LegacyGT.com

1997 gt headgasket help

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second people saying use subaru head gaskets ONLY and definitely follow the proper torque sequence.

You also have to replace the intake manifold gaskets and exhaust gaskets.

While you have it apart you should also do the valve cover gaskets, grommets, and plug tube seals.

If you haven't done it already, timing belt, idlers, waterpump, and tensioner should be done. If one of these components fails you'll need a valve job.

Expensive, but well worth it if the car is in good condition, you have another couple hundred thousand miles left after the repairs.

Other option is a 2.2 swap. They're more reliable and cheaper on parts. Plus you can probably sell the 2.5 for about what you pay for the ej22 and parts to make it reliable... Between buying my ej22 and resealing it I only spent about $100 after selling the heads and intake off the ej25. Now I have a block to play with...

I always use Subaru parts for very crutial area. Headgaskets being one of them. The only thing I use Fel-Pro for is valve cover gaskets and intake/exhaust gaskets, as they are easy to replace if needed.

If you want to be 100% sure, pay the little extra money.

-Kirby

Even for intake and exhaust gaskets, why not just add them to the head gasket order from subaru?

I'd rather not have to take my intake off again, or worse, have a customer come back because an intake gasket blew.

at my local parts store the felpro costs more than the online dealer price for subaru. plus, i took my list to the dealer parts counter and told them i was going to buy all the parts on the list. and if they matched the online price i would buy from them. they did .

oem subaru are <$35 each.

Archived