LegacyGT.com

05' Legacy GT Limited involved in bad accident. Need Opinions!

MTA

Hey everyone. I apologize if I'm jumping the gun posting here as my first post, but I'm looking for an honest opinion on this 2005 Legacy GT Limited I'm looking at. It has 45K miles, an automatic transmission, and has the usual included stock specifications.

Long story short: It was involved in a pretty bad right side accident. The title is a salvage/rebuilt, but the accident is not listed on the CarFax. All other areas seem to check out (stolen/lien, etc.). The right side airbags were deployed. It does need a little work, but seems to be nothing major *knocks on wood* Obviously frame/transmission damage is the number one worrisome outcome.

Here are some pictures of the damage: http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/21789349/COPART_2005_SUBARU_LEGACY_GT_CERTIFICATE_OF_SALVAGE_PITTSBURGH_SOUTH_PA/

And how the car looks now: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedms&csDlId=3184083&csDgId=&listingId=87694044&listingRecNum=12&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26ms%3Dtrue%26stkTyp%3DU%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D0-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705%26dlId%3D3184083&aff=national&listType=1

Looking for your thoughts. Was going to have a certified Subaru dealership give it a complete look over before going any further. I have a few other options so now worries if it doesn't work out.

I appreciate the help! :)

• I Donated
For $10k? No way. I bought my car (clean title, no accidents, but higher miles) for $10k two years ago. Maybe if it was selling for $7k, it MIGHT be worth it, but even after that kind of damage is fixed, there's all sorts of stuff that can go wrong. The "Er HC" on the gauge cluster pre-repair indicates that there may have been problems with the harnesses due to the accident, and who knows if they were repaired right.

Yep....I worked at a shop years ago and we called that kind of hit... (front and rear suspension, airbags...more than 4 panels) a STFAFI car...

"Stay The F Away From It"! :)

Way to many hidden issues in a hit like that.

Thanks guys for the responses! It seems like the consensus is a no go and I'll be saving my $100 bucks for a PPI. I most certainly wouldn't plan on paying $10K for it though. Maybe under $5500 if it wasn't in such a bad hit or it checked out to be sound. Unfortunately all the other GT's are a days trip away so I may have to go another route in my car search.

I hope you keep checking the car for sale forum here.

BTW on your test drive, all these cars tend to pull slightly to the right on the highway at times. Or sometimes to the left. It's just the nature of the beast.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
BTW on your test drive, all these cars tend to pull slightly to the right on the highway at times. Or sometimes to the left. It's just the nature of the beast.

They do? Mine follows the slope of the road, but doesn't pull.

I hope you keep checking the car for sale forum here.

Thanks again guys. Most certainly I'll keep checking. Seems most of the LGTL's are past my price range though.

I already test drove the car already actually. Seemed to drive and handle fine with no problems. Shifted and pulled properly. Didn't sway to the right or left when I brought it on the highway. No strange noises. Brakes good. The major problem I felt was the steering wheel would move up and down slightly even after I adjusted the forward and backward position and height of it then locked it back in place.

Dude seriously there are 05 2.5 GTs all day for $10,000. They run for a long time so don't worry about the miles.

My car also follows the slope of the road.

hell for $7,000 come buy mine! (i might buy a 2009 wrx soon, waiting on bank) mine has miles but mostly highway.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107655&d=1320695642

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116684&d=1335105653

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107652&d=1320695416

Hey man i actually looked at this car in person. test drove it about a month ago. truthfully its not worth 5. it was hit from the rear and smashed into the rear of a truck. so many problems with that car.

When i got to the dealership the car was covered in dust. I had called two hours before i drove all the way there to tell them i was coming to look at it. Figured they could have at least cleaned it up a little. sprayed it with a hose to get the bugs and dust off of it.

1. Drivers side rear wheel - One of the lugs is broken off, not a huge problem but still needs to be fixed.

2. Oil all inside the engine bay on the right side

3. Fog lights are completely ruined

4. Passengers side bumper is held up with steel wire, if you look close the fender has started to rust right next to the light

5. light doesnt line up correctly/sticks out

6. When you open the passengers door the sideskirt is straight but the actual door sill is bent in almost an inch the whole length.

7. Front grill is completely smashed up

8. Center console isnt bolted down, I was able to lift it completely off the carpet.

9. Left side of the car was repainted horribly, check the roof and you will see parts of it chipping off to show the original paint work under it.

10. Trunk wont stay closed because it was never truely fixed, the latch is shimed with 3 different types of washers and the incorrect screws.

11. Trunk doesnt line up with the rear quarter panels.

12. You can literally see the ground when you can open the trunk up. it wont latch back down because the latch has slid to the very bottom of the slot where its bolted.

