LegacyGT.com

Weird Noise / Vibration

So, here's the scoop.

i installed a set of one step colder plugs into my 09 spec.b. Install was a pain in the rear, as anticipated, however - it's done. Gapped at about .028 or so. (going stage three next weekend)

Car has 24k on it. Im stage 2 currently.

in the course of the project - i lost a 12 mil socket. Lost it while doing the rear driverside plug. It fell DEEP in the dark corners of the lower block/tranny/frame brace. Couldnt find it for the life of me. It was towards the rear of the engine bay. Thought it wasnt a big deal.

Sooooo... i start up the car. runs fine. idles fine. No CEL's. Take it around the block after it warms up. Good bost. Good performance.

BUT... when i come off a full stop, and then take off (low speed, first gear, first second or two of moving forward ), theres a rattle/vibration coming from the front end/engine bay. i can feel it in my feet. cant trace precisely where it was coming from. I thought for a second that it was misfiring, or the maf sensor wasnt plugged back in. I checked all the coils again. Everything feels tight. Air box is properly assembeled. Connections all inplace. Couldnt find any lose vacum lines... MAF was plugged in.

SO.... im thinking a coil may be broken... A plug could be broken. A line could be knicked somewhere.... Or the ECU could just be relearning....

OR - the socket could be in the inner bowels of the car.. Perhaps wedged in near the motor or tranny mount...?? Any thoughts?

I guess tomorrow i will drive her up on ramps, and take the lower cover off from underneath, and poke around more.

It's just odd, because she's running well. No CEL's. I reset the ECU again with my accessport just for haha's. its just an odd vibration/shake (not really a studder) in low rpms, mainly from a stop. Exhaust sounds a little more tinny too. could be a result of the vibration.

Any thoughts?

if i cant find it tomorrow, i will try to get it to EFI or subie this week for a look over. Checking the plugs, coils, etc... As im NOT doing that plug job again! lol. I just need the car 100% for my turbo install at AZP next weekend. They wont have enough time in the day to chase this issue, and do the build out all in the same day.

THANKS GUYS!

Archived