interior is nicer on the legacy too. Some of those 6s have real nice wheels though on the newer ones. Handling would be a toss up, both with quite a bit of roll

Yeah, I liked the transmission/shifter on the 6. It was smooth and easy to use. Interior was nice, too, but i'll need to compare with the LGT again. I have read a ot of things on here about rattles and stuff.

LGT 5EAT will DESTROY a Mazda6 MT...

The MS6 will DESTROY the LGT 5EAT...

The LGT will be better in than the Mazda^ interms of straight-line performance, as well as cornering. But, the Mazda6 might FEEL more adept in the corners due to less body roll...

:spin:

I own both.

Except my LGT is a specb.

My 6 is a 2007 Wagon w 5MT

There is no comparison between these two cars in my opinion. Sure the mazda may be able to handle as good, the stereo is better etc, but the Legacy is a much better car overall. It is quieter, has a MUCH nicer interior, has much better fit and finish, has much more power, has AWD, and just feels like a more solid car to me. I will say that the 6 Wagon is handy tho. Has a ton of room and is very good utility wise.

If I had to do it over again, I would still have the Legacy, and I wouldn't even visit a Mazda dealer. ;)

Yeah, I liked the transmission/shifter on the 6. It was smooth and easy to use. Interior was nice, too, but i'll need to compare with the LGT again. I have read a ot of things on here about rattles and stuff.

I strongly disagree. The 5MT in my 6 is awful(At least in my 6). But alas, it is built by Ford so......:spin:.

I have no rattles, knock on wood. Kind of have a love hate relationship with the frameless windows, but it is more love (mostly cuz I love driving with the windas halfway down :cool:). That Mazda 6 is kind of an older chassis and I bet it will develop just as many rattles and creeks, but that is just my hypothesis...

Well I went today and test drove a 5MT 2009 LGT. I have to say the Mazda6 is out of the running. The prices are similar but the LGT is just a much better car. So now it's down to a LGT or a MS6.

This was what it came down to for me too though I was looking at the ms6 vs the spec b. Have you found a ms6 somewhere? I almost bought one which was the last one around this area and that was at least 7 or 8 months ago now.

This was what it came down to for me too though I was looking at the ms6 vs the spec b. Have you found a ms6 somewhere? I almost bought one which was the last one around this area and that was at least 7 or 8 months ago now.

Local dealership has a black 06 MS6 Sport. There were 3 in the parking lot but two are taken ;-)

LGT 5EAT will DESTROY a Mazda6 MT...

The MS6 will DESTROY the LGT 5EAT...

The LGT will be better in than the Mazda^ interms of straight-line performance, as well as cornering. But, the Mazda6 might FEEL more adept in the corners due to less body roll...

no way. When I took the MS6 out for a test drive, the salesman kept saying, isn't this fast? I'm like no. I want to get back into my LGT 5EAT. That's MUCH faster. I was greatly disappointed in the MS6 all around. I do like the styling, however those exhaust tips??? JUST CHEAP!!!! interior seemed nice, but once I took it for a drive and put my foot down (even launched it a little) I was just :( the rest of the drive. Now, the MS3 on the other hand... that was a :) the entire test drive but I need AWD or 4WD here so the MS3 was a no go for my needs.

Just add a Cobb Accessport to your LGT 5EAT with a PDX stg 1 map and you will be very :D

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

no way. When I took the MS6 out for a test drive, the salesman kept saying, isn't this fast? I'm like no. I want to get back into my LGT 5EAT. That's MUCH faster. I was greatly disappointed in the MS6 all around. I do like the styling, however those exhaust tips??? JUST CHEAP!!!! interior seemed nice, but once I took it for a drive and put my foot down (even launched it a little) I was just :( the rest of the drive. Now, the MS3 on the other hand... that was a :) the entire test drive but I need AWD or 4WD here so the MS3 was a no go for my needs.

Just add a Cobb Accessport to your LGT 5EAT with a PDX stg 1 map and you will be very :D

I agree. The local tuning shop down here who cobb refers to (solid autoworks) get a lot of evos, stis, rexs, and a few mazdas. They all feel that the bugeyed rexs (2.0L) feel very similar to the MS6 in performance. To the MS6 benefit I like the hood and at least the exhaust looks good from far and is not lower on one side than the other as the legacy's shoddy dual exhaust is.

We have one MS6 come with us on our legacy meets here in SLC and it barely hangs on at times (granted it could be the driver driving more conservative). MS3, Cobalt SS (direct injected turbo anyone, but only 2 doors), or legacy FTW!

Archived