LegacyGT.com

Cleaning MAF Sensor

You should not need to reset the ECU unless you got CEL.

When I wiped my MAF and IAT with a dry Q-tip, I got two CEL for the sensors, I cleared the codes and the car runs fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
^ This was my impression as well. I used CRC MAF cleaner (enough propellant to avoid using anything in direct contact with sensors) and once blasted and dried - reset ECU and I've gained MPG and butt dyno says car is smoother under acceleration.

Ditto, I do it every oil change.

• 5 months later...

I will be getting a retune by Bren in the next couple weeks and I have never cleaned my MAF but I am planning on it before the tune as well as cleaning the Cobb SF intake.

thanks for the info

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey thought I would just say thank you to you all for this thread, I was told I needed a new MAF but before dropping 200 bones on a new one I went down to my local car super store and picked up some CRC MAF cleaner for 20 bucks.

So after cleaning the MAF (or so I thought) there was a small change but not that much as I was still having issues. Turns out I cleaned the IAT sensor (which was dirty as heck) but after checking the forums you guys pointed out that the 2 MAF sensors are tiny wires in the nose part of the sensor. So after a blast from the cleaner they are shiny and the car is running great again and a clear improvement and a money saver!

So as an aside the issues I had resulted from a K&N filter and the oil residue vaporising and building up on the MAF and IAT sensors (over 2 years mind you) which caused the issues. Hesitation, stalling, power loss the normal story, anyway so if you use a K&N filter just be aware of this issue.

• 3 years later...
Gunna try to clean my MAF because I'm changing my Cobb filter and a slight stutter when at a stop

Very simple to do, unplug the connect and take out the 2 screws. Pull it out and spray it with brake or MAF cleaner. It's a 5 min job.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived