LegacyGT.com

Slow throttle response

anazeron

My 98 LGT (automatic) has terribly slow throttle response. Just this morning on my commute in to work when trying to merge it took a couple of seconds between when I stomped on it and when the car actually downshifted and started accelerating. This has happened a few times (been getting worse recently). Anyone else had this problem, and/or what should I be looking for to see if I can fix it myself, or should I just take it to the shop?

Mileage is 171k, It's been mine for close to 3 months now, and it's had all the larger maintenance schedule items done, as far as I know. Supar Rupair checked it out when I got the A/C fixed and their basic inspection didn't turn up anything other than that my transmission fluid is a bit dirty.

Car also does the thing where it either will die or will almost die if you let it idle backwards.

Automatic? The valve body is probably gummed up when is the last time you did a fluid and filter flush on the transmission? Also, adjust the throttle cable itself on your throttle body, via I believe 2 12mm nuts, adjust until the cable has no slack in it with out opening the throttle. Start the car, go for a test drive and you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Automatic? The valve body is probably gummed up when is the last time you did a fluid and filter flush on the transmission? Also, adjust the throttle cable itself on your throttle body, via I believe 2 12mm nuts, adjust until the cable has no slack in it with out opening the throttle. Start the car, go for a test drive and you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

I really have no idea when the last time it had a fluid and filter flush, I was planning on getting that done with the next oil change in another thousand miles or so. May try adjusting the throttle cable though, always wanted to do that...

I really have no idea when the last time it had a fluid and filter flush, I was planning on getting that done with the next oil change in another thousand miles or so. May try adjusting the throttle cable though, always wanted to do that...

I have changed ATF on some vehicles which had previously been neglected for periods of mileage as long as 90,000 miles. After the fluid and filter were changed, the new ATF which was replaced (ATF +/+ OEM required fluid) lead to a rather immediate breakdown of the automatic transmission.

The new ATF's are so full of detergeants that some automatic transmissions are only still functioning at all because of the build up of old fluid burned inside of them. When the new fluid circulates, and cleans the transmission bits it may have adverse effects such as slipping, and hesitation which was not previously experienced by the owner.

On the other hand, when an automatic transmission has been properly maintained over time and had regular fluid and filter changes, changing the fluid and filter will allow a less congested fluid motion and produce quicker, smoother shifts, and quite possibly rid your car of hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it hesitate from a stop? Does the engine rev up but the trans hesitate? Does it have enough fluid? Check the throttle plate and have someone step on the pedal. Does it open up all the way? Does it look dirty? Try cleaning it, maybe you need to get a fuel injection service, carbon buildup can slow throttle response.

I'm pretty sure it's the trans. If I give it gas in park it responds right away. It does hesitate from a stop though, but it's like when someone new at driving a manual is learning to start. That's pretty occasional though, and if you give it more gas it stops doing it. And at speed, it just doesn't respond quickly when I give it gas and shifts real slow.

The trans fluid is good, however the mechanics said it needs to be changed when I took it in to get the A/C fixed a couple months ago. I was planning to get it done with my next oil change, but given that the issue seems to be getting worse I might take it in sooner so that I'm not trying to fix my car while going to school.

There is aprocedure in the Tsb section for waking up sluggish transmissions. It worked on our 2000. . Ours would shift out of low at about 5 or 6 mph and the short shift from 2nd to 3rd also and would be slow to downshift at WOT while rolling also. I did the throttle cable adjustment deal but this TSB procedure seemed to have worked.

I believe the link to or the pdf of the referenced TSB was on this site somewhere.

Found it

TSB2006MY says its for foresters and Impresa 2.5 but is should work for all electronic trans i think.

I guess this is actually for the ECU's timing control learning curve but it might be worth a try.

Stall method

Warm engine till fan comes onengage parking bake, and road brake place transmission in drive and fully depress the acc pedal for 5 seconds. Place trans in neutral and let engine idle for 5 seconds repeat cycle 4X.

Road method

warm engine till fan comes on.

with car stopped and brake on select 2nd gear.

accelerate from 0 to 35 or 3200 rpm. Repeat 5X

He its free and might do the trick give it a shot. I prefer the on the road method to the static brake loading deal.

• 4 weeks later...

hello people... i have posted this in many different threads but havent found a reply... m sorry for hijacking this thread....

i have this problem in my sub and i really cant figure it out...

ODI self test CEL is showing numb 66, i checked every where but i cant find that code, its not there even in the manual. so when the CEL light for this number comes... the car doesnt rev above 4000rpm and starts sort of pushing the rev to 3200 from 4000.... this happens after i have floored the car and then slowed down like in the round about and then when i want to floor it again (it starts pushing the rev down from 4000) or some times when i floor the car when the engine is a bit cold. please guys, i really want to sort the car out as i just cant enjoy the drive when i kno there is a prob... any help will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

i drive a 95 lgt, twin turbo, automatic transmission.

Archived