LegacyGT.com

Common 2.2L problems

I have a '96 Leggy Outback with the 2.2L and I've been have some mpg and fuel efficiency problems.

The car is gutless and was running lean, I replaced the O2 sensor before the cat, and now it seems that the car is running rich on start up.

Any thoughts?

Its normal for cars to run rich on cold start ups. High idle and the egr system help lessen the time spent in this Fuel enrichment state, once it warms up the computer will use the O2 sensors and other various sensors to regulate fuel consumption. Why do you think its running rich? Smell of gas?

My 2.2 is all over the place with Fuel economy. When I I first got it, it was running around 27 MPG, then late summer (and when my wife drove it- 23- 24 MPG). Then I got 26- 27 MPG with the next few tanks, then the last couple have been round 24- 25 MPG (no more A/C, but I wonder if they are switching to the winter gasoline formulations already in the mid-Atlantic- which might explain the recent drop). All of this is about 70% highway driving.

My 2.2 is all over the place with Fuel economy. When I I first got it, it was running around 27 MPG, then late summer (and when my wife drove it- 23- 24 MPG). Then I got 26- 27 MPG with the next few tanks, then the last couple have been round 24- 25 MPG (no more A/C, but I wonder if they are switching to the winter gasoline formulations already in the mid-Atlantic- which might explain the recent drop). All of this is about 70% highway driving.

I think you will find fuel use will go up anytime the wife drives the car. :wub:

I think you will find fuel use will go up anytime the wife drives the car. :wub:

Definitely so and also the dings in the car will magically increase after she drives it as well. My car had lots of little parking lot dings from the previous owner when I got it, but I know the one in the passenger's door is new after she drove it a few times. My son's Honda also got a dent in the rear door after she drove it. And her van- quite wavy- oh, the stories...

Its normal for cars to run rich on cold start ups. High idle and the egr system help lessen the time spent in this Fuel enrichment state, once it warms up the computer will use the O2 sensors and other various sensors to regulate fuel consumption. Why do you think its running rich? Smell of gas?

Yes, I smell a strong stench of gas

It wouldn't hurt to go over the MPG sticky and do what it recommends. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

Basically it tells you to replace spark plugs and wires, clean your MAF, air filter, etc. Is it an auto or manual?

Yes it is a manual

Archived