LegacyGT.com

Anyone go from an LGT to a 2.5i and regret it?

I am just curious...I have the option to get into a 2.5GT (with leather, since they don't make it with cloth anymore...sucks), or a 2.5i SE with cloth, and both will be a 5-speed.

Anyone ever made the switch from an LGT to a non-LGT and regret not having the power? The LGT I owned never really had any power mods...but, it did have some suspension mods...which, I know how to do, etc. Never really could use 'more' power in the NYC area, when I lived there...but, now, in FL where the speed limits are a tad higher, I am wondering if maybe staying with an LGT might not be such a bad thing? Though, the leather is gonna burn an imprint in my legs...with all the heat down here.

Stupid Subaru, for taking away cloth seats, in an LGT! Why does everything have to be 'leather' clad these days????:mad:

^^ Yeah, I figure it would be. Then again, I am saving to buy a house, and the wife wants kids soon, so, the savings would help in the near future....

Let's see fun vs. savings...it's a tough one. I loved the LGT I sold...but, it's gone to a good home now.

I did it for the same savings reason. Because of that I really don't regret it.

Honestly I had no issues with the 2.5i as where with the GT it had many little annoying things that required I visit the dealership very often.

The GT was a fun blond, and the 2.5i is a dependable brunette.

Both need to be loved in different ways! :lol:

X

---

If you are really saving for a home / kids, whatever, why buy a newish Legacy / GT at all...?

Why not buy an older $5K 4 cylinder car (older Legacy, Honda, etc, etc) and really

put some extra money in your wallet?

If you think a choice between either the 2.5 or the GT is what you realistically can afford with these future plans, then buy the GT, because it sounds like if you can afford the 2.5, stretch it a tiny bit and get the better car.

I went from a sports coupe to a 2.5i. Deffinitely not as fun to drive, but its very comfortable and great on long trips. Not slow, but it doesn't accelerate like my 06 eclipse gt thats for sure.

I love my LGT. I came from an 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe (with Brembo's, navi, 6MT, etc..) , and I couldn't have made a better dicision in my life. I feel though if I had the 2.5i, I would've traded it in by now.

Keep on topic people! :lol::lol:

The question is not what car you came from, but can you live with a 2.5i after having the almighty GT!!!

I've been through that, I am not only a client, ...blah blah blah!! :lol::lol:

In the near future I may get a GT or Spec B, used of course.

That turbo engine is really really addicting.

X

---

i had an 01 GT...sold that and bought a 07 2.5i limited and love it. I did this for the same reasons as you. I bought a house and my money needs to go elsewhere than modding right now. The 2.5i is a dependable brunette like laz said. You can't go wrong with that!

Why are those 2 cars your only options? If I lived in Florida I don't think I would really consider an AWD car as it is not really worth the trade off in mileage, cost, etc... The main reason I got a Subaru was because they are one of the only companies still offering a wagon, other than unrealiable European models. If Toyota or Honda offered a wagon, they might have gotten my money.

If you are serious about saving money, a NEW car would not be in the equation. Unless you are looking at a new model that is steaply discounted, like a domestic model.

i had an 01 GT...sold that and bought a 07 2.5i limited and love it. I did this for the same reasons as you. I bought a house and my money needs to go elsewhere than modding right now. The 2.5i is a dependable brunette like laz said. You can't go wrong with that!

But your GT was not a turbo ! unless you have a typo.

I would just buy the GT. Eventually you will want to go a little faster and you simply can't do much with the regular Legacy.

One of the main cited reasons people chose the 2.5i over the GT in years past was the gas guzzling effect. Nowadays you could put the SI Drive to good use. When eventually even the 243 hp feel slow, you can always get an Accessport (hopefully by then it will be available) and BOOOM you are happy again and your car feels fast again.

A collaborator of mine has a Ford Fusion. Not exactly a Legacy, but a tad beefier engine - V6, 3 kilos. The car simply doesn't feel the same - in plain English: it is SLOW and UNRESPONSIVE and keep in mind it has more engine than the Legacy.

And the 2007 GT isn't just about the engine and SI drive and the superior drivetrain - limited slip differentials and stability control and etc. It is also about the heated seats and wipers and mirrors and turn signals and 6 CD and MP3 capability - creature comforts that the regular Legacy does not come with.

For the OP. Choose wisely...but I know I would not go back to a slower car. I would replace it with something more fuel efficient ? YES. But if you want to save money - just buy a used car. Between selling the 2005 GT and buying an 2007 regular or getting another 05 GT - you probably lost more money than sticking it out with the GT.

The GT was a fun blond, and the 2.5i is a dependable brunette.

Sorry bro. For me the GT is the scantily dressed Asian woman. The blonde is the {insert €uro automotive brand}

Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen. I have learned from each one.

As for why I haven't gone with another car, or a used one, is that there's not much out there, under 30K that makes it worth it. Used cars = higher interest rate, higher insurance, and I don't want someone else's headache, if in fact that is why the car was traded in. Just don't want to deal with that.

That said, with AWD I am sure when it downpours here that the system will have a better advantage (of course, pending getting rid of the RE92's). Sure, it doesn't snow, but when it rains, it pours...and I almost nearly lost it all, in the stupid BASE PT cruiser (the rental that is now gone, thank goodness -- I still don't know what the 'hype' was about with that thing). Luckily, I made it, somehow...through that one experience, and it's behind me.

As for saving money, my wife and I, alongside my brother, sold a property in NY last year, and have since been renting a house. Then, the wife and I decided that we would look to move, after one year, and well, we did. We all split the money fairly, and also kept my parents share in an account, should they ever need it for medical purposes. They are not getting younger, and who best to take care of them, than their kids? Medical coverage here in the States, for two older people, is just NOT cheap.