13. Trunk was resprayed silver and is starting to chip off.

14 Right side trunk skin wont stay attached, check out where it says legacy and you will see what i mean.

15. Harnesses are held up by zip ties and not by actual brackets throughout the entire engine bay.

Thats just what we could see in the lot, not even checking out the underside of the car.

That was what i found with my buddy in about 5 minutes of checking the car out after the test drive. i told the father working there that the most i would ever pay for a car like that was maybe 4k and thats mostly for the motor and transmission.

The car was purchased semi recently at the syracuse auction for somewhere near 4k and they are trying to off load it onto someone else. A friend of mine works at the auction and i told her to find out some info on the car after we had test drove it. and she found out it was sold for right around 4k if i remember correctly. Honestly do not buy this car. if it wasnt reported on the carfax its sketchy. the car should have been totalled. in all reality it was thousands in damage.

Sounds like you want to buy that car. Listen to people here..

Dude seriously there are 05 2.5 GTs all day for $10,000. They run for a long time so don't worry about the miles.

My car also follows the slope of the road.

I walked away from a salvage title wagon about two months ago only later to find one with comparable miles and a clean title for close to the same price several weeks later. I'd wait.

I was looking at that car also.Did not know what kind of hit it had taken though.Just keep looking you will find what you want.It took me like 6 months to find the one I bought.I could not be happier with my car,

Hey man i actually looked at this car in person. test drove it about a month ago. truthfully its not worth 5. it was hit from the rear and smashed into the rear of a truck. so many problems with that car.

When i got to the dealership the car was covered in dust. I had called two hours before i drove all the way there to tell them i was coming to look at it. Figured they could have at least cleaned it up a little. sprayed it with a hose to get the bugs and dust off of it.

1. Drivers side rear wheel - One of the lugs is broken off, not a huge problem but still needs to be fixed.

2. Oil all inside the engine bay on the right side

3. Fog lights are completely ruined

4. Passengers side bumper is held up with steel wire, if you look close the fender has started to rust right next to the light

5. light doesnt line up correctly/sticks out

6. When you open the passengers door the sideskirt is straight but the actual door sill is bent in almost an inch the whole length.

7. Front grill is completely smashed up

8. Center console isnt bolted down, I was able to lift it completely off the carpet.

9. Left side of the car was repainted horribly, check the roof and you will see parts of it chipping off to show the original paint work under it.

10. Trunk wont stay closed because it was never truely fixed, the latch is shimed with 3 different types of washers and the incorrect screws.

11. Trunk doesnt line up with the rear quarter panels.

12. You can literally see the ground when you can open the trunk up. it wont latch back down because the latch has slid to the very bottom of the slot where its bolted.

13. Trunk was resprayed silver and is starting to chip off.

14 Right side trunk skin wont stay attached, check out where it says legacy and you will see what i mean.

15. Harnesses are held up by zip ties and not by actual brackets throughout the entire engine bay.

Thats just what we could see in the lot, not even checking out the underside of the car.

That was what i found with my buddy in about 5 minutes of checking the car out after the test drive. i told the father working there that the most i would ever pay for a car like that was maybe 4k and thats mostly for the motor and transmission.

The car was purchased semi recently at the syracuse auction for somewhere near 4k and they are trying to off load it onto someone else. A friend of mine works at the auction and i told her to find out some info on the car after we had test drove it. and she found out it was sold for right around 4k if i remember correctly. Honestly do not buy this car. if it wasnt reported on the carfax its sketchy. the car should have been totalled. in all reality it was thousands in damage.

Ok ok guys I hear you! :icon_razz I'm looking at others I've already got a few listed that hopefully I'll be looking at within the next week. Will most likely have to go to NJ, PA, OH. I need a new car, and It's either a GT or a Civic..

And TimxMoriss, that's crazy that you saw it as well. I love a fixer-upper, and was going to offer the guy 4K, flat out cash, out the door for it. Def. noticed the paint, the trunk, the center console, the grill, as well as the dust and spider webs on the interior :icon_chee . Most certainly needed a good amount of work.

On a completely other note, how hard is it to replace an interior of these cars? Front and rear seats, head lining, door panels etc. Any DYI on the forum someone might point me to?

Thanks again fellas

Father use to be in used car business. I've regretted every rebuilt/salvage title car I ever owned. I only buy from Private Sellers after car fax/auto check and having a mechanic look at it

It will never run the same. Either electrical issues, mechanical, sensors or just something wont be "right" and it may drive you mad that you will probably never nip it in the butt

My $0.02.

Another issue: Banks dont finance these type of cars and resale you'll get hit. Just not worth the savings unless you are doing a full on track car or are going to have it fully checked out and drive it till the wheels fall off

You know you don't want a civic. Take the time to find a nice leggy, and drive if you have to.

Ditto! I get compliments all the time since I've owned my legacy - most people dont even realize its a subaru...completely different that the models from 10+ years ago my parents use to drive.

Archived