LegacyGT.com

To Wing It or not?

Trying to get some feedback on peoples thoughts on the spoiler for a GT Ltd. When I was working the deal for my new Leg, the car I wanted had the spoiler already on it. I discussed having the trunks swapped with a car without the spoiler. When I went to pick up the car, the spoiler was still there and I didn't have time to wait around for the swap. Now my "price" includes the spoiler, a $380 option. What are your thoughts on the spoiler? Does it complete the car? Make it look kiddish or Rice? Does it detract from the look?

[quote name='QToo']Trying to get some feedback on peoples thoughts on the spoiler for a GT Ltd. When I was working the deal for my new Leg, the car I wanted had the spoiler already on it. I discussed having the trunks swapped with a car without the spoiler. When I went to pick up the car, the spoiler was still there and I didn't have time to wait around for the swap. Now my "price" includes the spoiler, a $380 option. What are your thoughts on the spoiler? Does it complete the car? Make it look kiddish or Rice? Does it detract from the look?[/quote] I personally think it looks a tad tacky and ruins the lines of the car. The STI trunk lip spoiler looks more of what should be on the GT. VERY nice.

[quote name='PeteNJ']I personally think it looks a tad tacky and ruins the lines of the car. The STI trunk lip spoiler looks more of what should be on the GT. VERY nice.[/quote] I've heard other people say the same thing, but I like the GT spoiler. Of course, it bears a striking resemblence to the spoiler on my '97 GT so maybe I'm biased. :lol: My opinion is it give the car a "finished" appearance, hints at its potential with screaming RICE, and emphasises the rake of the car by making the back end look even higher compared to the front. All good things, IMHO. -- Bill

Personally I would have it either way, at least seeing from pics. I've seen a few sedans in person w/o the spoiler, they look fine. From the pics I've seen, the spoiler looks just as good. Then again, like Bill (we have virtually identical cars) I have a spoiler on my current, soon to be past '97 Leg GT. I don't mind it, but it's not for everyone. The car looks good either way IMO. If you don't want it, don't take delivery until it's removed as you wanted. It's a buyers market.

Personally i wouldn't waste the money on the spoiler. I would just get it without. Perhaps in the future they will release that small rear spoiler that's available in Japan. Then I would jump all over it, until then, save the money and buy something else. I don't mind the look, I just dont' think it adds anything to the car. I like the lines without.

Like an A4 and the S40, the car is designed with such a nice tail that the wing isn't necessary. Like Zevil says, the lines just flow better without interruption. I imagine that aftermarket wings will proliferate in the next 5 months, so it might be worth waiting to see what arrives.

i remember tail fins from when i was a kid. they got larger and gaudier for many years before they faded away. if you're not racing formula 1, spoilers are the tailfins of the '90s and '00s.

I actually like the spoiler. It's not bad at all. But I prefer it spoilerless. You really shouldn't pay for it. Ask them to take it off and repaint the trunk. They will probably be willing to swap trunks then.

[quote name='UrQ']Like an A4 and the S40, the car is designed with such a nice tail that the wing isn't necessary. Like Zevil says, the lines just flow better without interruption. I imagine that aftermarket wings will proliferate in the next 5 months, so it might be worth waiting to see what arrives.[/quote] The aftermarket ones are 99% of the time much gaudier.

It doesnt make the car look rice at all, for mine it makes the car look a little common. I have to agree with PeteNJ that the STi lip spoiler looks the best. Not sure what ppl's thoughts are but what do you think of the GT style spoilers you see on a lot of "Rice" cars for the GT?

[quote name='agctr']It doesnt make the car look rice at all, for mine it makes the car look a little common. I have to agree with PeteNJ that the STi lip spoiler looks the best. Not sure what ppl's thoughts are but what do you think of the GT style spoilers you see on a lot of "Rice" cars for the GT?[/quote] I haven't seen it on one yet, but I would have to say it wouldn't fit the car. The car was designed to look pretty much like a family car, so it would be like putting one of those on a Camry. But then again, I haven't seen it. I hope I don't ever see it though, but someone's bound to do it :(. Hopefully it's for a touring car team or something of the sort where they actually have a use for it.
-ben

Yes I agree. I think you would totally have to kit out the car so it would all suit. This would include the carbon bonnet style as well. Im sure the 2Fast Crew will have something in the pipeline if they dont already.

Hmm not sure, then again we should approach companies like C-West to see if they have any designs in the pipeline just for the GT, they have had for other car makes I suppose. I wonder if they will ever bring out GT styled mirrors in carbon, that would look trick.

No spoiler for me. Don't get into a rush and get the car if you don't like it. I'd rather pay $300 extra for a car without the wing, but that's personal. The lip spoiler looks great though.

I don't like how the spoiler is the width of the trunk lid. It looks like it comes up short. I think it would have looked better if it hung over on the sides so that it was the width of the rear end instead. But either way, I don't think the sedan needs a spoiler. If anything, I'd want one of those ultra-stubby M3 spoilers, but that's about it.

Hmm the normal spoiler as I said before makes the car look very common. The STi lip spoiler just polishes off the car nicely but would you slide an LED in with it ?

I would mount the LED higher, if it were my choice.

I'd use the pictured spoiler on the decklid, is sits in the rear character line, rather than above it, like the STi unit in the upper left corner of your screen.

I'l have a smaller version of the pictured spoiler adhered above the rear window, with an LED bar in it, possibly even the one that is in the wagon's roof spoiler. I'd disconnect the interior CHMSL. I like the newest Olds Auroras with the rear fogs and the wide CHMSL inside the upper edge of the rear glass.

I figure if it is supposed to be a center high-mounted stop lamp, then more height is better. why bother putting it on the trunklid, if it is only going to be an inch or two higher than the tail lights. It is mostly for conspicuousness at a distance, and indication of brakes at a standing stop, when big vehicles are directly behind you, and can't see the lower tail lights.

LegacyRearSpoiler2.jpg.37a52ecb7e270ae1a991d9a235b95af2.jpg

That lid spoiler looks really great, matches in and finishes off the looks with classic lines. Curious if STi would offer a lid spoiler like that either in normal plastic and colour or pure carbon fibre. That would look very nice. Also Paul, I see what you mean when u say the back wiper takes up a lot of real estate, then again it shouldnt get too much in the way looking out the rear view mirror. I had a flat back CRX, and the bar on that was right in the middle and I got used to that in no time.

Archived