LegacyGT.com

Stealership to resurface rotors - 600 bucks???

carlson1984

Hi, i just got back from my dealership because my brakes are wobbling my whole car when i stop. They told me they would like to resurface them and put new pads on for 288 dollars each front/rear - $576 total!

This seems incredible to me since i was looking around and see new rotors for cheaper than this...

Questions are

1. This price seems incredible right?

2. What are some good alternative rotors/pads besides OEM ones dealership will give me. I did some searching on here and most people are racing and looking for high performance rotors pads while I am more of a daily driver who just wants something that will last me a long time... car is never at track and very rarely abused with the exception of showing the civic ricers whats up when they pull up next to you thinking their bad...

Car is 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan

Thanks

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-759/Centric-Premium-Subaru-Legacy/Detail

http://www.knsbrakes.com/carItemDetails.php?car_id=155&item_id=36792

From there, you just need someone to install them. Pretty easy if you want to do it yourself, there's walkthroughs on here. Takes an hour or two.

If not, check with some vendors on here, there's probably one near you.

Front pads from Subaru list for 95.00. Add two hours of labor per axle (probably 80 pr hr at mininum) and you get $255.00. They most likely would resurface the rotors using an on car lathe, which is much better than taking them off to do so. I doubt Midas would be much cheaper. Shop around and get some quotes, go back to the dealer and see if they will price match.

If you don't care about the rotors looking rusty, then go with ShadowImg option 2. Otherwise, go with ShadowImg option 1.

Lots of people suggest just getting white box blank rotors, but I was getting a lot of pad transfer (otherwise commonly known as warping) with the Napa ones the previous owner had installed. Now I'm essentially running option 1. Stop Techs are great DD pads.

Mustang is right! Do it urself and save a bundle.

That price quote is ludacris if you ask me. Try not to be fooled by that OEM bullshit either. If you are a everyday driver you don't need nothing fancy but regular rotors and pads. I just replaced my rotors for my Corolla for $34.00 a piece and $15 for my Ray Bestos brake pad. Felt no difference from OEM, yes I am referring to a Corolla so prices vary. But the cost is a lot lower than OEM!

Your car is wobbling is because the rotors are warped. Therefore the pistons that are pushing your brake pads forward are retracting back. Some rotors stay in memory where warping again is common, while some have success. My wobbling issue came back in 10K miles. Shady mechanics and dealerships love it when you come for the same problem.

My resolution to the problem was to purchase new rotors and my wobbling effect never came back. I was charge $25 for pair to resurface, while new rotors are only $34 each. Why even bother after that.

yes, a new brake job at a dealer is quite costly. and being a dealer tech i can tell you that most times you are paying for the labor rate. it usually pays 2.0 hrs per front or rear for a brake job. our labor rate is 94 per hour. at that to $80 pads and you understand where its coming from. i do an absolutely fantastic job of machining rotors but most people just slap em on and shave em up as fast as they can. its hit or miss whether you get your money's worth.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

yes, a new brake job at a dealer is quite costly. and being a dealer tech i can tell you that most times you are paying for the labor rate. it usually pays 2.0 hrs per front or rear for a brake job. our labor rate is 94 per hour. at that to $80 pads and you understand where its coming from. i do an absolutely fantastic job of machining rotors but most people just slap em on and shave em up as fast as they can. its hit or miss whether you get your money's worth.

Just curious.....and I have to ask. Not trying to pick a fight here.

Lets say I was to pay $600, only to drive 10-15K miles after the resurface. My wobbling issues starts to persists. Who takes liabilities? the poor bastard that shelled out $600 now must shell out more money to get it resurfaced again? and if that does not get resolved does the poor bastard now must shell out OEM prices along with labor?

Just curious.....and I have to ask. Not trying to pick a fight here.

Lets say I was to pay $600, only to drive 10-15K miles after the resurface. My wobbling issues starts to persists. Who takes liabilities? the poor bastard that shelled out $600 now must shell out more money to get it resurfaced again? and if that does not get resolved does the poor bastard now must shell out OEM prices along with labor?