Now, back to the 2.5i to 2.5GT debate. I have either option...and feel that I will most likely go with the GT. Here's why. I have enough saved from the sale of the coop for the downpayment on the house, money for the parents, and spare money, that will just grow on interest. I do not touch those funds, since they are technically not mine...so, I just pretend I don't have them.

With the sale of the recently sold LGT, given that I used to pay more on it, than I had to, I made a small profit...so, I wasn't upside down on the loan. Mind you, it's not all that much...since I sold the car for well under book value, had the 30K service performed 2 days before it sold, wheel bearings replaced under warranty, new tires (thank goodness...I hated the RE92's)!!!

Now that I am working again (new state, new job, takes time to get a paycheck... :lol: ), I have a little bit of money that I will add to the earnings, from the car, and will use all of that money as the downpayment....plus some more, out of pocket, to keep the payments low.

With the dealer I have been dealing with (gotta love games), they have quoted me $28,250.00 including taxes/dealer fee, for an '08 LGT with a 5spd., and leather. I don't believe I could beat that, at this point in time. There's also the tag/title fee, which I will pay out of pocket, so as to avoid it in the financing...and since it's only a couple hundred bucks...it's all good.

It will have black leather, and I believe the ONLY option that it has is the Auto Dimming Mirror w/compass (Not even sure it has homelink). Everything else, I can probably add later on in time, but this way, the monthly is low. I can save money by putting more away, this way, and upgrading if/when needed.

Sound good? I would not mind the 2.5i SE. We just bought my wife an '08, through a different dealer. No haggling, they gave us a great price on her trade, and she loves it. We can always add the fog lights, and sub-woofer in a couple of months...we like to save, for rainy days. The only reason I don't feel that I want one, is because I will miss the turbo. Turbo's are a freakin' addiction, I tell you, an addiction.

Mind you, the LGT has it's issues too, from what I have noticed, in the past...the stutter, somewhat decent fit/finish (plastic sucks, no matter which way you slice it), and other little crap. It had it's quirks, and I am sure most of us know what they are...especially if you own an '05.

I never modded the engine...and could outrun most idiots on the road. The suspension is where I would spend my money, alongside brakes/lines/fluids/etc. Then, if/when I am ready (after the house/kids/etc) I can always look into another something or the other.

Apologies for the long rant, but, I guess the LGT wins. At least I will be happy with it, as I was with the previous ones, even with it's quirks.

Cheers,

i.

wait. i'm having trouble understanding all of this.

you had an LGT? sold it, and now you want a new one?

also you are deciding between an LGT and a 2.5i, AND your wife has a 2.5i?

why not drive hers. No point in owning two of the same car IMO.

If money is an issue just get a cheaper temporary car... enjoy hers.

perhaps the next wrx or legacy might excite you more.

no offense to the 2.5i'ers out there. i bet it's a fine car. but it's going to be a disappointment after driving the LGT.

car for sale. PM me!

I went from a GT limited, to a 2.5i Limited. Other than not having the 5 speed in the 2.5i limited, I am mssing very few interior comforts. I even gained some! (AUX in).

The engine is fine for everyday cruiser, and in sports moded it even feels peppy. Is like driving a Nissan Altima (the 2.5 170 HP version).

I chose the 2.5i over all other cars because of the features for the money, the exclusivity of a Legacy, and the AWD (not as sophisticated as the GT, but still there).

GL

X

---

Yeap, I used to have an '05 LGT, BSM with 5MT, and cloth seats. They only made it like that in 05. Sold it, and now, I just need a car, period. Thus, the debate.

Once she starts working again (she's a teacher, and has the summer off, and won't let me drive the car cause it's so new), then we will both need a car. Thus, the requirement for two. Neither of us would mind if it's the same car...but, I feel that the 2.5i will be a slight let down, in the power dept., especially after owning a GT.

The next WRX just doesn't do it for me....the car looks, well...u all know how it looks.

That's what I was going to do. Thing with Florida is, everyone drives at least 5-10 over the speed limit, on the highway. So, if it's a 70 limit, they are going 80, if it's a 45 limit, they are going at least 55. Much faster speeds, down here, as compared to the NYC area (where I used to live).

I am going back tomorrow, to make the final decision. I will test drive the 2.5i manual, just to get a feel for it...otherwise, the GT is gonna come home with me, if I don't like the feel of the 2.5i manual.

I guess I don't understand why your are asking our advice since it sounds like you have made up your mind already. I still don't understand why you are only considering a Subaru. I know that if I didn't need a wagon and hadn't a use for AWD in my climate, I would have probably bought something else.

I guess I am considering another Subaru because I like the way they drive. There's no other car, in the less than 28-30K range that is remotely interesting (barring the WRX, which I have also owned before, but don't want to go back to one).

Honda...boring. Even the Si sedan makes no sense.

Toyota...boring. Nothing remotely inspring about a Camry.

Mazda...depends on the model, but FWD FTL, especially on the MS3.

Ford...no.

Chevy...no.

Chrysler...no.

Anything greater than 30K is too much, i.e. Infiniti G35 sedan, BMW 335i, Lexus IS350 w/6MT, and a Benz C class. They would be way over my budget, for a car...and they depreciate pretty rapidly, over the first couple of years.

Thus, my choice on going back to Subaru. Now, the only decision I have to make is on the 2.5i or the GT. In either trim, they are fine, I just don't know if I would miss the power of the turbo (which I think I may)...but I can't be too sure...which is why I asked the question I did.

Anyone else?

Archived