The guy's on here convinced me it's the pads not the rotors that cause that wobble. You need to buy Hawk HPS pads for the front of your car. Since I did, the problem has not come back. I installed the pads 7,000 miles ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The pads cause it, but it is the rotors that become the problem. The pads transfer friction material to the rotor. If that friction material builds up unevenly, you get "warped" spots, which aren't actually the rotor warping, but pad deposits making the surface uneven. To solve it, you still have to shave the surface of the rotor.

Performance pads tend to be more and more abrasive as you go up, so with more performance pads you have less of this issue, but means you need to be wary of taking the friction material transfer off the rotor entirely, at which point you'll have bad braking and wear your pads/rotors prematurely.

Definitely a multi-part issue. Pads, rotors, and driving behavior are all involved.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#7

2.0 is for resurfacing as well. in reguards to if the 10-15k thing, it depends on the vehicle in question, customer loyalty, and if we think you drive like a douche. some vehicles are prone to warpage. we know that and we usually help you out. especially (loyalty part) if you've been a nice guy and a good customer. if you come in all the time with wore out tires, wore out brakes, and your car looks like a rag, forget it. rule of thumb, the better you treat your car, the better we treat it. and almost 90% of the time it is in fact the pads causing the warping and not the rotors. you can thank heat for that one.

2.0 is for resurfacing as well. in reguards to if the 10-15k thing, it depends on the vehicle in question, customer loyalty, and if we think you drive like a douche. some vehicles are prone to warpage. we know that and we usually help you out. especially (loyalty part) if you've been a nice guy and a good customer. if you come in all the time with wore out tires, wore out brakes, and your car looks like a rag, forget it. rule of thumb, the better you treat your car, the better we treat it. and almost 90% of the time it is in fact the pads causing the warping and not the rotors. you can thank heat for that one.

Just you tubed on the car lather.. That is badass!

500 + for a turn on a set of rotors. They should be convicted felons for charging that. You can have most rotors turned for like $20 a rotor at a machine shop. As long as they measure out within spec for turning. Otherwise just buy new ones and ceramic pads and be on your way. Dealers are a bunch of bastards.

I can agree with that. The dealer charges 90+ bucks an hour. Me as a tech only sees 20 Of that. I dont always agree with policy but it is my place of work. People think it's alot more to have it done at napa and it is. But that guy is paid $8.50 an hour and there isn't that much overhead. Also they font have to warranty anything. If he screws up your rotors, you gotta buy them. If we I screw them up, the dealer has to pay to replace them. Yes dealers are expensive and oh yeah do they hav some crooked people working there. But in the long run, we are more times than none well worth it. Les see napa fix your loss of communication problem that's bringing down your can bus.

I can agree with that. The dealer charges 90+ bucks an hour. Me as a tech only sees 20 Of that. I dont always agree with policy but it is my place of work. People think it's alot more to have it done at napa and it is. But that guy is paid $8.50 an hour and there isn't that much overhead. Also they font have to warranty anything. If he screws up your rotors, you gotta buy them. If we I screw them up, the dealer has to pay to replace them. Yes dealers are expensive and oh yeah do they hav some crooked people working there. But in the long run, we are more times than none well worth it. Les see napa fix your loss of communication problem that's bringing down your can bus.

NAPA doesn't have to fix the can bus problem. We are talking about rotors here, not rocket science!

Personally I started my own shop over 10 years ago because dealers in my area were completely unknowledgeable about most aspects of Subarus, especially any kind of performance upgrades. The exorbitant costs they charge is well beyond what it actually takes to do a job. I understand they need to offset selling cars at or below invoice, but I don't have to like it!

As an example we offer upgraded rotors and pads for less than a resurface and oem pads at local dealerships. Our products cost us more than they cost a dealer and we are still able to make a profit on the service...

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived